7D AF getting frustrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7D AF getting frustrating

For me having the right lens and body is so important. It's not just because of IQ. It's the wee things you don't give a single thought for when you think you want to get into wildlife photography, and then the reality of it sets in.

Your kit needs to be able to withstand abuse. You're going to be lying down on the ground, standing in the rain, out in the cold and sometimes splashing into the river. Your kit needs to be able to last longer in the field than you can. The 7D has already proved it can do that, albeit a taster for what a real wildlife camera (1D series) can do. Lets face it, the 7D is the consumer version of a 1D without the price tag.

The lens also takes a battering. You're leaning it on trees, dirt mounds, fences and anything else that'll give you a sharper shot or you're poking it through tree branches to get closer. The body and lens needs to be able to wake up and AF as fast a possible. Lord knows how many times I've been standing with the camera to my eye in light rain waiting for the kingfisher to land. It pops up just right, you get the shot, then don't give it a thought that, if you were using lesser equipment, you might not have pulled it off.

I just think there's more to wildlife photography than a camera and lens. Even less emphasis to whether the lens has IS or not too. Most of the time longer zooms/primes are perched on a tripod anyway in hides.
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Comment

I'm really glad I bought a lens coat for my 300 + 1.4 as it gives me a lot of piece of mind. But when it comes to the camera body I still can't bring myself to take it out in a rain shower. Does anyone use any 'coat' for the camera body too? If so any links?
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

I use a ladies shower cap popped over the top area of the camera when it's raining and then whip it off to make a shot. They a large enough to cover a standard or wide angle lens fitted with 100mm square Lee filters and also the camera body. Looks a bit daft but I generally don't care what others think in these situations. I would suspect a whole body and lens cover may suffer from humidity build up problems.
        Hope this helps
        James
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I guess it would be easy enough to make something with a rubber band and freezer bag but I thought maybe there was something made specifically for the purpose. I keep looking but haven't found anything.
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

You can get specific lens and camera coats that wrap around the whole set up and let you continue to use the camera in the rain. They are just called camera rain covers. I remember seeing them on a website that sold photo hides.
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Seem to recall Optech as well as others make these

P.S. quick look on Amazon
              Last edited by antoeknee; 06-01-2014, 12:52.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by Riggers View Post
                I guess it would be easy enough to make something with a rubber band and freezer bag but I thought maybe there was something made specifically for the purpose. I keep looking but haven't found anything.

There is a selection of rain covers available from the EOS magazine Shop:
                Robert
                robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

got one similar to the matin one but in camo .rarely used but worth having i also have a large waterproof heavy duty sealable bag for putting in my pocket when travelling light .think i got it from a marine kayak shop the whole camera and long lens fit in it nicely .

Comment

I use a walking gaiter. Cut off all the straps and away you go. The elasticated ankle part is just right to fit round a 300mm f2.8 or even a 500mil which about the limit.

Cheers,
                    Neil
                    Neilly's Flickr Page
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
                    Facebook
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

I got a couple of the Optech Rain sleeves a while ago: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Op-Tech-Rain...over+for+canon
                      I figured that for the few quid it was worth having them available in my camera bag should the need arise. It hasn't yet, so this isn't a very helpful review...
                      Canon EOS 7D
                      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I also keep a pack of Optech rain sleeves handy.
                        Colin

Comment

Working...
                        X