Decisions, decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decisions, decisions

After much deliberation I was set on going FF with a 6D then along comes 70D.

Seems like its a good camera and having some EF-S lenses would kind of make sense.

Might have to wait and see what early adopters of 70D think and then plump for one or the other.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Re: Decisions, decisions

I'm in the same boat antoeknee
    I have a 7D which is OK but never been pleased with the higher ISO IQ
    I also have a 5D2.
    I have considered finally upgrading the 5D2 for the 5D3 but for roughly the same price I can get a 6D + EF 8-15L fisheye zoom which has been on my wishlist for a while now.
    Also, my 600D is up for sale locally as since buying into the Lumix CSC system I never use it

My decisions are
    1) Sell my 7D as well and with the proceeds of both the 7D and 600D buy a 70D
    2) Splash out and buy the 5D3 or opt for the 6D + lens. This would have to be after selling my gripped 5D2
    3) Save my money and be grateful for what I've got.

I've even thought of jumping ship to the Lumix system and buying the GH3 + 3 premium lenses.

At the moment decision #3 is well in the lead but that changes dailly

Best of luck
    Mike
    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

I've been batting and balling between going for the 7D or the 70D when it comes out. So I know what you mean.

Feel I'm ready for upgrading... whether I am, or I'm not I suppose is another matter.

I'm hoping that the price of the 70D will drop a little after its come out, and considering searching either the pre Christmas, or January sales which will hopefully make it an easier decision.
      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

Thus far the 70D is getting some very good previews. But (as the Lumix has been cited) the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 has upped the CSC game ... I'm hoping that spurs Canon to extend and expand it's 'M' offerings or something between the G-series and EOS DSLR.

Comment

Rest assured a better camera will appear in nine months time... from any starting date you care to assign.
          (The only exception is if you buy a new camera, then it's in 3 months...)

BTW I have a 5DmkII, GH3 and RX100 and nothing out there is worrying me :-)
          (ain't beer/wine handy... hey, after a day carrying the 85/1.2 around I'm entitled... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
            Rest assured a better camera will appear in nine months time... from any starting date you care to assign.
            (The only exception is if you buy a new camera, then it's in 3 months...)

BTW I have a 5DmkII, GH3 and RX100 and nothing out there is worrying me :-)
            (ain't beer/wine handy... hey, after a day carrying the 85/1.2 around I'm entitled... ;-)
            Too true ... I have my 5D3 and RX100 ... and just looking for something "in between" to take over from the venerable 40D (should it ever die) ... I'm thinking 100D or 70D or a Panasonic G or Fuji X ... but who knows what may come along ... all part of the fun

Comment

The 6D or 70D would be as a second body for me to add to current 60D. As I'm hopefully stopping working Oct next year its likely to be something I'll buy 2nd or 3rd quarter so there is every chance another EOS will arrive to complicate matters, 7D mk2?

Cameras are a bit like computers where it doesn't matter what you buy something better comes out day after.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

I was a bit underwhelmed with the EOS M to be honest. I would have loved to be proved wrong as there are some very happy "M" users here on the forums.

I think the 100D sits nicely between Lumix G series and EOS DSLR - even though it is an EOS DSLR (If you know what I mean )
                Had I waited I would probably have bought the 100D instead of the Lumix G5 and GX1

Mike
                Last edited by SamFisher; 13-08-2013, 10:38.

Comment

I have been toying with getting a 5D classic!

Comment

Originally posted by SamFisher View Post
                    I'm in the same boat antoeknee
                    I have a 7D which is OK but never been pleased with the higher ISO IQ
                    I also have a 5D2.
                    I have considered finally upgrading the 5D2 for the 5D3 but for roughly the same price I can get a 6D + EF 8-15L fisheye zoom which has been on my wishlist for a while now.
                    Also, my 600D is up for sale locally as since buying into the Lumix CSC system I never use it

My decisions are
                    1) Sell my 7D as well and with the proceeds of both the 7D and 600D buy a 70D
                    2) Splash out and buy the 5D3 or opt for the 6D + lens. This would have to be after selling my gripped 5D2
                    3) Save my money and be grateful for what I've got.

I've even thought of jumping ship to the Lumix system and buying the GH3 + 3 premium lenses.

At the moment decision #3 is well in the lead but that changes dailly

Best of luck
                    Mike
                    Just a wee update
                    I decided in the end with stick with Canon.
                    I managed to sell my 600D no problem.
                    I advertised my 7D locally and that sold no problem.
                    In my ad, someone mentioned that she was looking for a 5D2 and did I know of anyone selling one. I asked her to make me an offer and she offered more than I was expecting.

To cut a long story short, I now have the 70D which I love more and more each time I use it, and a 6D which I bought yesterday from Jessops - Free Battery Grip, LR5, Premier Elements 11 and £150 cashback

I'm still using my Lumix G5 from time to time but still haven't got round to getting my 8-15L which has been put on the back burner for a while as I really need to get myself another 70-200 of some description.

Anyone else updated since their original post?

Mike

Comment

Nope still undecided and suspect I'll be toying with choice for some time.

Your current bodies, 70D and 6D seem like good choice. Quite happy with my 60D and if I think about it its probably better high ISO performance and maybe something like the AF point expansion/zone that is driving my desire for second body.

Of course a 5D of some kind would probably be nice but think perhaps a bit too much for my pocket and will keep funds for some more L lenses in future.

Comment

A 70D and a 6D? Now that's a combo for every occasion!

How do you find the 70D compared with your 7D? I'm surprised by the number of folks who are going the 7D route considering how close the two bodies prices are.
                        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Some people seem to be concerned about differences in build.

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                            Some people seem to be concerned about differences in build.
                            I do wonder how "real" that difference is between the Mg-alloy and engineering-plastic structure. I've seen the videos of camera abuse endured by Canon's pro-bodies, and I can feel the difference between the tactile quality of my (part) alloy body vs. my engineering-plastic body, but I've not heard of anyone damaging a plastic-bodied camera in real-life situations.
                            Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Certainly in the past there may have been 'concerns' about plastic construction but modern plastics and construction should certainly be more than durable for the lifetime and beyond of any camera.

Comment

Working...
                              X