X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS M2 announced

Just noticed this.
    Seems like Canon have beefed up the AF compared to the original EOS M

Canon (finally) launched its first mirrorless interchangeable lens camera last year and while we loved the design and the image quality of the EOS M, the focusing speed, well, left a lot to be desired. The EOS M2 looks set to answer that particular issue. Announced today, and ready to launch in a few weeks, the new ILC promises auto-focus speeds over 2.3 times faster than the EOS M. Canon credits its new Hybrid CMOS AF II system for the improvement, which expands the focus window it monitors up to 80 percent of the total viewfinder -- that's over double the size of the area on the camera's predecessor. The built-in APS-C sensor remains the same, although Canon has solved the curious blacked-out screen issue that occurred on the original EOS M whenever you took a photo. Canon's also crammed in WiFi connectivity for wireless sharing and, according to the PR shots, has left the design of the EOS M2 body largely unchanged. With a kit lens, it'll arrive later in December priced at 84,800 yen (roughly $820), or you can choose the body alone for 64,800 yen, putting the price around $627. Once we hear when and where the new ILC challenger is heading post-Japan, we'll let you know. We're hoping to play around with it very soon.
    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Re: EOS M2 announced

Mike,

The article seems to concentrate on a faster AF system, I know that the recent firmware update vastly improved the AF of the original. I'll wait for a formal 'official' announcement (from Robert Scott? ).
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

I read about it on ephotozine this morning.
      Surprised it hasn't been mentioned on other sites though

Comment

Appears it's not coming to Europe (or the US).
        Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Yeah, I saw it. Asia only. Pretty underwhelming.
          Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

Originally posted by SamFisher View Post
            I read about it on ephotozine this morning.
            Surprised it hasn't been mentioned on other sites though
            It was on the EOS magazine newsblog yesterday.

Camera news and updates from the world of Canon EOS photography published by EOS magazine

The newsblog is easy to get to from the forum - it is the first link under the 'EOS magazine' heading.
            Robert
            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

OOPS - Sorry Robert

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by lone pilgrim View Post
                Yeah, I saw it. Asia only. Pretty underwhelming.
                As underwhelming as the original "M"??

Mike

Comment

Mike
                  The original is actually a lovely little camera.

Comment

Originally posted by nickorando View Post
                    The original is actually a lovely little camera.
                    I agree - but only since the AF was fixed by the firmware upgrade. As the M2 will not be released in the UK/US, I will continue to use my wee EOS
                    Bob Turner
                    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

I have to admit to not using an EOS M out in the field but the feel of it and the slow AF just didn't feel right to me when I tried it in the shop.
                      I'd love to be proved wrong as since back in the days of the A1 I've really enjoyed shooting with Canon cameras.
                      In the end I bought a Lumix mirrorless camera which I love.

With the firmware upgrade and new lower price of £299 with cashback makes it slightly more attactive.
                      Are you seeing a big difference in performance since the upgrade Bob?

Mike

Comment

All I can say is that I love my little M. I use it everyday and it takes wonderful pictures. As a matter of fact I have a daily blog, just using the M. Check out some of the pictures. And the firmware upgrade was a nice improvement, but the AF is still no where near the speed of the 5DMKII.

Tom

Comment

Mike
                          Haha! No doubt it is capable of taking some great shots, with the right eye behind the camera, but then we're living in an age when great cameras abound, compared to what we were using 3 or 4 years previously. If I was looking to get into a mirroless system, which I was seriously considering a few months ago, my question was - why would I pick the Canon over other manufacturer's cameras?

Canon is a cutting edge camera company and I would have hoped that their foray into the mirrorless camera body world would be more innovative and exciting, especially since they're coming to the game relatively late. Poor AF, lack of electronic viewfinder and few native lenses at launch put me off, plus it wasn't exactly cheap.

Plus points for me were the ability to attach existing canon lenses and retain some AF, the sensor (I have a 550D and I think it's that same sensor which I like even though it's old now), and the fact that it's Canon.

However, the plus points didn't outweigh the negatives for me, and I wasn't convinced that I'd be able to keep using the body for 3+ years without it's features falling further behind the competition.

Given my relative disappointment at the launch then, I was hoping that the EOS M 2 would make another big step forward. Instead we got some WIFI, a modest AF improvement and limited release.

I love Canon gear and I worry that they are getting left behind by Sony, Fuji and Panasonic in this area. I want them to trickle down their awesome DSLR tech into the mirror less system with FF, EVF, better selection of lenses and a decent price. I didn't get any of that and that's why I was underwhelmed.

Great, blog by the way Tom. I love the idea of choosing just one setting for the camera and shooting everything at it. You've obviously got a lot of discipline shooting at that rate too!
                          Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

Lack of an EVF is a major plus to me; I detest them. I've tried several CSC models, but the huge advantages of the M are far more than spec deep. Firstly, it's really genuinely small - with the pancake, very pocketable. That means it's replaced my compact, and provides much better quality. Secondly, the touchscreen interface - it's brilliant. Most similar cameras require a lot of button pressing and take a lot longer to set up for a shot, or at least to switch between settings. It's also very well made, and makes me feel very confident. Lenses? Well yes, there's not a lot of native lenses, but with the EF adaptor, it means I can use it as a backup to my 6D for travelling, and with an FD adaptor and a Leica M adaptor, I can use quite a few alternative old lenses too. But to be honest, most of the time the pancake and 18-55 are sufficient for what I want from this camera anyway - sure, fast wideangle and short tele lenses would be nice, but not essential. But being able to stick my 8-15 L on it makes it far more versatile than any other CSC out there for me. So the sensor's not cutting edge - the reality is that it produces perfectly good results, certainly as good as my alternative backup cameras - which use the same sensor. AF was fairly grim to start with, although easy enough to live with once I got used to it, and is quite respectable now.
                            I don't want FF mirrorless, I think it's an idiotic idea when you can have a proper DSLR - the M is actually the closest thing to what I do want. The M2 actually looks closer (even smaller, WiFi, improved AF), but I suspect the M3 when it turns up, with a dual pixel sensor etc will be pretty close to it. In the meantime, I expect to be more than happy with the M for some time to come. I am glad I didn't pay full price for it, though!

Comment

This is developing into an interesting thread. I do wonder how well the M sold in the EU and US as this may be the reason the M2 is apparantly not (initially) being made available in these regions. The Asia area seem a lot more smitten by mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras than elsewhere (if the various press and pundits are correct).

So anyone thought about small and gone 100D or M or indeed jumped ship?

Comment

Working...
                              X