Setting up a 5DMKII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up a 5DMKII?

After deciding that I should keep my 550D and upgrade my lenses first, I have just bought bought a second hand 5DMKII :big grin:

I was thinking about buying the 70-200 2.8L IS but the consensus was that it wouldn't be a great choice to shoot weddings on a cropped sensor camera so I turned it down. A week later my own wedding photographer put his 5DMKII up for sale at a similar price. He lives locally, I trust him, he looks after his kit, it has under 40,000 shutter actuations and it was one of the cameras he used to shoot my wedding, so I thought - when am I going to get a better opportunity to go full frame? He also threw in a Sun Sniper strap.

I've bought a CF card, adjusted the diopter, set the image to RAW and started to read the manual. Over the next few weeks I'll really start experimenting with it and taking plenty of shots, but in the meantime does anybody have any tips or recommendations for setting up the camera?
    Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Re: Setting up a 5DMKII?

A 5D2 will be a good camera for wedding photos. However a good wedding photographer has a lot more kit than a camera and a lens.

I would suggest that you would also need a 24-105/70.

Next on the list will be flashes (at least 2, preferably 580/600 power) and the remote control, as you cannot rely local lighting.

It is a big leap to pro as apposed to amateur. The 5D2 + 70-200 is a good start though

Wish you all the best
    ef-r

Comment

Yep, a new lens is my next priority. I was looking at a second hand 24-70 2.8 Mk1 for about £700 but I have read a few negative reviews of this lens. My photographer recommended it though, along with the 24-70. I'm planning on getting some practice in with flash over the coming weeks. Budget is a concern though, given that I've just dropped a big wage of cash on the body. I really need to decide on selling the 550d body with kit lenses to put towards full frame kit, but that would leave me with only one body and no back up for the wedding in February.

Thanks Brian, it is a big scary leap...
      Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

Congratulations on the new camera. Look forward to seeing what you produce.
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

I'd run through:

In case anything grabs you.

More generally if I was doing weddings I'd probably turn off "Shoot without card", just in case. I also have HSS enabled as it only does anything at speeds where non HSS flash wouldn't work.

On lenses the 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8s are certainly common, a fast 85 for inside when flash isn't allowed is also a thought. Do remember you can always rent the first time and see what works and what doesn't.

Comment

Great link, DrJon. Got it bookmarked. Shoot without card is already switched off as I found when I forgot to put a card in and take a shot. Thanks for the HSS tip.

I've been looking at lens rental to try out both the zoom lenses you mentioned. I can get both for around £110 in most places although lens locker has them for under £100. I've never used a rental company before and I'm not sure why they were cheaper.

Comment

Working...
            X