Canon down 19%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon down 19%

Shocking figures, but according to this, Canon sold 19% fewer digital cameras in the second quarter of this year, than they did in Q2 2012.

What is to blame? The crisis? Uninspiring choice of products? Market saturation?

I imagine in a combination of the above. Canon's own choices have a lot to do with it. I believe the SLR market is more or less saturated. But mostly, it has to do with other manufacturers offering more interesting products.

Look at the Fujifilm cameras. The XF1 for real compacts. The X10 and X20 for mid-level compacts. The X100 and X100s for the high end. And the X-series for mirrorless, interchangable lens cameras.

I'd prefer all of them to their Canon counterparts.

Olympus is offering their Pen series. Panny with their various Lumix cameras.

What has Canon to offer? A few uninteresting Ixuses and PowerShots, bulky SLRs (which are top notch and awesome, admittedly) and the EOS M.

I firmly believe that mirrorless is where it's happening and Canon is dragging their feet. The EOS M was late, slow and boring.

Canon is giving that new market to the competition.

(before I get banned, kicked and excommunicated, let me say that the above rant is MY OPINION and not necessarily the reason for the 19% drop)
    myTube
    Twitter: @VilliAsgeirsson
    Canon EOS 60D - 50mm f1.8 - 50mm f1.4 - 18-135mm f4-5.6 - 100mm f2.8 macro - Speedlite 480EX - Canon EOS 500D

Re: Canon down 19%

The Global Revenue of their Imaging division grew by 4.4% in the same period, so selling less cheap compacts (26% less) but getting more money overall (actually I think camera sales revenue was only up 0.8%, but they did great with the printers, selling 3% less units for 17.3% more money). It's really only Canon and Nikon that make any money selling cameras, well plus some smaller people like Leica, everyone else is losing money (although since Sony merged the professional video division into the Camera division they are making a small profit.)

Comment

Yes, absolutely. The cheap compacts are becoming pointless since everyone has a smartphone with a decent camera. That's why we're seeing all the higher specced compacts and system cameras. A great development, if you ask me.

The frustration that can be read out of my original post has to do with me wanting to size down and not seeing Canon offering anything interesting. I have been an EOS user for 15 years and dEOS for half that. The 60D is fantastic for video shoots and "planned" photography. I am drooling over the 70D. I am getting a bit tired of the bulk though. I am currently in my native Iceland on holiday. I bring the camera everywhere and it's like having a large dog. I find a seat and then a place where I can put the camera. It's either in a large-ish bag at my feet or occupying way too much space on the table. And it gets noticed everywhere.

I want to take photos, not brag about my gear.

I would have loved to love the EOS M, but I don't. It's the layout and looks, not the sluggish AF. For the first time in years, I am looking at other systems because Canon has nothing for me.

So, here I am, waiting to see what Canon and Fuji do next. What will pull me in, a new EOS M or a new X-E1? It could go either way. I'll wait to see what the autumn brings and make a decision.

Things holding me back at the moment are:
      Canon: The M has no external controls. I don't feel like digging in menus to change every setting. I want a really good manual focus mode. I want a real camera at a reduced size.
      Fujifilm: Has all that, but the video mode is rubbish. I need a good video mode. Canon has spoilt me.

(...another disclaimer: I still love Canon, I wouldn't nag like this if I didn't...)
      myTube
      Canon EOS 60D - 50mm f1.8 - 50mm f1.4 - 18-135mm f4-5.6 - 100mm f2.8 macro - Speedlite 480EX - Canon EOS 500D

Comment

Fully agree. I am ready to buy a lighter but fully capable camera, but not sure what Canon is doing with the M so started to explore other systems. M would only be interesting if it has serious camers and lenses.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/22498927@N05/sets/

Comment

IMHO I find that the Canon brand is very good, having used their cameras since the 1970's. I moved from Pentax to Canon. Presently I am looking to downsize ,on the weight criteria,some areas but I won't discard the 60D unless for a higher specification camera. Presently I have/am looked at/looking at other brands but keep coming back to Canon. If the EOS M had a viewfinder I am sure it will be a winner.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

My wife and I have had Canon's for 45 years.
            We live in Australia and are currently in Mexico.
            Over the last couple of years we have travelled extensively through Asia and USA each time taking less camera equipment to reduce the weight of our luggage.
            This obviously impacts on what lenses we take and have reduced from 6 in total to one each.
            Yesterday we were almost arrested for taking shots of the military here in Mexico and I think it was because of the bulk of our cameras.
            Others were using point & shoots or phone cameras and had no problem.
            We are seriously considering downsizing but have been addicted to Canon.
            We are ageing and maybe it's time we look seriously at other brands if Canon don't want to address the size and mass issues.
            We don't want to loose too much versatility (in long, wide, ISO and aperture) but sacrifices may have to be made.
            Regards
            Neville

Comment

Villi - it will be interesting to see what the next two M models look like (allegedly the next but one will be the interesting one).

If you want smaller there are the big sensor compacts like the RX100 (with limited lens reach, but an awesome bit of kit) or the mirrorless offerings (E-P5+VF4, GX7, etc.). It depends what you want to shoot/spend/carry? Have you tried the EOS-M AF after the firmware update (IMHO it seems better, but not up there with RX100 and m43)? (Rather annoyingly manufacturers tend to keep shipping the old firmware for some time after the new stuff comes out, I think mostly supply-chain delays.) The XE-1 AF isn't so hot either, alas. Fun camera wth a slight lack of lenses.

Comment

Both the EOS M and the Fuji AF seem to have improved after recent firmware upgrades. Neither of the current ones fit my bill, so I'm waiting for the next generation.

Sony seems to have great cameras, but lacking in lenses and that all-important "something". The EOS range has always "spoken to me". The current Fuji X-system does as well. Sony doesn't. Can't say what it is. They are all technically fine, but some talk to you while others don't.

As for the Fuji lens range. It is currently perfectly adequate and they have a published roadmap, unlike the EOS M range. Further, I'd probably get a good zoom lens (18-55) and a very good prime (35 1.4). Then I'd love to play with vintage lenses. The Fujis are making leaps in manual focusing, the Canon isn't. Yet.

So, I'm up for grabs. It's up to the companies where photography will take me.
                myTube

Comment

Good luck whichever way you go - I'm pretty much done this year having doubled-down on m43 and added a couple of Canon lenses and a printer, the credit card is now due a Summer holiday... plus Autumn and Winter probably...

Comment

Working...
                  X