Mirror lock up / live view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirror lock up / live view

is the mirror lock up function , which is awkward to implement , redundant on the cameras with live view ?

I cant see any advantage of using MLU over LV with its one button function and silent shooting mode.

Re: Mirror lock up / live view

Hi Ozzie, there are two parts to your question/comment.

Is it redundant on cameras with liveview ?
    I don’t know how to use liveview so it’s not redundant for me yet.

On the awkward implementation, you could enable MLU and register it to one of the presets if you want.

Millie

Comment

Hello Ozzie;

My understanding (and I'm quite happy to admit that I may well be wrong here...) is that when you commit to pressing the shoot button in LiveView mode, the mirror flips back down to start the shoot process, then up, then the shoot happens... So, using Liveview does nothing to prevent camera-shake, which is the prime benefit of using MLU!

I have MLU assigned on the 'my menu' option so it's easily accessible without needing to wade through the custom-functions to get to it.

Even if my understanding of the technical shoot process is wrong (using LiveView), the MLU function can't be redundant, unless LiveView were the ONLY view option available! Personally I use it (LiveView) only at night (or rarely in the daytime if I'm shooting in an awkward position) and even then for framing only! Once I'm framed up, I revert to 'norm'...
      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

I experimented with liveview (LV) some time ago; I can’t remember much of what I found out. I know many people are enthusiastic about LV for various applications, and have produced excellent images using it.

So, using Liveview does nothing to prevent camera-shake, which is the prime benefit of using MLU!
        I’d go along with that.

I’d use MLU with a tripod/well supported, and shutter release cable.

The thing about LV for me is that it involves touching the camera, so I’m thinking you’d have to wait for those vibrations to settle, before taking the picture ?

An interesting thing about LV is you can see camera shake, try it with a long lens, use the 10x zoom and you’ll be able to see the impact of the slightest touch of your camera and/or lens.

Millie

Comment

in googling for how ' live view actually works ' I found a similar question asked on photo.net recently.

I think I understand whats happening now.

for macro I always use a tripod remote control, MLU and manual focus, now I'll have a go with using live view in silent mode.

Always used a 10D but recently acquired a 40D , might as well experiment with the new features !

Comment

Always used a 10D but recently acquired a 40D , might as well experiment with the new features !
            Definitely worth experimenting IMHO
            With macro (still life), studio, and landscape photography I can see were LV would be very useful.

The ability to see the effect of filters and help with thier adjustment in landscape photography is just one ‘killer applications’ I’d like to try.

If Anyone's been using LV for a while and has it sussed, it would be great if they could share their experiences and give us some tips and guidance.

Millie

Comment

I find LV and MLU invaluable when shooting macro on a tripod. With LV engaged at 10x magnification, I wait until all the camera stops shaking, and then trigger the shutter via a cable reelase.

Comment

Originally posted by pbizarro View Post
                I find LV and MLU invaluable when shooting macro on a tripod. With LV engaged at 10x magnification, I wait until all the camera stops shaking, and then trigger the shutter via a cable reelase.
                So, does the mirror stay locked-up when shooting in LiveView mode?

Or, does it do what I think, which is to flip back-down before starting the shoot sequence, which would undermine the point of the exercise then?

Confused of Blighty!

Thx;
                I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

stays locked-up in Live view mode.
                  Papa.

Comment

which is to flip back-down before starting the shoot sequence, which would undermine the point of the exercise then?
                    Thinking out loud, theoretically you could use it thusly ??

Camera in manual
                    Lens Manual focus
                    Live histogram
                    Exposure simulation.

When the subject is in sharp focus and the exposure looks right.
                    Cancel liveview
                    Initiate MLU
                    Press the remote shutter release

Seems a bit long winded ?
                    Millie

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
                      So, does the mirror stay locked-up when shooting in LiveView mode?

Or, does it do what I think, which is to flip back-down before starting the shoot sequence, which would undermine the point of the exercise then?

Confused of Blighty!

Thx;
                      I'm just getting the hang of this ... in liveview mode the mirror is up continuously but flips down momentarily if you focus with the AF ON button (assuming its enabled in C.Fn 111 -6 ).

Also using ETTL flash the mirror will drop momentarily on pressing the shutter button to allow the camera to get pre flash information.

Comment

Working...
                      X