• Time
  • Show
Clear All

5d mk1 V ?d

your thoughts on this one please!

I need a new camera (yes need)

Current kit
    1d mk2 with 17-40mm L

it works but is getting on a bit, I have been thinking of going for a 5D mk1 as thats my kind of budget (£350 - £400) but thats still old tech. looking on line I can get a brand new pro-sumer body.

I do a lost of estate agent photography weddings and some portraits, new body has to work to my 17-40

any one got any input

thanks
    Steve

Re: 5d mk1 V ?d

1D mark IV, 5D mark II or III, 6D.
    The 1D mark II is an APS-H as is the 1D mark IV (like for like), 5D mark II or III, 6D are full-frame cameras.
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

These are just to give you some ideas, you need to work out what lenses you need.

If you get a Canon crop sensor I'll assume the 17-40 lens probably won't be wide angle enough for Estate Agency work (although you currently have a 1.3x crop) plus adding the money for selling the 1DmkII doesn't get you anywhere great on used FF cameras. I suspect the answer is one of:

(1) Sell the current body (say 400) and adding that to the pot get something like:
      - a 700D and a Tokina 12-24mm or Canon 10-22
      I can't make anything work with a FF camera other than a really old one.

(2) Sell the existing kit (say 800) and get something like:
      (i) Canon 700D in a kit with a 18-55mm IS STM + Canon 10-22 and a flash if you don't have one (Metz AF-52 is probably best bang for the bucks you have left)
      (ii) Get a D5100, a Tokina 12-24mm, a Nikon 18-105mm, a Nikon 35 f1.8, an SB-700 or SB-900 flash, that's probably about the budget blown
      As you'd be selling an L lens for a bit less good glass neither of these grabs me as a concept.

Comment

I still use my 5D1 as a walkabout.

It is lightweight and produces good quality pictures

Downside is the max 1600

A very good choice if you are on a tight budget.

Personally I would avoid a 1.6 or other brand because the total cost would cost significantly more.
        ef-r

Comment

Working...
        X