X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550D vs 60D

Is it worth going from a 550D to a 60D?

Benefits? Worthy upgrade?

I was toying with getting a 5D classic instead! Confused at mo! Need guidance. Ta
    Last edited by Koolpc; 17-08-2013, 06:41.

Re: 550D vs 60D

What sort of stuff do you like to shoot? Also would the budget reach to a 70D once the price started to fall?

Comment

You won't see any difference in IQ, it's really all down to access to the settings. 60D has a more ergonomic body and quick access buttons than the 550D. I had the 600D, which kind of sits in the middle of the two. I wanted a 60D originally and went with a 7D as its worlds apart.

600D was too small for my hands too so sometimes that can be a factor. If that is for you then I understand your reasons.

The price of a 60D is attractive, but if I was faced with your decision based on what I've learned, then no I'd get a 70D. 550D is still a good camera. A guy called Anatole Klapouch gets amazing results from his 500D and 18-55mm kit lens.

He sometimes makes me wonder why I have bothered buying into the upgrade model at all. He puts it down to his post processing skills but I think he's just very good with light and scenes.

Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

My wife has the option of getting either a 550D or a 600D at a small price difference of £50 more for the 600D. She like the flip out screen but which would you guys say is the better one as I know the spec is almost similar. She has used mine and like how it handles but she wants a new camera as she knows I am part x mine.

I was even toying with getting a 50D myself instead of looking at a 60D as I can part x with MPB.

Comment

The 650D is a great little camera, very light-weight.
          The 700D is just a small update on the 650D. Both work well with the standard lenses 18-55mm and 55-250mm.

550D or 60D?
          The 60D is a better built camera with more functions.
          The 60D weighs 755g compared to the 550D at only 530g.
          The 60D is water and dust resistant, the xxxD range are not.

Maybe wait for a price-drop on the 70D or go for a 7D.

Side-by-side comparisons HERE
          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Koolpc View Post
            My wife has the option of getting either a 550D or a 600D at a small price difference of £50 more for the 600D. She like the flip out screen but which would you guys say is the better one as I know the spec is almost similar. She has used mine and like how it handles but she wants a new camera as she knows I am part x mine.

I was even toying with getting a 50D myself instead of looking at a 60D as I can part x with MPB.
            I don't think your going to do very wrong with either of the xxD models. Live AF speed in the 70D being blisteringly fast now makes the use of the flip out screen more suited to the 70D. Slow AF in the other variants makes its less of a help.

If size is not an issue for you then as Stephen pointed out, a 650D is probably the best xxxD body to date, with the 700D being purely a new name badge on a 650D. I would even go as far as to say its likely to yield a better quality of image to a 60D because of the newer sensor.

I don't tend to keep up with bodies anymore because when I got my 7D, I really didn't need to. However, if you are trading up and using bodies to get into the more amateur range rather than that horrible 'consumer' branding they put on the xxxD/rebel range then as long as you feel you need it, then it can't do any harm.

60D is still a fantastic camera though for what its worth.
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

What about a 50D? I do like how it feels in the hand.

Comment

I upgraded from the 50D to a 7D about a month ago. I have had eally good success with the 50D and loved it. Yes it does have it's negatives, but then so does everything, noise at high ISO can be noticeable but I had no problems with that. Like all things you live with it's limitations, but to be honest I did not find that many. If you do not want video and a flip out screen then why not. I personally loved my 50D. So why move to a 7D? Well I like to shoot fast action. eg Polo and the 50D's AF is just not as good as the 7D for this. There is a price difference of course and this is why the 7D was always more expensive than the 50D.
                David

Comment

I have read about the 7D having issues with noise but that could be down to user error?

Comment

Originally posted by Koolpc View Post
                    I have read about the 7D having issues with noise but that could be down to user error?
                    users often complain about noise in the 7D but I have no idea what they are talking about. I've shot quite regularly at ISO6400 and then processed in DPP with great results. Ruthlessly under exposed images produce more noise than any 7D :)

It's all about how comfortable you feel with what you want. I'm now all about the glass I put in the front of the camera rather than the body now. It's so important.
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                      users often complain about noise in the 7D but I have no idea what they are talking about. I've shot quite regularly at ISO6400 and then processed in DPP with great results. Ruthlessly under exposed images produce more noise than any 7D :)

It's all about how comfortable you feel with what you want. I'm now all about the glass I put in the front of the camera rather than the body now. It's so important.
                      Spot on Paul - you are so right. Its not what you have .....but how you use it (IMO). If I had to go back in time I would get a 40D...and yes the glass helps alot

Comment

Just thinking outside the box (sorry I work with people who management speak 24x7 ) ... is there a particular reason you feel the need to change camera body? I don't know what lenses you have ... but better lenses tend to yield much more noticeable better results than moving up a model (from xxxD to xxD) or to it's successor. My 40D which is 6 years old still yields good results with good glass.

But as for cameras ... its already been said ... the xxxD lineage are lighter, (slightly smaller?), less environmentally protected, less configurable (so simpler ) than their xxD counterpart. So its what you need the camera to do (feature-wise).

Comment

I used to hate it when asking about bodies. I knew people would end up turning it into a discussion about better, glass, better glass, better glass rules, and It's only now that I realise how important this is.

I love my 7D but If it meant I could afford a 24-70L I'd go buy a 5D classic for £240 off ebay. No idea what clicked but it's a reality.

That's why I asked about ergonomics because this is a different excuse to change bodies as it can effect you physically carrying about small bodies with big hands like me lol
                          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                            That's why I asked about ergonomics because this is a different excuse to change bodies as it can effect you physically carrying about small bodies with big hands like me lol
                            And that's were a battery grip can make sense or not. Again depends what you are going to do with the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                              And that's were a battery grip can make sense or not. Again depends what you are going to do with the camera.
                              I seem to remember you giving this vital piece of advice before and I didn't really think I'd use it. However, already thinking I'm going to need one for my camera lol
                              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
                              X