Remote Shooting with EOS 6D & EOS Utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Shooting with EOS 6D & EOS Utility

I spent a day successfully photographing artwork using EOS Utility with my EOS 6D remotely controlled from a laptop. I’ve done this before with an EOS 40D without any subsequent problems.

The tethered work required certain camera settings to be changed & I returned to their previous settings when the artwork was finished. I then used the camera normally for a few days before doing another tethered shoot yesterday.

This time EOS Utility would not recognise the 6D on either my laptop or desktop. After changing cables, fiddling with USB ports, taking the camera battery out I eventually tried “clearing all camera settings” & everything worked! What surprised me was that this does not appear to alter all settings, certainly Custom Functions weren’t affected, & it didn’t take long to reset my personal settings.

Before anyone mentions Wi-Fi & the 6D – yes I gave it a go and it’s a useful alternative to tethered shooting, but I prefer using the EOS Utility/Laptop combination which I feel gives me more control.

Hope this information is of use to someone.

Bob
    Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Re: Remote Shooting with EOS 6D & EOS Utility

Interesting, thanks Bob.
    I have not used the EOS Utility from my computer yet.
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Working...
    X