Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Used 1D Mark 4

Hi Riggers
    What is the 1D mk4 going to be used for and your thinking??

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
      Hi Riggers
      What is the 1D mk4 going to be used for and your thinking??

Paul
      Right now I have a 6D which I use for everything except wildlife, which is all use my 7D for. My 300 + 1.4 TC lives on my 7D permanently. The reasons I'm looking at an alternative to the 7D for a second body are:

- IMO the 7D is a shambles above ISO 800 so it's a sunny day camera only. Alternatives for wildlife seem to be 5D3 or second hand 1D3/1D4.

- I have a christening and two weddings coming up this year for friends and family where I'll want to use my 70-200 on one body and either the 24-70 or 50mm on the other and I know I'll never be happy using the 7D in those circumstances as it will feel like a massive compromise over the 6D. I'd probably find myself just swapping lenses on the 6D all the time.

Obviously if I only wanted a second body for wildlife I'd go 1D4 and if only for portraits etc I'd go 5D3. Since I want both I'll probably stick to 5D3.
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

In that case Lee I don't think you'll go far wrong with a 5D3. It sounds like you trust the IQ of the 6D. The image files from the 1D3 are simply amazing, however, I've never used a FF camera so I can't advise. However, maybe a 5D3 and 1D3 might sit better? Selling the 6D and 7D.
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
          In that case Lee I don't think you'll go far wrong with a 5D3. It sounds like you trust the IQ of the 6D. The image files from the 1D3 are simply amazing, however, I've never used a FF camera so I can't advise. However, maybe a 5D3 and 1D3 might sit better? Selling the 6D and 7D.
          With hindsight yes I would have been better splashing the extra cash on the 5D3 instead of the 6D but it was double the price. At the time I bought the 6D I wasn't doing any wildlife pics (its before I moved house to live next to Old Moor lol). My research on the 5D3 vs 6D told me the big thing was the AF system, which was of little importance to me at the time. Right now I don't really want to sell the 6D because I'm sick of selling almost new gear for half (or less in some cases) what I paid for it.

Ignoring the 1DX due to price the 5D3 seems to me to be the perfect all-rounder. The 1D4 just clouds the issue because it's obviously great for wildlife although I know the 5D3 is also a cracking wildlife camera, although it obviously performs much better when you stick an 8 grand lens on the end of it, which has a little more reach.

If I do go 5D3 I think I'll regret the decision to sell my 2x mark 3 as that would now work with the 300 and the 5D3

Comment

OK Riggers that's cleared the reasoning up nicely

I would be tempted to then go for the 1D as you have a full frame camera in the 6D for every day and special occasion events(weddings/ parties/portraits/landscapes)maybe the 5D would be to similar.
            The 1D could fill the gap when you shoot fast action stuff like birds in flight plus get that little extra reach, its also a very versatile camera that can shoot loads of different events with ease if you couldn't or didn't want to carry two cameras.

Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Was just going to Echo what Paul said. If you don't want to part with the 6D and why would you :) then having a 1DIV is no way a compromise to a 5D3. In fact you'll probably just use that all the time. I'd put a fiver on it :)
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                Was just going to Echo what Paul said. If you don't want to part with the 6D and why would you :) then having a 1DIV is no way a compromise to a 5D3. In fact you'll probably just use that all the time. I'd put a fiver on it :)
                I'd have that bet but expect I might be skint very soon :)

From what I can tell the 6D is probably only going to outperform the 1D4 in low light situations where the 6D is about 1 stop better.

Comment

I don't know if I think about cameras in different ways to others. I buy an all rounder and simply make it work for everything I do. I tend not to see cameras for what they were made for in terms of genres. They all have the same qualities in my eyes.

If I had a 6D I'd probably use it for wildlife, sports or journo stuff. I have a 1D3 and just expect it to work when I want it to no matter I'm shooting. If it fails in it's task I just swap it for something else. If I needed a camera as a back up, I'd buy the exact same model I have.

It's the lenses I find fit genres rather than bodies.

I dunno, maybe I'm just a simple soul but I just see that 1/500th is the same no matter what camera you use :) I use that as an example of course. Indeed, it's going to be quicker to fire off on more expensive cameras, but do we really notice the speed difference in milliseconds?
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

I'm sure you're right Paul and I could easily make my second body for these upcoming events another 6D. Wildlife-wise if I had a spare £8k lying about for a long lens none of these questions about which body to go for would really come into play because just about anything would do the job.

Buy and all-rounder and make it work for you sounds great but I think we've both discovered the 7D ain't an all rounder.

Comment

Whilst I don't have any experience of either camera, don't neglect to consider that a 1d iv 1.3-crop with 16 MP actually gives less "reach" than cropping in to 16MP on a 5D iii

Oh, and though it's of little practical use, I'd go with the 1D iv
                      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
                        Whilst I don't have any experience of either camera, don't neglect to consider that a 1d iv 1.3-crop with 16 MP actually gives less "reach" than cropping in to 16MP on a 5D iii

Oh, and though it's of little practical use, I'd go with the 1D iv
                        You had me there until the second sentence lol

Such a hard choice between these two :)

Comment

I've probed into the history of these 1D4's for sale at MPB and they say "I can confirm that they were purchased from one of our regular customers who owns a hire company, so whilst the kit is often well used, it is well serviced and looked after."

Another interpretation could be "they were purchased from a hire company so have been trashed by 100s of users".

Comment

See if you really want one Lee, I think patience might win in the end. I waited 3 months for my 1D3 and DannyD from the forum asked me if I wanted to but his. Naturally I jumped on it. Sometimes you can get a good turn if you put the feelers out.
                            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Yes but waiting is not one of my strong points.

I would think most have been snapped up by now with the 1DX being out ages.

Comment

you already have a 6d for your full frame quality shots .sit back and look into mine and pauls flickr streams since xmas this year ,we both moved from 7d's to 1dmk3 with a 400mm f5.6 prime as our lenses of choice ,the id3 shoots way above its spec range .if you look on flickr you can access both of our exif datas to ,and see we both regularly shoot at iso 3200 with no problems ,this would in fact give you a superb camera with only a loss of 6 mp ,it has no bells or whistles just does the job of taking pics superbly .and would probably save you around 12 to 1300 quid to boot .
                                1D3 AROUND £750
                                1d4 around £2000

mull it over .

Comment

Working...
                                X