7D AF Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D AF Settings

My 7D arrived today - pretty amazing when I only ordered it 3 days ago and it was delivered from Hong Kong! What's ironic is I ordered the CF card for it from Amazon at the same time (because I only have SD cards) and paid for first class post and it still hasn't arrived. Go figure that one!

First impressions when taking it out of the box is that it feels like a step up from the 6D. I know that's crazy but it has much more of a pro feel about it. I know (when I can finally take a picture with it grrrr) the IQ and noise control is going to struggle to compete with the 6D but first impressions with the build quality and features are really positive.

How I'm expecting this baby to excel is with the AF system and the burst rate so that's where my question comes in. Having read zillions of threads across the internet relating to 7D settings I'm no closer to knowing what's the best way to get it set up for wildlife because there are so many different and confusing stories. Many people still stick with using the centre AF point only - why would they do that when the AF system is the 7D's party piece? Others wax lyrical about the AF expansion and 19 cross type AF points.

Having read all that stuff I still don't feel like I really understand how it works best and what's going to be the best set up for me so would really appreciate some expert help to get me on my way.

I'm expecting it to need different settings for BIF rather than mainly static objects so if I wondered any anyone is storing both set ups as C1 / C2 and if so what settings are you using?

I would think BIF will form a tiny fraction of any shots I expect to get with most of my shots being small creatures who are static sometimes and flitting about at others e.g. birds in trees, squirrels running around forests etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Re: 7D AF Settings

Get hold of Charlotte Lowrie's Canon EOS 7D Digital Field Guide. Available from Amazon.
    It walks you through using the 7D but not in the manor of a User Guide, more of how to use the 7D. Each chapter can be read individually as a section on it's own.
    David

Comment

Well done on getting the 7D Lee.

Take a read of this, I found it very useful. (LINK)
      I hope you find it useful too.
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks I'll take a look at that. But I'd also love to hear from the experts in here about how they are getting the most out of their 7D.

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
          Well done on getting the 7D Lee.

Take a read of this, I found it very useful. (LINK)
          I hope you find it useful too.
          Cheers, Stephen I'll have a read of that one too when I get home from work tomorrow.

Comment

I'm sure your going to have lots of fun with your recent purchase Lee.

I'm hoping to get to grips with mine now i have a bit of time off, I just need the lens for bif.
            Chris
            Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

Just take your time. With settings ... do one at a time and see how you get on. Also be happy you can get the exposure spot on and then progress to tuning the sophisticated AF. The 7D is a very good camera (and don't let people spoil your enjoyment) ... many of the detractors either never got to grips with setting it right or like a lot of commentators never actually used one. Just structure your getting to grips with it and enjoy.

Comment

Learning the 7D is all about exposure, exposure and exposure. Get that right and the rest is just choosing the right settings for what you want to achieve. Make the histogram your best friend and always take another shot if the histogram implies you should. There will be situations where your skill and experience will override the camera shot and the histogram inspired shot, so take a third shot. If you always take the extra shots in the same order (camera, histogram, you) it makes life a lot easier analysing exposures when you are doing your RAW conversion. As you build up your 7D knowledge, you will know which exposure to rely on.

For the AF, start with the centre point and add the 19 assist surround points. That means you will have to nail the initial AF with the centre point, but as the subject moves around, if it wanders into the surround 19 points, the 7D will still maintain focus. For focus speed, keep it relatively slow. On the sliders, halfway between the middle and the left hand side is a good starting point. You would think that setting it to the fastest possible would be best, but speeding up the focus allows it to skip to other items that are closer and you really need to keep focus on the subject.

Read the manual, but just the chapters you need, when you need them. Take note of others settings, but be aware that it's their settings, yours will probably end up subtly different. When you do decide to experiment from your basic set-up, only change one setting at a time.

Not everyone can drive a Ferrari well; it takes skill, determination and practice. The 7D is every bit the thoroughbred in the camera world as the Ferrari is to the car world and equally rewarding when mastered .................. but not as fast ............ or expensive .............. or dear to insure ......... or unreliable!
                Colin

Comment

colin can you clarify ,start with centre point and add the other 19 assist points ???

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                    colin can you clarify ,start with centre point and add the other 19 assist points ???
                    I am going from memory and the last time I used a 7D, the Custom Functions were pretty similar to my 1D.

On the 1D:

• Cfn AF4/3 Choose Selectable AF point(s) - Single, 9, 15 or 61.
                    • Cfn AF4/4 Select AF area - Manual spot, Expand AF area, expand AF area surround, Zone AF, 61 point AF.

I use the red highlighted options so that I will lock onto the target with the single centre point and although I will always try to keep the target centred, if it moves around a bit, the area surround points will maintain focus. I will sometimes move the single centre point to the left, or right, to improve composition and the surround points will move to cluster around the new single point.

If my memory of the 7D is not quite correct, I apologise for any confusion.
                    Colin

Comment

Best advice I can give about the 7D is to wipe the slate clean of everything you've seen and heard about this camera. Loads of people operate it in different ways, and to give a single set of settings that just works is difficult as it's such a customisable camera that there's no real hard and fast way to nail it.

Stephens post (#3) is how I have mine set up.
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to get out there are use it now. I only wish I ordered the CF card from Hong Kong too and maybe it would be here by now lol.

Comment

Working...
                        X