Canon Battery Grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon Battery Grips

Do members use the Canon battery grips- be it for the 350d,400d,450d,500d etc etc- and how useful are they? They are frequently advertised as being helpful for shooting over long periods of time. Are the Alkaline batteries,usually 6, better than the two rechargeable batteries used with the battery grip>
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Canon Battery Grips

Yes, I use the BG E3 for the 350D(should add it to my signature). They are very useful, esp for the 350D, as the body is a bit small, I think the grip helps balance the camera in the hand. I prefer having it on, than off and it mostly stays on the camera. It certainly gives the camera more weight, can be a good or bad thing! It is also good for vertical shooting, and you have the controls on the grip! I use the two battery packs, haven't tried it with the AA batteries yet.
    Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Would not be without mine on a 30D help balance the camera when using the 70-200 f2.8 and a must have for shooting in portrait layout. Two batteries are far better than 6 AAs

Comment

I use one on my 10D (yes that very old 10D !) 'cos it makes it much easier to shoot in portrait.
        John

Comment

I use one on the 400D. Had when I bought the 70-200 f4 in order to counter-balance it. I find much better battery life (offset by longer charging time since you always have to do both) and it's a must for vertical shooting. Wouldn't be without it now.
          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

The six AA battery cartridge is useful as a back-up/stand-by if, god (sic ) forbid, one's batteries should run down - and the two batteries will last a long time, which was my main reason for having them ( grips ) on both my camera bodies.

Comment

I was rather put off buying one (aside from the cost) by reports of poor connectivity (power being lost as if a connection was broken) and, more worrying, the thread stripping on the wheel used to tighten it to the camera. Seemingly, there is an internal plastic cog which bears directly onto the steel threaded pin which goes into the cameras tripod socket and which can easily strip if done up too tight, meaning that you cannot remove the grip without some serious surgery, usually at a repair centre. If you Google the issue there is quite a lot of information.

I'd imagine that so long as one doesn't over tighten things should be okay, but it's rather disconcerting nonetheless and for the money I would have expected a better standard of construction. I can understand the benefits when doing lots of portrait shots and also the contingency of being able to use AA batteries, but for battery life what's wrong with just carrying a few spares? Changing batteries is not exactly arduous after all!

Comment

I don't have one for my 30D yet but hope to do so soon. Even though the 30D is larger than my previous 350D I still find I am looking for a bit more at the bottom of the camera to give it a more stable and comfortable fit in my hand (but then I do have fairly large hands!). Has anyone tried the Hahnel offering with the inbuilt wireless remote control facility?

Comment

Originally posted by breezy View Post
                  I was rather put off buying one (aside from the cost) by reports of poor connectivity (power being lost as if a connection was broken) and, more worrying, the thread stripping on the wheel used to tighten it to the camera. Seemingly, there is an internal plastic cog which bears directly onto the steel threaded pin which goes into the cameras tripod socket and which can easily strip if done up too tight, meaning that you cannot remove the grip without some serious surgery, usually at a repair centre. If you Google the issue there is quite a lot of information.

I'd imagine that so long as one doesn't over tighten things should be okay, but it's rather disconcerting nonetheless and for the money I would have expected a better standard of construction. I can understand the benefits when doing lots of portrait shots and also the contingency of being able to use AA batteries, but for battery life what's wrong with just carrying a few spares? Changing batteries is not exactly arduous after all!
                  I've just done a brief search, and the problem seems to relate to the BG-E2 and not the BG E3 models and later... I guess the rule of thumb is not to tighten the grip too much!
                  Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Thank you for all your replies, which is much appreciated. Being a tight fisted Accountant- acutally an Auditor, what do members think of the alternative battery grips sold via Hong Kong and Chinese sources. Are they as good as the Canon grips? In asking this question I am aware that many members use Non Canon lenses from other makers like Sigma,Kenko,Tamron on their Canon bodies and are very satisfied with the results.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I was only reading this in the morning Photography Bay Article

Comment

MX5 .Great information. Much appreciated.Is there a UK branch for this firm?

Comment

Thank you members for all your advice/comments. I have now bought a battery grip BG-E5 from an alternate supplier (much cheaper) for my 450d. As advised I note that I can handhold my 75mm-300mm lens much better.

Comment

I have only used Canon Battey Grips... On my 350D the E3 made a great diference to the feel of the camera. Better balance and easier fit in the hand. Iaveh just purchased an E7 for my new 7D, this based on my experience with the E3. I have not been disapointed. If you can justify it, buy it. You will enjoy the better feel of the whole thing and also benefit from the super battery life...
                            EOS 1DX, EOS 5D mkiii, EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f4 L USM, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS USM, EF 50mm f1.2 L, EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM, Speedlite 580EX

Comment

Working...
                            X