Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just been offered a cheap 5D, what to do…..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just been offered a cheap 5D, what to do…..

I have just bought a new lens for my crop bodies and then someone emails me about a 5D Mk1 I can have for £200. Tatty but working perfectly apparently.

At that price it's hard to resist, but I've just dropped £300 on the new lens and it won't work on a 5D of course! Argh! If I get the 5D and it's that much better than a crop camera I can see myself losing more money. Help!

Do I go for it and see what happens or do I forget about it and save my money for a 7D upgrade next year.

Re: Just been offered a cheap 5D, what to do…..

It's only a bargain if you need it

William
    40D, 70D. 400 5.6, 70-200 2.8IS, 17-50 2.8, 150 2.8 Macro, EOS-M3

Comment

They are going for about £250 on ebay so that's a good offer if it's sound. Always toyed with the idea of having a 5D1 but I don't know if there's not enough pics out there or the people taking them aren't very good, but after seeing the pics on flickr I'm not too convinced.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Hi Paul, from your previous posts kind of got impression you were still exploring the 7D capabilities.

Would 5D1 meet what you really want or would it be better to use cash towards 5D2/5D3?

Difficult decision and it might be one to make with head rather than heart!
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I think I would only go for a 5D mkII. Still a very capable camera, if not for pure landscape and portraiture. I guess anything is great with the right light. I'm stocking up on the right lenses first. If the right deal came along to part with the 7D I might consider it :)
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

If I had a 7D I think I'd want to move to a Mklll - one review I read concluded that the 7d & Mkll were equal as far as practical image quality goes.

For £200 I think I could buy this 5D and try it out. Could probably sell it on for the same amount. My head says crop is fine for weddings/events with good lenses but I've been brought up of FF (film).

Comment

I'm not expert on the matter, worth checking with Dr Google, but I thought the 5D MK1 could have shutter issues of some kind at very high shutter counts. Double check before you part with your cash.

On the plus side, I used a 5D a few years back and loved it! Time has moved on since then MKII and MKIII to get all excited about..
              www.markwalkerphotography.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X