Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Notice: str_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/string.php on line 3 Shutter Actuation Count - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shutter Actuation Count

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutter Actuation Count

Is there an easy way (other than sending the camera to Canon), of extracting the number of shutter actuation from an EOS 7D.

If, as I am considering, upgrading to a 5D MkIII, and maybe selling (or part exing) my 7D (albeit I may just keep it), it would be nice to able to tell a potential buyer, just how many shutter actions have been performed.

I suspect its something less than 200 to 300, as the camera is only 16 months old, and not heavily used.

The rated maximum is, I think, something like 150,000.

Dave
    Dave

Re: Shutter Actuation Count

Give this a try Dave

Paul

*edit* just tried this myself and it wanted to charge me £1.79 for the count. Bums
    Last edited by Paulstw; 11-10-2013, 12:44.
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Dave
      I have used this LINK on a 50D and it worked, it may be worth a try
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks guys, will look at both

£1.79 isn't going to 'break the bank', but I'll try Peter's option first.

Dave
        Dave

Comment

Tried that second option on my 7D and it didn't work. Sigh. No wonder the other guy started charging.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
            Thanks guys, will look at both

£1.79 isn't going to 'break the bank', but I'll try Peter's option first.

Dave
            Sorry Dave looks like you may have to splash the cash

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
            Tried that second option on my 7D and it didn't work. Sigh. No wonder the other guy started charging.
            Thanks for trying it out Paul , I wont bother trying it on my 5D111 then
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

When I read this stuff about maximum shutter counts it came as a bit of a shock to me that these cameras wear out so quickly. I always thought being digital meant it costs you nothing to take as many test shots as you like but clearly thats not the case.

I heard someone say around 10K is about as much as you should take which was a very big shock since I took over 1K on my first serious outing with it at a birthday party! Same last weekend at a wedding where I took around 1K shots. Does this mean my EOS is only going to last around 10 outings?
              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Hi Riggers,

I think these counts are the minimum you can expect to take. Yours will (hopefully) last much longer.

I have to say 1000 photos for a 1 day wedding is pretty good going!

Comment

I try and grab a lot of candid shots, which often means holding the shutter down to get the moment - meaning I could easily take 10 shots for 1. The same goes for formal shots where I want to be sure they are smiling or laughing and all have eyes open etc but maybe I might only take 4 or 5 of those. So I find the shutter count really mounts up and I can easily do 1000 in a day.
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Riggers the published shutter life for the 6D and 60D is 100,000 activations, not 10k

Comment

I have no idea if this works or is safe, but:
                      Some of you, may need some buck just to pay CSC to read your Canon EOS shutter count. While there's a way of getting the shutter count of se...

This suggests it's in the ball-park:

Comment

By coincidence, I picked up a copy of Practical Photography this afternoon, and in the 'Reader Q&A' section, a reader asked what would be the expected lifespan of DSLR shutter.

The answer was that for most 'entry level' and 'enthusiast level' DSLRs, the shutter should be good for at least 100,000 'shots'.

For 'pro level' cameras like the 5D MkIII and above, this would rise to 150,000 'shots'.

It goes on to say that Wildlife shoots and Weddings can easily 'clock up' 3000 'shots' in a weekend.

Dave
                        Dave

Comment

When I wanted to find the actuations of my camera I was pointed to the site below its free and works, its a tiny program and after downloading you just plug you Canon DSLR into your computer/laptop and its instantly there, no need to open anything works on all EOS camera except I think the 5D

Comment

Apologies that should read EOS 5DMK II not just 5D, it doesnt list the 7D on the site however I'm sure it reads any Canon DSLR that allows it to be read, its worth a look as it cost nothing and hey if it doesnt work you've lost nothing but I'd be surprised if it doesn't work

Gordon

Comment

Thanks Gordon, I'll give that a try too.

Dave
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X