Canon EOS 70D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon EOS 70D

Couldn't see any threads on the new camera. I have just bought one, so I'll post some impressions soon.
    www.garywhite-photography.com
    Gary White, MPhil
    Travel Photographer

Re: Canon EOS 70D

Hi Gary, looking forward to seeing the results. :thumbup:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Originally posted by AndyA View Post
      Hi Gary, looking forward to seeing the results.
      Yeh me too Gary, I'm still swithering about my upgrade, 70d, 7d or wait for a 7d Mark II.......

Chris
      EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_R View Post
        Yeh me too Gary, I'm still swithering about my upgrade, 70d, 7d or wait for a 7d Mark II.......

Chris
        If you have the money and inclination, then I think the 70D's the way to go, it looks like a cracking camera! Waiting for the next upgrade is a never ending task, jump when you're ready.
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
          If you have the money and inclination, then I think the 70D's the way to go, it looks like a cracking camera! Waiting for the next upgrade is a never ending task, jump when you're ready.
          Yeh I reckon you're right Steve, I'll maybe wait a month or two to see some other peoples views etc.

Cheers

Chris
          EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Hi, for some comments and feedback check out this thread in the EOS reviews section...

I've had mine a couple of months now and been very pleased with it. Copes well in a wide range of brightnesses and has some nice features.
            all the pictures I've posted on here so far are with my 70d.
            Hope you enjoy getting used to yours.
            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              Hi, for some comments and feedback check out this thread in the EOS reviews section...

I've had mine a couple of months now and been very pleased with it. Copes well in a wide range of brightnesses and has some nice features.
              all the pictures I've posted on here so far are with my 70d.
              Hope you enjoy getting used to yours.
              I bought the 70D predominantly as a 'cycling and walking camera'. I sold my 600D which was a nice camera but had some limitations that I found annoying - a bit plasticky and the ISO could only be changed in full stop increments for example. The 70D was bought for its exposure and metering versatility, the articulated screen which can fold back to protect the surface (e.g. when pushed into a rucksack), wireless flash bult in, and viewfinder grid. Many of the features I love on the 7D but just a bit lighter and compacter. There are always rumours about what is coming but I have had the 7D for nearly 4 years and am still very happy with it - pretty amazing in the digital era.
              Watch this space for my post on the 70D.....
              Gary White, MPhil
              Travel Photographer

Comment

I have a 70D and am pleased with it so far. With the 25-105L it makes a very good general performance camera - with the 70-300f5.6 it is excellent
                Last edited by briansquibb; 21-10-2013, 21:27.
                ef-r

Comment

I have been getting my 70D kit up and running and hope to do a full review within the next 7 days. I bought a Canon 55-250m EF-S II cheapie as a long-reach travel lens (just £109 - I know the mark 3 is coming out) and a third-party, non-Canon 70D grip which is amazing quality at less than a quarter of the Canon price. I have been using my favourite 15-85 EF-S and also the 17-55 f2.8 EF-S and EF-S 60mm macro. I have been initially very impressed with the 70D and it is a genuine step forward rather than a facelift / marketing re-hash of an earlier model. Handling is tight and quick, focussing and viewfinder not only 7D-like but an improvement. With the 600EX-RT speedlite, exposures have been excellent, though I havent tried the pop-up flash yet except for some outdoor fill-flash. Finally, I know there are comments about (it being) a polycarbonate body rather than MgAl but build quality to me seems excellent. More to follow..... Gary
                  Gary White, MPhil
                  Travel Photographer

Comment

I bought my 70D at the beginning of December. It was the first Canon I had owned since an EOS-1 SLR (non digital) and it's my first DSLR.

I had been borrowing my daughter's 100D and even shot an album cover for a band on it (outdoors). But I found the 100D a bit too small. The overall size of the 70D feels just right for me.

My criticisms so far are that the top plate buttons are a bit small and tricky to use without actually looking at them. also the DoF button is out of easy reach and is also too small. The control wheels are small but I'm quickly getting used to that.

I love the articulated touch screen which is great for quick setting changes. I have just setup the AF-ON button to action Autofocus with my thumb and I tend to leave the AF in AF-SERVO when I shoot wildlife.

I bought not one but two lenses before I bought only the 70D body - A 70-200mm f4L IS and a 100mm f2.8L IS Macro (tricky DoF). And then a Canon 1.4x Extender for the 70-200 which gives me 98-280mm reach when I want it. I bought each lens separately and secondhand except that the 70-200 had never been used (insurance replacement). I'm looking at a Canon 400mm f5.6L tomorrow, very lightly used.

I have time to shoot everyday and so I am becoming more familiar. I love its feel and balance.

I doubt very much indeed if I will ever use its video options and WiFi will only be useful if I want to fire it remotely.

My very first ever shot 0001 on it!....

Possibly my best wildlife shot on it so far....

Can anyone confirm if a f5.6L lens (the 400mm) on the 70D can still autofocus with a Canon 1.4x popped on it, please?
                    "The camera takes the photo, but the photographer makes it" - Ansell Adams, 1902-1984

Comment

Can anyone confirm if a f5.6L lens (the 400mm) on the 70D can still autofocus with a Canon 1.4x popped on it, please?
                      Unfortunately not. A combined maximum aperture of f5.6 is the maximum the 70D will deal with. One of the rather rare 400mm f4 DO's would work ok, but not too many of those around.
                      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                        Unfortunately not. A combined maximum aperture of f5.6 is the maximum the 70D will deal with. One of the rather rare 400mm f4 DO's would work ok, but not too many of those around.
                        ....Thanks, Colin.

Methinks that the DO version is too expensive for me.

If I get the 400mm f5.6L, I already have the Canon 1.4x and can pop it on and try using Manual focus just to see what results I get (or don't get!). Quite honestly it's not a deal-breaker and the 400mm f5.6L has an excellent reputation as is.
                        "The camera takes the photo, but the photographer makes it" - Ansell Adams, 1902-1984

Comment

I find after using a film camera I grab for manual focus a lot more now. However, the viewfinder is quite dark even at 5.6. Only real benefit to a 1.4x TC on a 5.6 prime would be if you pre focussed on a particular point, a perch for a bird or a bait for an animal while you were sat in a hide with a tripod. Also I think manually focussing the 400 5.6 tends to throw your stance and balance out as you're taking the weight with your right arm unless you develop a good resting of the left hand and maintain use of your fingers to focus of course :)
                          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                          www.campsie.photography

Comment

unfortunately the only way round it is to go nikon ,i had the nikon 300mm f4 and that worked with there 1.7 tc and gave superb results ,i also tried on a d300s body the 300mm lens and a 2x mkiii tc and got good a/f and sharp shots .,makes me wonder sometimes

Comment

So I am now a proud owner of a Canon 400mm f5.6L to fit on my 70D.

My first task with it is to master it so I can reliably achieve sharp photos. Sure it would be a bonus if I could sometime in the future pop on my 1.4x Extender but I have low expectations regarding that combination.

So far I keep the tripod mounts attached to both my 'white' L lenses and find that resting the foot in the palm of my hand still allows my fingers free to work the lens controls.

The 70D body balances well on the 400mm f5.6L and surprisingly doesn't feel any heavier than my 70-200mm f4L IS with the 1.4x also fitted, but it is heavier by 165 g - Not significant.

Comment

Working...
                              X