Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5DmkIII and a dog called Oscar

Just got hold of a Canon 5DmkIII.

Been thinking of an upgrade to my 1DmkIII for a little while, the obvious choice would be a move to the mkiv but after looking at my bosses i didn't think it warranted splashing out 2grand for not much of an upgrade (16mp/video).

So i took a gamble on the 5DmkIII there's lots of pluses and a few minuses going around my head at the moment and weather I've done the right thing, think I'll only really know is when i get out on a Saturday afternoon shooting lots of action, once I've got those types of shots in the bag will be the only time I'll know for sure!.

So to give a little test and but my mind a ease i took my dog Oscar out in the Garden with his ball,to give the focus a real workout. I can tell you now there's no harder action to be had then trying to capture my dog and his ball, he goes mad hope the 6fps can keep up with him.
    Also the light is getting low, so had chance to up the iso levels (shots were set at ISO6400)as that's one thing that also attracted me to the 5Dmkiii

GET READY OSCAR

IMG_002312 by Paul linton1, on Flickr

Go Go Go

IMG_000512 by Paul linton1, on Flickr

Focusing seems to work very very well.

IMG_000612 by Paul linton1, on Flickr

ISO 6400 is still pretty clean and lots of detail in the Image.

IMG_001412 by Paul linton1, on Flickr

Overall pretty good show under the conditions (poor light/high ISO/super fast action/Oscar been black and white)

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Re: 5DmkIII and a dog called Oscar

Well I reckon they are all great shots Paul .... I'd kill (well almost) for a 5d III ...

After looking at the 3rd one a few times ... it looks kind of scary .. lol..

A 5d III eh ?... some people have all the luck.
    [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Thanks for looking Wayne,
      Expensive bit of kit that has to be jack of all trades.

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

Having very recently bought a new 5D Mklll, but not yet had the chance to really see what it can do, your pictures are very encouraging

So, you are pleased, and I am pleased, that at least makes two of us

Dave
        Last edited by Dave_S; 19-11-2013, 17:33.
        Dave

Comment

All are very good Paul. A very good camera that 5D 3
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Lovely action shots, looks like a worthwhile investment to me.
            Russell
            Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

thanks Paul, I hope to get mine on Friday, thought your images were spot on, my dog and I are looking forward to the new camera.

R
              Canon EOS 5D Mk3, 60D.
              Lenses: EF 24-105 L USM, EF 70-300IS USM, EF 100-400 L IS, ISM

Comment

Crackin' shots Paul and super IQ at 6400. Can I enquire what lens you used the and settings?

Your rugby/football players don't stand a chance of getting away

Dave
                www.trikietowers.com

Comment

Great choice young man! Terrific set of shots Paul, as I have said previously - when my 1Dmk4 dies I will be replacing it with another 5dmkIII without a doubt, handles everything I can throw at it with ease.

Bought one for Cory a few months ago as an upgrade to her 7D and she tried it out at the BSB showdown at Brands Hatch (with the 70-200 2.8 mk2), a few from her gallery here:

These boys weren't hanging around either so you should have no problem with the footy.

.DAVID.

In case the images don't show for you as Zenfolio is crap like that - Cory's gallery is HERE, sorry if it's a bit slow loading, been chacing them with no help at all
                  Last edited by David Stallard; 19-11-2013, 20:04.
                  Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Great images Paul, I think you're going to get lots of enjoyment from your new camera.
                    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

Looks good so far Paul but time will tell for your sports photography. Super camera but not something i would consider as most of my stuff is wildlife where reach is a big consideration

Stan
                        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                        flickr

Comment

The 5D3 is a great camera which is the obvious upgrade from the 1DS3/5D2 - but surely as the 1D3/1D4 has a much faster than the 5D3 which would make the 1DX the upgrade from them?

No doubt about it though, the 5D3 is certainly giving some tremendous photos as the evidence on this site has shown.

IMO the best crop is the 70D at the moment. I am getting far better pictures from that than I am ever getting for either of my 7Ds - which are now beginning to look old style - but could be considered if you really think and extra 1fps is essential.
                          Last edited by briansquibb; 20-11-2013, 08:15.
                          ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
                            Having very recently bought a new 5D Mklll, but not yet had the chance to really see what it can do, your pictures are very encouraging

Thanks Dave.
                            In the same boat, as not been able to give it a good workout just yet.But no worries so far!
                            Paul

So, you are pleased, and I am pleased, that at least makes two of us

Dave
                            Hi Dave
                            Thanks for comment.
                            Just got to spent a little time with the manual, though the 7D manual was tough going

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                            All are very good Paul. A very good camera that 5D 3
                            Thanks Nathaniel

Originally posted by Columbarius View Post
                            Lovely action shots, looks like a worthwhile investment to me.
                            Thanks Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Randolph View Post
                              thanks Paul, I hope to get mine on Friday, thought your images were spot on, my dog and I are looking forward to the new camera.

R
                              Thanks Randolph
                              If the 5DmkIII can keep track of my dog, it can keep track of most stuff I'll be throwing at it!
                              Paul

Originally posted by DP the Snapper View Post
                              Crackin' shots Paul and super IQ at 6400. Can I enquire what lens you used the and settings?

Your rugby/football players don't stand a chance of getting away

Dave
                              Hi Dave
                              Info on shots : AV mode/ 1/4000sec/ f4.5/ lens 135mm f2/ ISO 6400/ AI servo
                              Paul

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
                              Great choice young man! Terrific set of shots Paul, as I have said previously - when my 1Dmk4 dies I will be replacing it with another 5dmkIII without a doubt, handles everything I can throw at it with ease.

Bought one for Cory a few months ago as an upgrade to her 7D and she tried it out at the BSB showdown at Brands Hatch (with the 70-200 2.8 mk2), a few from her gallery here:

These boys weren't hanging around either so you should have no problem with the footy.

.DAVID.

In case the images don't show for you as Zenfolio is crap like that - Cory's gallery is HERE, sorry if it's a bit slow loading, been chacing them with no help at all
                              Thanks David
                              Will Definitely be having a looking at those

Comment

Working...
                              X