Thoughts on second hand 1DsMk3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on second hand 1DsMk3?

I currently have a 550d and was looking to upgrade to a full frame camera. I'd love a 5dmk3, but realistically I'd be looking at a 6d or 5dmk2. I also only have kit lenses and a 50mm 1.8 so I was going to start investing in better lenses first. But...

A friend of mine has just bought a 1Dx on a whim and he is looking to sell his workhorse 1Dsmk3. It'll be dirt cheap 'mates rates' but he hasn't given me an exact price yet.

Should I consider it or not? If so what sort of price should I expect to pay?

Any and all thoughts are welcome.
    Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Re: Thoughts on second hand 1DsMk3?

It might be too much of a change for you and, if your kit lenses are EF-S, they will not fit any full-frame body. I have a 6D and I would recommend that to you first (others may disagree )
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Well, my mate hasn't come back to me with an exact price so I'm in limbo with this one. I've done a bit more research and as you say, Bawbee, it will be a big step up. That's partly what I want to do, though. Ultimately I'd like to sell off the kit lenses and use the L Series ones on the 550 and whatever full-frame I get.

The 6D does look very tempting with the new sensor, GPS, Movie mode, etc, but the 1Ds has the weather sealing, focus system, and bigger viewfinder. I guess it all comes down to the price at the end of the day.

Any other opinions?
      Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

I use a 1Ds MKIII as my main camera, and can't fault it, it's built like a brick outhouse, and just keep's going.

It's capable of producing superb images, up there with the best (IMO), the only downside for me, is it's not capable enough at some the high ISO images more modern cameras (eg 5D MKIII/1DX) are able to produce.

Not sure of price, I paid £2300(s/h) for mine a few years ago, but would expect it to be considerably less than that now.

They are a great lump of a machine, but sit comfortably in the hand, battery lasts forever, and the shutter life is 300k (compared to 200K for most)

Here is an image from this morning's post, giving an example of what the 1DS MKIII is capable of:-

Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

The 1DS3 is a great camera.

Biggest limitation is the max (sensible) ISO of 1600. It fires nicely at 5fps and with 21mp still up with the 6D

Brian
          ef-r

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys.

That's a lovely crisp image Les. The colours and bokeh are beautiful too.

I had noticed that the ISO was very low on the 1Ds3 compared to more modern cameras and that is one of the limitations i've bumped up against on my 550D. Decisions, decisions...

Comment

Still a superb camera. Really needs good glass. Very robust. About £1500 upwards. Pro focus system better than 6D. Very heavy.
              Last edited by Jonathan; 15-11-2013, 13:40. Reason: More to add

Comment

Working...
              X