Most useful function on your Canon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most useful function on your Canon

OK, we've been discussing reasons for upgrades, great! Now think about the MOST useful function on your(old/previous) model and then since upgrading, what is the most useful? How has this function helped you in your photography? Bearing in mind, the most useful, so you have to select one function. Hopefully, this is not too limiting, as there are indeed a lot of really useful stuff on the later models, but try to think that out of all these options, which is the most useful to use. This will be interesting to find out what users really find valuable!
    It might be the higher ISO i.e. >1600, video option, live mode, spot metering, micro focus adjustments, (having a split level in the 7D?), faster burst rate...

For me, I think the most useful is the ability to change focus points - albeit only 7 on the 350D - A very simple basic function, but I use this a lot.

cheers
    Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Re: Most useful function on your Canon

For me it's back button focus.

The ability to separate focussing (tracking) from exposure has improved my "keep rate" quite considerably. It takes weeks and weeks until it becomes second nature, but the results are worth the effort. New camera has a slightly larger button, so I may be able to use it with gloves during this cold weather.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

How is the 1D mk4 ??
      ef-r

Comment

For me it is the spot metering facility & secondly the facility of using all my EF lenses on the camera bodies to date. Congratulations Canon. Keep it up.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

The Shutter Release is the most useful function, without which we'd all struggle !
          rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
            How is the 1D mk4 ??
            Conspicuous by its absence Brian.

I am patiently awaiting the telephone call and grateful that I didn't hold my breath, or I would definately be in the same state as the parrot in the famous Monty Python sketch by now.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

The " ON " SWITCH! lolrotf

Comment

Originally posted by collywobbles View Post
                The " ON " SWITCH! lolrotf
                touché
                Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

For me ... it's the keeper rate for flash photography that has improved as the years pass by. Remember those manual everything cameras with a manual Sunpak atop. Mind you that's how I started in 35mm. However my 580EX looks a bit silly atop my G10 ;-) (it works though) but the 580EX can be remote controlled by the 7D which is nice.

So E-TTL II (okay it may be a technology, not a function per se).

Comment

Working...
                  X