Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choices

After all the fuss of getting my 1d3 my son has just decided to go nikon and has offered me his 70d at a good price now the only way I can do it is to sell the 1d3 ,not yet tested the 70d so not even sure I,ll like it .what would you do ??.

Re: Choices

I would try testing the 70D and if the results are equal or better than the 1D3 then go for it. I haven't tried either of the cameras but the results from yours and Paul's 1D3's are stunning.
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

If you're happy with the 1Diii then I'd stick with it - no sense in changing for changes sake just because the price is good. Being comfortable with, and believing in your equipment goes an awful long way to making magic images.
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Whilst initial reports of the 70D were good there are some now having focus problems similar to the 7D, that being said it does look a stunning camera especially if you are interested in video for stills I'm not too sure, however the excellent results you achieve with the 1D MkIII to me doesnt warrant you changing and it could be a backward step.... no point changing for changings sake as they say

As a point of interest what drove your son to decide to relinquish his Canon gear for Nikon especially as the 70D is only a few months old

Kind Regards
        Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by GORDH View Post
          As a point of interest what drove your son to decide to relinquish his Canon gear for Nikon especially as the 70D is only a few months old

Kind Regards
          Gordon
          no idea gordon ,i think he is being driven by advice from contacts ,one of whom i cannot stand .complete and utter brainstorm in IMHO .

Comment

I agree with the others- don't change! The 1D Mk3 is a professional camera whilst the 70D is not. I hope you are keeping well after you recent check up.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I myself am as guilty as anybody for pixel peeping and comparing other makes and models with a view to changing, but I dont believe like for like theres a massive difference, sure you can say this or that has less noise or slightly better colour rendition etc etc but we are looking at most of our pics on a screen where we have the ability to zoom in past a 100%! and change virtually everything via Photoshop, print any out to 10 x 12 and you wouldn't see the difference

People are influenced by their peers (read fanboy) and the photography community has its fair share, my Nikon/Canon is better than your Canon/Nikon argument abate everywhere but in truth its mostly rubbish except for incremental changes to most ranges at a given price point theres not a huge amount to choose between them

Thats why I say if you are happy and confident in what you use why change? and while your son may sell his 70D at a bargain price its only a bargain if its what you want and can improve on what you have, as I said before stick with your 1DMk III...you know it makes sense

Kind Regards
              Gordon
              Last edited by GORDH; 11-03-2014, 15:03. Reason: gramatical error

Comment

I regret swapping my 1D3 for the 7D but I certainly don't regret selling my 7D for the 70D
                Build quality is ok but not in the 1D3 league
                Image quality is excellent though

Mike
                www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                  I agree with the others- don't change! The 1D Mk3 is a professional camera whilst the 70D is not. I hope you are keeping well after you recent check up.

Looks like I have the answer then ,thanks nat yes all o.k they spotted a growth in my inner ear while having my hearing aids made ,and it was a check up to make sure of what it actually was ,so had a computer microscope poked down my lug hole and they probed about with a needle ,got the all clear anyway it's just a extra bit that i have but it's normal .

Comment

I think you made the right decision in keeping the 1Dmk3. If you got rid of it you would just want another one.

Comment

Working...
                    X