Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7DII Soon?

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
    I know I'll be branded a heretic for this but don't Nikon FF cameras like the D610 have a much wider dynamic range than either the 6D or the GH4?

Looking at DXO mark, the difference between the D610 and the 6D for Landscape is over two stops, which I often find is enough. I know they're not real world tests but on paper it would be a Nikon to go for if you do landscape work. Which leaves me wondering why we see such good shots on FF Canons if there is such an on-paper deficiency...
    Must be that its photographers who take pictures not the camera !!
    James
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I know I'll be branded a heretic for this but don't Nikon FF cameras like the D610 have a much wider dynamic range than either the 6D or the GH4?

Looking at DXO mark, the difference between the D610 and the 6D for Landscape is over two stops, which I often find is enough. I know they're not real world tests but on paper it would be a Nikon to go for if you do landscape work. Which leaves me wondering why we see such good shots on FF Canons if there is such an on-paper deficiency...
      just been reading up on this andy it seems that while nikon have high resolution sensor cameras like the d7100,(no a/i filter) the d610,d800,d800E there lenses cannot resolve above a 21mp sensor size ,not sure of the exact schematics .if you look at results from any of the above cameras on somewhere such as flickr after a while you can actually tell the difference ,the photos are to defined ,to sharp to the point of being jagged .look and you will see .
      till such time as a whole new generation of lenses come along (think ££££$$$$ and or yen) then we are now at a impasse point .

the other thing to note is ,and i talk from personal experience you cannot mix various generations of lenses,cameras and t.c's together and expect good results .i.e with my own 1d3 and 400mm f5.6 a 1.4mk 2 t.c works better than the latest mk3 version .where as the mk3 would probably be better on the 1dx body .

Comment

There are some good Nikon lenses, plus the way camera and sensor resolution adds (well, subtracts from the higher one really) means a higher resolution sensor will get more detail out of a lens than a lower resolution one. For example see:

On sharpness there are a lot of lenses that DXO rates higher on the D800e than any Canon lens on any camera. Start here and work down the list:

or:

(The first Canon is on page 3 BTW, with a 300 f2.8 II on it)

The Nikons (and Sonys) are great for Dynamic Range below ISO 800, they walk all over everything Canon, above that there really isn't anything in it. (If you expose well the low-ISO DR doesn't matter so much except for some specific purposes, like Landscapes, Panoramas, although it doesn't hurt either.)
        Last edited by DrJon; 30-05-2014, 12:56.

Comment

It's always a good idea to look rationally at all the options, so no, not a heretic, just wanting to be well-informed.

Oh and I wouldn't say the GH4 is as good for Landscapes as a D800e or D610, but that's not why I got it. It has the best live-view AF out there (it has a form of phase-detect as well as contrast-detect), plus a tilt/swivel display (actually not a LCD hence "display") so is excellent for high/low shooting. It does 7.5 fps with AF tracking or 12 fps with focus set at that of the first frame. Plus you can have focus peaking (which is really good) and zebras (for over-brightness) in the EVF. Also both face-detect and eye-detect (you can switch eyes). Finally 4k video with the wonderful Cinelike-D profile. The 12-35 and 35-100 mm f2.8 zooms weigh 665g the pair (crop factor is 2x). There are things my 5DmkII does better (low-light, lens selection and I really like the tone curve they use) but most of the things the GH4 does well all the current Canons are poor at, so I decided it was a better bet than upgrading to a newer FF Canon, as that got me very little extra for about the same money (assuming I sold the 5DmkII).
          Last edited by DrJon; 30-05-2014, 12:54. Reason: Fixed two typos...

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post

the other thing to note is ,and i talk from personal experience you cannot mix various generations of lenses,cameras and t.c's together and expect good results .i.e with my own 1d3 and 400mm f5.6 a 1.4mk 2 t.c works better than the latest mk3 version .where as the mk3 would probably be better on the 1dx body .
            5D3 Mk3 better than the 1DX? Only for picture size ...

Both the 5D3 and the 1DX have autofocus for f8 lens such as the 400 f5.6 + 1.4

Following your logic you are saying that the 1D3 is better than the 1DX. Definitely not!
            ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
              5D3 Mk3 better than the 1DX? Only for picture size ...

Both the 5D3 and the 1DX have autofocus for f8 lens such as the 400 f5.6 + 1.4

Following your logic you are saying that the 1D3 is better than the 1DX. Definitely not!
              no i was referring to t.c's not bodies ,my 1D3 will a/f at f8 to .but as i have access to both the mk2 and mk3 1.4tc and have tried them both with my camera body (1D3) and lens combo(400F5.6) and for whatever reason the mk2 t.c is giving consistently better results .

this could be more to do with better optics tending to show up more faults with technique etc than with the actual camera or lens.and the older 1d3 sensor coping better with the older t.c

i.e i used to use nikon having d300s and a d7000 bodies ,plus a 300mm f4 lens and 1.4 and 1.7t.c's ,on selling both bodies and buying a d7100 my performance and keeper rate went down the pan extremely quickly ,i had two 7100 bodies that both eventually broke but when they did work i found it extremely hard to emulate the performance i got with the older and less sensitive bodies/sensors .

hope this explains it better for you .
              Last edited by the black fox; 04-06-2014, 21:29.

Comment

2 factors here:

1. The 1D3 is a 1.3 crop which does not help

2. The 1D3 is only 10mp against 21 of the 5D2

Personally I didn't get on with the 5D2 which I swapped for a 1DS3, which is a cracking and much ignored camera

I the sold my 1DS3 and 1D4 for the 1DX - which is a super camera.

I still use my 5D1 as a walkabout camera ( and I love the slightly different picture is gives) which as 13mp is good to A4 prints
                ef-r

Comment

Working...
                X