LCD Screen protectors- A gimmick or a worthwhile precaution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD Screen protectors- A gimmick or a worthwhile precaution

I would like members views on LCD screen protectors. I am advised to fit these on to my LCD screen to protect it from damage,dirt etc.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: LCD Screen protectors- A gimmick or a worthwhile precaution

Hi Nathaniel,
    If you intend to sell your old camera when you replace it, people will 'haggle you down' if there are scratches on the lcd.
    That said, I don't try to protect mine.

Millie

Comment

Another way to make money, another 'add on' which is not necessary for the camera's survival. I don't use one on my 350D and the LCD screen is still alive! It's all marketing. Do you use on on your mobile phone, ipod, iphone? I haven't read in my instruction booklet that Canon recommend screen protectors, so I just see this as another gimmick and a way to help us support these companies as they only exist to make a profit!
      A soft cloth is enough to clean the LCD screen, and much cheaper!
      That's my view
      Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Originally posted by eeyore View Post
        Do you use on on your mobile phone, ipod, iphone?
        Aren't these marketing gimics
        Last edited by briansquibb; 05-02-2010, 12:20.
        ef-r

Comment

I did use them on a iPAQ ('cause they came with it) ... and boy did it leave a mess when time comes to peel it off and put another one on. My G10's screen is badly marked ... that's the trouble with taking it walking. The Coolpix 8700 it replaced has an articulated screen so its self protecting. I guess the G11 is like that.

Comment

From Memeory, Canon supply a replacement LCD screen kit for around £10 + Vat and the kit includes the screen, adhesive and a rubber sucker to remove the old screen. With decent screen protectors between £15 - £30, they would appear to be solutions to problems that we don't actually have!

In a similar vein, I was shooting with another Tog last week and he had "Body Armour" on his 1D. It looked like Rambo's rubber camera, very strange. I am not into rubber; now if it was leather ................

Colin
            Colin

Comment

I note that Canon's equipment sale catalogue (comes with the EOS magazine) has got several types of screen protectors, with a bias toward the glass ones. On Ebay these same ones are around £5 brand new as opposed to Canon catalogue price of between £19-£25. I just wondered whether this was on the lines of the Sky/UV filters which you fit to your lenses not only to cut down haze etc but also to protect the front element of the lens. I always have these in place with my lenses. Does the LCD screen require such protection?
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I just wondered whether this was on the lines of the Sky/UV filters which you fit to your lenses not only to cut down haze etc but also to protect the front element of the lens. I always have these in place with my lenses.
                OH NO !
                Looks like Nathaniel's, gonna start another 'timeless classic', the filter V no filter dabate.

Millie

Comment

LOL .......I’m going to get my oar in first !

If you use filters great, and if you don’t, that’s great too !

Be happy,
                  Millie

Comment

So a lens protector, LCD protector, Camera Armour and stored in a Think Tank case and stored in one of those metal cases in the back of the car. Mind you you'd have to don a bunny suit (like CSI people) as well ;-)

Protected ... job done ... ah but what about the EMP ;-)

Comment

Not "protection" mad but being new to digital photography (No such LCD protectors with film/slide cameras), I thought I'd better clear this, before I perhaps do something foolish & regret it later, with an unexpected repair bill.If you don't know" ask" is my motto. I am sure many members will agree that this is a sensible question?

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                        OH NO !
                        Looks like Nathaniel's, gonna start another 'timeless classic', the filter V no filter dabate.

Millie
                        Well Millie, you are on to a loser here as I have been using filters for a very very long time. However, knowledge of LCD's and LCD protectors only in the last 4-5 months!!!!!!!!!!! A big difference eh?

Comment

I would like to suggest that my detractors should look at "Accessories" and the problems faced by one member regarding the "snug it protector"! Don't you think that member would have been better off if a question had been posed FIRST re the use/usefulness of the" snug it protector" before going and buying it and then involve admin people like Andrew Gibson to come in and "advice"!!

Comment

Sorry Nathaniel, I think you’re looking for a definitive answer to a question were people are equally entitled to hold one view or another.

Questions like, PP V no PP, PC V MAC, protection filters V no protection filters, invariably end up with people agreeing to disagree. People are welcome to ask these questions, whether they get a straight answer is another thing.

I digress.

LCD Screen protectors- A gimmick or a worthwhile precaution ?
                            Depends on your POV

Millie

Comment

Millie,

No offence taken and no apologies required. I merely looked for some advice/guidance as I am told that the LCD screen was "fragile", could be damged,scratched etc etc. Being rather new to the digital era I am just getting my knowledge spruced up via the experienced members within the forum. So if I re-phrase my initial thread and ask "how fragile is the LCD screen and what is the damage that could be done to it"?

I might like to add that I have learnt a great deal within the last one month via my (perhaps) dumb cluck questions and threads, so much so I am getting to know where I am "going now"!!! with digital photography. I am actually very enthusiastic about it and kicking myself as to why I didn't join the digital era before!!

So do keep your comments coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X