Checks on buying a used EOS 5 mk 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checks on buying a used EOS 5 mk 3

on Monday I hope to buy a eos 5 mk 3 with an EF 24-105 lens which is reduced in price because it is an ex shop demonstrator, it will have been checked by Canon and has a full UK warrantee as a new camera.
    Previously I have bought brand new cropped frame EOS cameras so have never wondered if the kit is OK. I know to look at the camera and lens for any cosmetic wear and to check if it has the latest firmwate update, but what else should I check, or am I being too careful?

R
    Canon EOS 5D Mk3, 60D.
    Lenses: EF 24-105 L USM, EF 70-300IS USM, EF 100-400 L IS, ISM

Re: Checks on buying a used EOS 5 mk 3

Take a shot of a piece of white paper around f22 to see if the sensor needs a clean - quite often a display model will have a lens on and off a few times, also a proper camera suppler will have the software to check shutter count although I doubt it has enough 'test shots' to worry about. other than the normal checks for wear etc if it has a full warranty and it's a good price then go for it.

.DAVID.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

thanks David
      I went to the shop today to be told that they had checked the camera and found that the main dial did not work and there was a slight scratch on the top lcd screen. So they have sent for a 5/3 from another of their shops and I'll see it on Friday. At least they were honest even if I did have a wasted journey!

R
      Canon EOS 5D Mk3, 60D.

Comment

I would also check the micro usb connection. They would most likely charge the battery via that so it could have seen more use than normal?
        The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Originally posted by JaKS_Foto View Post
          I would also check the micro usb connection. They would most likely charge the battery via that so it could have seen more use than normal?
          Pretty certain that you can't charge the battery from the usb lead (sorry) had to double check in the manual and nope - remove battery and use supplied charger only

.DAVID.
          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

If it's a B-Stock 5D3 plus 24-105L at £2199 ... then effectively whilst you are getting a 'used' camera (ex-display / Canon refurbished stock), it will have been fully checked and tested by Canon UK and will come with a full manufactures 12 month guarantee.

So just check that everything is in the box and fire off a few frames.

Comment

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
              Pretty certain that you can't charge the battery from the usb lead (sorry) had to double check in the manual and nope - remove battery and use supplied charger only

.DAVID.
              Absolutely, didn't mean to mislead

Thanks David.
              The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

thanks for all the advice, got the camera this afternoon, just have to learn how to use it.
                R
                Canon EOS 5D Mk3, 60D.

Comment

Working...
                X