Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing images for the next generation

Hello Members,

This might be a morbid new thread but could members let me know (&others) what they do to ensure that the next generation look at your beutiful and carefully post digitalised pictures/photos. I personally print my best photos and stick them into albums covering the various places I have visited- alteast that way I know that my children and grandchildren will look at them at some point in time. I do not believe in keeping photos/images on DVD's & on the hard drive of my computer as I do not think that the next generation will bother to look at them. In short they will be lost to posterity. I personally like to ensure that the next generation and thereafter take at look at my great interest- photography (amongst others of course).

I am perhaps a "selfish" person and would like my interst to be seen by the younger generation and perhaps take up my hobby.

Let me know what my fellow members think.

I apologise if this thread is in the wrong place.
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 18-01-2010, 14:26. Reason: Forgot to add this
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Storing images for the next generation

This is a major concern everywhere in IT. Not only the media no longer being supported (recall 8" floppy disk, then 5.25" etc) but also the application (Lotus Manuscript anyone).

So we all need a strategy for moving and converting our prize digital assets whilst media and applications are still extant. I see no sign of the demise of CF cards and regular hard drive in the short term, and Canon will likely support raw formats for a long time.

So such a strategy should be incorporated into your backup regime.

Comment

Re: Storing images for the next generation

Hello Nathaniel;

Apart from making adequate dual electronic back-ups of ALL my images (just in case one drive fails)...

I also print my best images (or others that I really want for family etc) to a series of books...

IMO - they are more 'presentable' than simple albums, because you are able to annotate them, utilise differing image sizes and presentations etc. and they have the 'feel' of 'coffee-table' picture books about them. They don't 'appear' as 'boring' (to others) as a simple picture album woluld!

I am currently using Blurb's BookSmart [www.blurb.com]. Although the software is somewhat flaky, once you get used to its foibles, it's perfectly workable. The quality is very good, and the value-for-money is excellent.

If you do a Google search for 'Print on Demand Books' you'll get a good number of potential links...
      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Working...
      X