Zoombrowser and saved images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoombrowser and saved images

Today I saved some photos from my 700D for the first time using the supplied software, ImageBrowser EX. Instead of saving all the files in a folder, it saved a copy of each file, but also created a folder with the same name as the file, which contains two versions of the file, one large and the other an icon 160x160. With some 50 or so pictures in the folder, plus a folder for each file, its very difficult to navigate.

Have I got a wrong setting somewhere? Or do I just forget using the Canon software and just use the operating system to download the files.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and the latest version of the ImageBrowser software, updated today from Canon. With my 300D, every download creates a new folder containing all the photos downloaded, with just one set of files, one for each folder, which is what I want.
    I have Adobe CS6, but Bridge uses text that is so small its unreadable.

All suggestions welcome.

Howard Walker

Re: Zoombrowser and saved images

If you want to save the images straight from the camera as they were, then use EOS Utility that comes along with the camera. EOS Utility handles the process of copying new images to their destination folder you specify. It then opens up DPP to edit the images. I've only ever used Zoombrowser once and I felt that EOS/DPP worked better.

Plugging in the camera directly with the supplied USB cable is my preferred method as EOS Utility opens right away and you hit one button to download images.
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Many thanks Paulstw.

Howard Walker

Comment

I never download straight from the camera.I always use a card reader.

To my mind I think it sort of takes any strain off the camera's internal circuitry ... (some one told me this)... are they right ?
        Last edited by wayne2418; 30-09-2013, 22:40.
        [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

My understanding is that downloading from the camera is slower than when the card is downloaded via a card reader. However as I've never downloaded direct from the camera I can't confirm this.
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I always download by connecting the camera. I find it much easier and quicker.
            John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Both methods have their pros and cons. If you use the camera's socket then you stress that. If you take the card out, use a card reader then put it back, you are stressing it's contacts. I used to (and still do for small amounts of photos) use the camera's USB link, but when I built my new PC recently I included a USB3.0 card reader. These are spectacularly fast and just what you need for full 8GB or bigger cards.
              Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

Originally posted by Oggie View Post
                Both methods have their pros and cons. If you use the camera's socket then you stress that. If you take the card out, use a card reader then put it back, you are stressing it's contacts. I used to (and still do for small amounts of photos) use the camera's USB link, but when I built my new PC recently I included a USB3.0 card reader. These are spectacularly fast and just what you need for full 8GB or bigger cards.
                I use the usb port on the camera and the usb socket on the laptop, or my PC now. I recently bought a high speed card from EOS shop to use with the video system on my 700D, and besides it formatting in under two seconds, it downloads fifty or so full size photos to my laptop in a very short time indeed.

Stll got the problem of each photo also hving a matching folder with two files in it. I just delete them, but can anyone using windows system tell me what they are about?
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X