Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File size 6D vs 60D

Hi,

Since a couple of days I'm the happy owner of a 6D, next to the 60D I already had. Today i've noticed something that puzzles me.
    I was taking photos to see the difference between both camera's. Used a tripod, took photos of the same objects with the same camera settings and lenses.
    For the 6D being a 20mp camera, I was expecting the 6D to create larger files than the 60D. But strange enough, some of the photos taken with the 60D were larger than the same photo taken with the 6D.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Regards,
    Michiel

Re: File size 6D vs 60D

I can't but does it matter? Just take good pictures

Comment

Michiel, to help you get an answer, can you just confirm whether you are talking about raw or jpeg files? If jpeg, I'm guessing that maybe the 6D has a more effective compression algorithm, but I'm sure someone out there will know the answer. If raw, it does seem rather surprising.
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Well, it's both raw and jpeg. It doesn't seem to be a problem, but it does intrigue me. It's opposite of what one would expect. Especially because the format (in pixels) of the photos is larger.
        Last edited by Michiel; 22-09-2013, 15:59. Reason: added information

Comment

Pretty sure it's down to the 6D's pixel size in comparison to the 60D's. The pixels are bigger. While it lets in more light, the size of the overall image is marginal. There's a crazy discussion going on, on another forum about a cropped image coming from a FF cropped by 1.6x and being worse or better than a 1.6x crop body like a 60D. Someone has come up with some crazy equation that meant that the image had more detail in the 60D image than the 1.6x crop of the FF.

I wonder why some people can be bothered with all that, :)
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

There's another dutch forum where a similar discussion is going on. In my opinion a cropped photo from a FF camera is of less quality when enlarged to the same format of photo taken with a crop camera. Especially when both cameras have the same amount megapixels.
            Correct?

Still, your answer about pixels in the 6D intrigues me. Can you elaborate?

Comment

Michiel, my 60D/6D raw's seem to be almost exactly the same size (around 24Mb each), and I've not noticed a difference - then again I've not been testing for, or looking for a difference!

If I remember correctly, a JPEG's size will increase with detail, so turning sharpening up may increase file size. Since the 6D seems inherently sharper than the 60D I turn sharpening to a lower setting on the 6D, and thus I might expect marginally smaller file sizes.

Also, (and again if I remember correctly) I believe that raw's aren't entirely uncompressed. Raw's are smaller than an equivalent (uncompressed) TIFF, so perhaps with the advent of Canon's Digic 5 processor in the 6D the raw algorithm has been tweaked over that in the Digic 4 equipped 60D? Perhaps DrJon might have something to say on the matter?
              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by Michiel View Post
                There's another dutch forum where a similar discussion is going on. In my opinion a cropped photo from a FF camera is of less quality when enlarged to the same format of photo taken with a crop camera. Especially when both cameras have the same amount megapixels.
                Correct?

Still, your answer about pixels in the 6D intrigues me. Can you elaborate?
                Is this really true? I also have both these bodies but have not had chance to do any side by side tests yet. I did wonder whether a long range wildlife shot with my 70-200 @200 would look better if taken on the 60D due to requiring less cropping than if taken on the 6D.
                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

The Digital Picture undertook a comparison of the full-frame models and a 7D and showed images blown-up to the same size at a variety of ISO settings. All the FF models were significantly superior in terms of contrast, saturation, noise, and sharpness to the 7D images, and the differences increased as the ISO increased. I'm not talking subtle differences here, it was camera-phone to DSLR type improvement! I'd therefore be led to believe that the FF images, even when cropped in, offer better IQ than an unzoomed crop sensor particularly when the ISO is wound up beyond ISO400 or so.

Interestingly (and to get back on topic) the same review showed a comparison of raw file sizes between the 60D and the 6D. The 6D's files were larger a low ISO, but smaller at high ISO, and TDP suggested it was to do with noise (or the lack thereof) which meant that the less noisy 6D files were smaller. Sounds as good an explanation as any!
                  Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I've done a little test. First shot is done with a 6D with 24-105mm (focal length 24), second shot is done with the 60D with 24-105mm (again focal length 24mm), third is the original 6D photo but cropped to the same field of view as the shot with the 60D and finally I've resized the cropped 6D photo to (almost) the same pixel size as the orginal 60D photo.

The same camera settings were used for both camera's. Used a tripod to make sure I had nearly identical point of view. I've done only minor lens corrections and contrast editing (same settings for all photos).
                    The photo itself is not very good (bad composition etc) but I was not aiming for a wonderful photo. I just went out behind the house and took a quick set of snapshots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8826241...7635809338956/
                    Last edited by Michiel; 23-09-2013, 18:47.

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post

Interestingly (and to get back on topic) the same review showed a comparison of raw file sizes between the 60D and the 6D. The 6D's files were larger a low ISO, but smaller at high ISO, and TDP suggested it was to do with noise (or the lack thereof) which meant that the less noisy 6D files were smaller. Sounds as good an explanation as any!
                      Thank you for this reply. It makes sense indeed!
                      Last edited by Michiel; 23-09-2013, 18:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Michiel View Post
                        I've done a little test. First shot is done with a 6D with 24-105mm (focal length 24), second shot is done with the 60D with 24-105mm (again focal length 24mm), third is the original 6D photo but cropped to the same field of view as the shot with the 60D and finally I've resized the cropped 6D photo to (almost) the same pixel size as the orginal 60D photo.

The same camera settings were used for both camera's. Used a tripod to make sure I had nearly identical point of view. I've done only minor lens corrections and contrast editing (same settings for all photos).
                        The photo itself is not very good (bad composition etc) but I was not aiming for a wonderful photo. I just went out behind the house and took a quick set of snapshots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8826241...7635809338956/
                        That's really helpful, thank you. But (since my eyes are pretty rubbish) can you offer a verdict regarding the results? I'm most interested in comparing 2&3 but also wonder if it is going to make any difference if comparing a heavily cropped image on a 60D with an even more heavily cropped image on a 6D.

p.s. Nice back garden :)

Comment

Ahhhh ignore me. I was trying to compare them without drilling down to the full screen view in flickr. When I do that I can see the 6D wins hands down.

In fact the more I look at it it's a bit of a wow moment :)
                          Last edited by Riggers; 23-09-2013, 20:27.

Comment

These are crappy photos. They could have benefited from a f8 or so. Sharpness isn't great. But these photos serve a purpose as examples.
                            Just noticed myself that the CA is much better controlled on the 6D as well.

Comment

Actually it wasn't The Digital Picture who did the 7D/6D/5D comparison images, it was these chaps, scroll to the lower half of the review to see the comparison images.

The Digital Picture did show a table of the file sizes across various camera though (scroll down by 25%)

Comment

Working...
                              X