Firmware problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firmware problem

I have an EOS 5D Mk 3 (purchased July 2013) and have just tried to install the firmware update 1.2.3. I followed the update procedures to the letter, even though I have done this many times before I printed the procedure off to make sure I did it properly. I inserted the CF card with the update file on it into the camera, at the relevant screen I pushed the button to start the update and the camera has gone dead. Nothing on either screen, no lights or anything. Both batteries are fully charged.

I removed the battery grip and replaced it, still nothing, removed the date/time battery and again nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone had the same issue?

I phoned Canons helpline and they said without power there was nothing they could do other than for me to send it for repair. I really feel that the camera should be replaced rather than repaired, its and expensive piece ok kit and is less than 4 months old. For what is supposed to be a semi pro camera I doing think their attitude is acceptable. I'm really disappointed in their response, I have used Canon cameras since my first A1 and must have spent thousands with them over the years and all they keep talking about is their procedures.
    EOS 5D Mk lll + grip; 580 EX flash; 24-105 IS L; 70-200 f4 L; 300 L f4 IS; 50mm f1.8; 40mm;EF 1.4x ll.

Re: Firmware problem

By way of an update I seem to have accidentally resolved the problem. I was getting the camera ready to take back to the supplier for repair and as soon as I removed the SD card the camera came back to life and started the update program. It seems that if you have both SD & CF cards in the camera there is some sort of conflict. I can find nothing in the update procedures that mention this, perhaps I should have worked this out for myself, I don't know.
    EOS 5D Mk lll + grip; 580 EX flash; 24-105 IS L; 70-200 f4 L; 300 L f4 IS; 50mm f1.8; 40mm;EF 1.4x ll.

Comment

That sounds very odd. I have recently updated my firmware and left the SD card in place, and had no trouble doing the update. I think there must be some other problem here!

Comment

I'm glad you managed to get it sorted in the end and thanks for posting the update.
        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Updated my 5D Mklll firmware this afternoon, without any problem.

However, I did only have a CF card in the camera.

Dave
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Megalot View Post
            I pushed the button to start the update and the camera has gone dead. Nothing on either screen, no lights or anything.
            Mine worked okay (and that's with a grip attached and both cards inserted) and a lens attached. But I seem to recall a delay (not an OMG length delay) before I caught sight of any action. Anyway glad it sorted itself ... firmware upgrades of any appliance can have heart stopping moments although nowhere near as many as years ago.

Comment

I had both card and it was fine
              Raj
              Flickr

Comment

Strange. The screen went blank and I left it for a good 10 minutes before doing anything with it, something to keep an eye on I think

Comment

I have been trying to update the firmware on my 5D III with no success at all.

I followed the instructions to the letter, I have tried using sd and CF cards. All I get is "Memory card containing firmware is required to update"
                  Battery is fully charged, both cards SD-32GB and CF-16GB were formatted, the firmware was downloaded first the my computer and then directly to the cards. All efforts bring the same result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ian
                  Last edited by Coryman; 18-11-2013, 18:19.
                  Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Coryman View Post
                    All I get is "Memory card containing firmware is required to update"
                    It is the .fir file you copied to the root directory of the SD or CF card?

Comment

This is what downloaded.
                      eos5d3-v123-mac.dmg
                      Last edited by Coryman; 18-11-2013, 19:44.
                      Ian

Comment

If I recall the MAC DMG files contain various other files (it;s a disk image 'container'). You need to extract the contents from the DMG ... one of the extracted files will be a .fir ...

Comment

MX5, Your post triggers a thought and I opened the above file and then copied the .fir file to the sd card and tried again, and update is now loading.

Thank you for triggering my thoughts.

Ian
                          Ian

Comment

Very easy when you know how.
                            Ian

Comment

Happy to trigger a thought and thanks for feeding back.

Comment

Working...
                              X