7D built in flash not working....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D built in flash not working....

I recently purchased a Speedlite for my 7D - working fine mounted on the camera. I then went to use the in built flash and it won't pop up. I went into the Flash Control menu, and in Built-in flash func. setting - it comes back with "this menu cannot be displayed. An accessory is attached to the camera hot shoe"!! Basically, the flash will not pop up at all and I can't therefore use the Speedlite off camera. I get the impression that this is fairly common with Canon, something to do with the connectors in the hot shoe getting depressed and fooling the sensor that a Speedlite is attached

Can anyone shed any light on this (very funny!) and give me any ideas how this can be fixed

Really appreciate your help and ideas!

Thanks

Andy

Re: 7D built in flash not working....

Hi Andy

I think you've already hit on the issue... the sensor switch is probably stuck down. Check the hot shoe and see if you can jiggle the switches. I think the 'flash connected' one is at the front edge (nearest the lens side), on the right as you look at the camera when holding it as you would normally.

Hope that helps. Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I think both you and Mike have hit on the problem, it is known to happen and can usually be fixed with carful manipulation of the little pin that is stuck down by easing it back into the up position with a thin sewing needle or something similar, but be careful not to damage things by being heavy handed.

Comment

I carry a mini screwdriver. On either side of the hotshoe is a little metal strip which the flash pushes down. Sometimes it doesn't quite come back up and a little prodding with the screwdriver (switch the camera off first) re-establishes the connection it needs.

Pretty poor piece of engineering, though.
        Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Thanks for all your responses - have been trying to get the pin/sensor up with a tooth pick but to no avail so far. Will try again. Agree, very poor engineering! What do you think about a drop of WD40 or equivalent? Haven't tried it yet but am considering all options!

Comment

Originally posted by Andywsurf View Post
            What do you think about a drop of WD40 or equivalent? Haven't tried it yet but am considering all options!
            Possibly. I'd remove the battery first.

I'm guessing it's probably fine if you use a hot shoe a lot? In the old days you had a little plastic cover to protect it.
            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
              Possibly. I'd remove the battery first.

I'm guessing it's probably fine if you use a hot shoe a lot? In the old days you had a little plastic cover to protect it.
              You can still buy those on ebay some even incorporate a spirit level
              1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
              Facebook
              www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by paulr5604 View Post
                [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by paulr5604 View Post

A hotshoe protector is also available from the EOS magazine shop (an excellent source of EOS accessories!). see:
                  Robert
                  robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Working...
                  X