High ISO results with 6D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High ISO results with 6D

I attended a friends wedding this weekend so the evening do gave me a chance to give my new 6D a really good workout in low light to test it's high ISO performance. I have to say I was really pleasantly surprised with the results so thought I would share them here.

My approach with these shots previously was to always to shoot in AV mode, open the aperture wide open and select the highest ISO I think I can get away with (pushing the IS on the lens and my hand-holding abilities to the max). I usually found myself using an ISO of between 2000 & 3200 and this gave mixed results.

This weekend the official photographer for the wedding suggested a different approach and it worked a treat. I switched to manual, set the aperture to 2.8, the shutter to 1/100 (@85mm) and then let the ISO do it's own thing in Auto mode, which is something I've not tried before. This gave much better results even when I saw the ISO pop right up to 12,800. With a little bit of sharpening in Lightroom afterwards I was really pleased.

Needless to say the official photographer struggled to get anywhere near these results with his 500D and Tamron 28-300. He's now put the 6D on his Christmas list :)

Here's some examples (all 12,800 ISO).

Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Re: High ISO results with 6D

And here's a few more traditional shots I managed to grab (my first ever wedding shots with a DSLR). The couple were not looking towards me in most of them as I was obviously not the official photographer so tried to stand away at the side so not to distract / disturb them :)

Last edited by Riggers; 08-10-2013, 10:30.

Comment

And a few more...

Full set here. Comment greatly appreciated.

Comment

I like them :) I'll need to get myself a 6D. Pushing the 7D to ISO3200 on Saturday wasn't a plan I wanted to even put to the A-team lol. You should take this up seriously.
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Some great shots, I especially like the first one of the bride and groom you posted and the boy pointing up.
          The high ISO ones are good too, my 70D gives good results at high ISO but the 6D is a step up again. My friends 6D gives superb low light results.

Well done, hope you are pleased with the results.
          Andy

Comment

Great shots Lee, good to see what the 6D is capable of The interior lighting is a little quirky though I might have been tempted to use a bit if fill-flash to tone down the peculiar lighting!

It's also nice to see someone using auto-ISO mode, setting manual at your hand-holding (or movement-freezing) speed with a wide(ish) aperture and letting the ISO take care of exposure is a technique which I don't think gets enough positive press. With a camera like the 6D with its fabulous low-light performance, this technique works a treat
            Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks guys.

Yes I'm really pleased with the results for my first effort. I've been doing too much reading of advice and tutorials and not enough shooting lately so it was nice to get out and take some pics at last.

Agree about the light S_J_P but remember by this time around 15 pints of Carling had been sunk so it was a case of lets just see what happens and anything is a bonus lol.

Comment

Lee, I've just had a browse through your wedding album, some of those images are absolutely stunning. I adore the shots in the bandstand and on the jetty, and the shingle-spit reflection is sublime. Your b&w conversions aren't bad either! I applaud you, I've seen professionals results which aren't a patch on some of yours I hope the B&G like them too.
                Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Nicely done Lee.

Tom

Comment

Some absolutely stunning shots.
                    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Of course most of the shots (especially B&G) were helped because of the composition which is thanks to the official photographer (and best man) Jon so I can't take any credit for that. But the quality of my shots and the feedback here does give me a bit of confidence for the future. I just think weddings are a very scary thought and I applaud anyone with the balls to take it on.

Thanks again for the nice feedback everyone.

Comment

Agree with the others. Nice pics and well done.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

There are times when using flash makes - can be used to get light to the subject or take it light from the background
                          ef-r

Comment

Good stuff!

Comment

Great pics Lee ... well done sir.
                              [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Working...
                              X