Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sensor Cleaning

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
    OK Colin, I understand that, but then what happens after the tacky area gets "filled up"! If these dust particles in the tacky area gets "filled up" or nearly "full" shouldn't some attempt be made to remove all the gunge? If this is not removed, what happens? "Sine die" till the camera is sold?
    A perfectly logical train of thought Nathaniel, but in practice it's not a problem. We are talking about extremely minute particles and the tacky pad is designed, in theory, to be able to collect all particles for the life of the camera.

Of course there will always be an exception: a photographer who doesn't exercise good practice when changing lenses, or works in a particularly dusty environment, but if it ever gets to be a problem, then a professional clean is warranted.

If there is ever a pro camera shop event in your area, then go along to that and they normally have Canon staff available for a full camera clean (not just the sensor) and these are free of charge. Best get there early though!

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice. I don't have a problem as yet since I take all sensible precautions mentioned. Just to avoid any problems I usually keep a short zoom or such lens on my 350d as it doesn't have automatic sensor clean. so the changing of lenses is minimal with that camera body. I change lenses more often with the 450d as I am happy with the senor cleaning process there. Even here I always note the subjects I want to photograph and fit a lens to suit. So with two cameras fitted with suitable lenses I am more or less ready for the "shoot".

When I do have the dust problem I will shout out "help"!
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Many thanks for your suggestions. I am keen to be able to clean the camera myself. I am going to investigate some of the products mentioned and hopefully buy some soon.

Thanks again

Comment

Will someone please point me in the direction of a retail outlet where I can purchase the previously mentioned items - to help me to remain lazy by not trawling the net!!!

Comment

Park Cameras, Warehouse Express and any Pro Camera Shop. There is at least one in each major city.

Hope that helps.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Something to bear in mind if using a Sensor Brush/Arctic Butterfly type device - be careful not go pick up any oils or grease from the chamber and mirror mechanism as you poke the brush in. I had no problems with my old 300D but when I swapped to a 40D is encountered all manner of problems and ended up getting greasy smears all over the sensor. In the end I went to Lehmanns in Stoke who did a free clean as the camera was less than 12 months. I haven't had the need to clean it since but will probably go back to the brush when it does as it's a straightforward procedure really - plus I have a full compliment of swabs and solutions now (all Visible Dust products that I got from Speed Graphic).

Don't forget when cleaning to make sure you have a fully charged battery otherwise you'll have some serious shutter/mirror damage.

Comment

I believe the "Free" clean that was mentioned is only during the warranty period and I don't think is a CPS exclusive, certainly when they last had my 5DmkII (3 months after warranty expiration) I was charged £50 for its first ever Canon clean and I'm in CPS.

Comment

Working...
                  X