Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30D Hates my CF cards.

Dear All,

I have a 30D which I use with Sandisk Extreme III 4GB CF cards. Completely out of the blue it will freeze displaying the "ERR CF". Taking the card out turning the camera off, removing batteries etc usually sorts the problem, untiL iput a card back in. Either the same or different one. Same "err CF" comes up. Not sure whats going on. Wrote to a friend who reviews cameras, who replied saying this was a known fault on the 30D and was where the pins attach to the circuit board. I could get it repaired for £150! my first thoguht was thats a third to half of another camera body.

So I guess my question is are, has anyone else herd or experienced this fault?

Also what experience has anyone had of the Canon repair service? I remember reading aobut it in a back issue of Eos Magazine.
    Many thanks
    Regards
    Chris

Chris Frear
    Rural Photographer.
    Dumfriesshire, Scotland
    Main Website: http://www.frearphoto.co.uk/
    Flickr Overflow website

Re: 30D Hates my CF cards.

I have known this happen occasionally on a 20D, but not the 30D.

Does this happen always? Occasionally?

Do you always format the cards in-camera?

Struggling to think of an answer, hence the questions.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Hi Colin,

Seems to happen in patches, then not for a few weeks, then another patch.

Found out themiddle of last year that the 30D seems to accept the cards more readily when formated in camera. Before that I used to use the PC too.

I do on occasion use hte cards in aminolta (not Canon) 5D, swopping back and forth.

Chris

Comment

I was given some sound advice, that if you always format the media cards in the device, it will always be happier. Similarly, if you need cards for more than one device, segregate them and keep them dedicated to each device, rather than mix and match. That came a bit expensive when the cost of CF cards was high, but now that they are comparatively cheap, it's a bit easier on the pocket to be disciplined with CF cards.

Give it a try and see if there is any improvement.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Hi Chris
          I am new to this, or any other forum. I read with interest about your 30d and err99 seems to be a bit of a default error message by canon which can mean a great many things. It seems like you have contact issues with the camera and the CF board, which could be the pins or the board contact with the camera. I have just had a mirror problem with my Mk1 5d and canon fixed it, put a new low pass filter on and added a lost eye cup. Even though it was well out of warranty, all repairs were free and I deliberately used Canons own service centre in Elstree.
          I have a 30d too and hope it does not suffer the same problems, although it has only ever taken a couple of hundred shots.
          Take care Richard

Comment

I would format the card with the sandisk utility software that came with your CF card.
            Then format it in the 30D, and not transfer the card between cameras.

Good luck,
            Millie

Comment

To Follow on from Millie ... this is what SanDisk say (for Windows users):

WARNING: Backup all your data before formatting.

Formatting your memory card, flash drive or device:
              1. Double-click My Computer, or Computer (for Vista)
              2. Right-click the drive letter associated with your memory card, flash drive or device, then select Format [WARNING: Make sure you select the correct drive letter.]
              3. Select a File system type. NOTE: Select FAT32 for 4GB or higher capacities. FAT for 2GB or lower capacities
              4. Click Start.

Memory card info and old cameras
              Many previous old cameras and portable devices do not work if the card is formatted as FAT32 or NTFS file system. One of the following errors may occur if your device does not support FAT32 or NTFS:
              - Error message asking to re-format the flash card.
              - Error message that the flash card is not formatted.
              - Error message indicating that the card is anomalous.

To resolve the above error, backup your data and reformat your memory card in FAT file system.
              If the error persists, re-format the memory card using your camera or portable device.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                To Follow on from Millie ... this is what SanDisk say (for Windows users):

WARNING: Backup all your data before formatting.

Formatting your memory card, flash drive or device:
                1. Double-click My Computer, or Computer (for Vista)
                2. Right-click the drive letter associated with your memory card, flash drive or device, then select Format [WARNING: Make sure you select the correct drive letter.]
                3. Select a File system type. NOTE: Select FAT32 for 4GB or higher capacities. FAT for 2GB or lower capacities
                4. Click Start.

Memory card info and old cameras
                Many previous old cameras and portable devices do not work if the card is formatted as FAT32 or NTFS file system. One of the following errors may occur if your device does not support FAT32 or NTFS:
                - Error message asking to re-format the flash card.
                - Error message that the flash card is not formatted.
                - Error message indicating that the card is anomalous.

To resolve the above error, backup your data and reformat your memory card in FAT file system.
                If the error persists, re-format the memory card using your camera or portable device.
                That's not what Sandisk told me I got told to put in the sandisk mini cd and use the option on the utlity menu.

EDIT couldn't remember the name of the software (rescue pro), use the wipe option.
                Millie
                Last edited by Millie; 27-01-2010, 13:03. Reason: adding text

Comment

Left hand and right hand eh Millie (the above was from SanDisk's website). Is this the ImagePRO CD ... I best check ...

Comment

Is this the ImagePRO CD
                    LOL.... I must of edited while you were posting.

Comment

Ah Yes RescuePro ... I was mixing it's name with ImageRescue (which comes with Lexar cards). thanks Millie.

Comment

The reason this touches a raw nerve for me is that I has a similar problem with a 4Gb SanDisk extreme 111 on my 40D.
                        I phoned SanDisk to give them a ‘mouthful of feedback’. Got to speak to a manager in Holland.
                        He told me the wipe option is a deep format + disk diagnostic program
                        He said a faulty disk would not complete this process.
                        Clutching at straws before you look at sending it away repair, does your 30D have the latest firmware?
                        Millie

Comment

I have checked with my "Tecky" sources and it is definitely a NO NO to use CF cards in other cameras. Canon's latest cameras have a standard format and a low level format. If you know anyone with one of these cameras, ask them to format your cards in Low Level and then re-format them in your Canon. After that, only use them in your Canon, use other cards in your Minolta.

To those members that have the "Low Level" format option, it is good practice to use this facility when you first use existing cards in your new camera and also any time you buy a new card.

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

Working...
                          X