SD Card Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SD Card Problem

This evening I took the SD Card out of the camera to download pictures onto my computer. When I tried to put the SD Card back into the camera the SD card would not lock back into place. Not sure what happened, I removed the SD Card & Battery, using a flash light I noticed a small orange piece of plastic stuck in the bottom of the SD Card Slot. The Orange Plastic match the orange color of the SD Card I was using. My next step was to try a blower to see if that would release the piece of plastic. When that didn't work, I used a paper clip to un-wedge the plastic. That worked and the now the SD Card slips back into place.

So if your SD card doesn't lock back into place after removing it. Check for any small broken pieces of the card that might be wedged in the SD Card Slot.

Tom

Re: SD Card Problem

Sounds like you had a lucky break there Tom, the luck was being able to remove the broken piece. Good job it wasn't a CF card which had bent the connector pins
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Sounds like you were lucky to be able to retrieve the broken piece of plastic Tom, if it had been stuck-fast then I guess it would be an expensive repair

I've had a couple of SD cards begin to disintegrate over the years, usually down to the cameras not ejecting them very far and the constant use of fingernails to pull them out then takes its toll. Is the EOS-M one of these cameras, or does it eject the card a reasonable distance to allow a firm grasp?
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks for the tip Tom. Will keep it in mind.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Glad that's all sorted Tom. Definitely worth a reminder to us all to insert/remove any card carefully, and replace any worn items before they cause issues!

I must admit I've never had a problem with SD or CF cards at all in any device I've used, but I'm always careful when handling them.

Mike
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
            Is the EOS-M one of these cameras, or does it eject the card a reasonable distance to allow a firm grasp?
            It gives a reasonable distance for a firm grip.

Tom

Comment

Tom, thanks for the cautionary tale. I know people tell me it is slower than using a card reader, but the moral of this story to me is to stick with downloading my pictures from the camera (unless obviously I've actually filled the card). The less things with pins that you have to pull out and push back in the better.
              Canon EOS 7D
              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Working...
              X