Getting time to make a decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting time to make a decision

Thanks guys :) Had a look at the review Steve & yep, you're right, shows the difference. Think the 6d is looking like the one ;)
    Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

You should note that the 6D has got approx £300 extra already built in- i.e Wi-fi and GPS, where this would be an extra accessory to buy with the 5D mk3. Also if you are only using the centre focussing point- most times, (as I presume,many people do) then the 63 focus points on the5D becomes rather superfluous to one's needs unless one is in the habit of machine gunning images,using RAw,with the intention to correct when processing. The low light capabilities of the 6D is far superior to the 5D. There is also a good article in this month's EOS magainze comparing the 6D and the 5Dmk3. In the end I am sure you will not be disappointed with either the 6D or the 5D mk3.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
        The low light capabilities of the 6D is far superior to the 5D.
        I think we need to be careful on how strongly this case is made. The 6D does indeed have great low light capabilities, but to say 'far superior' may be going too far.
        My 5D Mark III has performed well in low light in situations where my friend has been using his 6D, maybe he has the edge but it's certainly not chalk and cheese performance.

It seems to me that the more people who mention this difference the greater the difference becomes!
        Andy

Comment

The choice between 6D and 5D isn't going to be an easy one as both seem to have strengths in different areas.

Ultimate low light capability isn't really too much of an issue for me but AF performance is more of a consideration.

Only reason 5D has become a possible for me is some unexpected cash and I'm sure the 6D would have been just as welcome in my camera bag.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I don't think the 6D has far superior low light capability. It certainly can AF in darker scenes better. However, I'd question why anyone needed to AF in scenes that our eyes have difficultly seeing in. The 6D GPS function has been causing folk problems. It stays on when activated and totally drains the battery if you don't remember to turn it off. The wifi is a great function though albeit a bit temperamental at times on Android devices.

My personal decision to go with the 5D3 was because I needed an all rounder. I feel I got several cameras with my choice. A wildlife shooter with great AF for tracking, it's great for moving people and I can pan cyclists all day long with no bother. I also needed a lighter body for hiking and one that could take a small rain shower if I was caught out. The 5D3 was a complete camera with IQ to blow your socks off with the right lenses.
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

I think it was ColinC (?) who quoted an old Chinese proverb many moons ago. It's the person using the camera that makes more difference than the technologically differences between two competitive cameras.

Anyway enjoy the 5D3 ;-)

Comment

@ Nathaniel - Thanks, hadn't got round to reading the latest issue yet so will have a look at the 6D article.

@ Paul - I'm sure either camera will be a massive improvement on my 40D's low light performance so I'd be happy with either. Although I could stretch to the 5D, I think the 6D does all I need. I do particulary like the GPS function & I don't think turning it off or removing the battery at the end of the day will be too much hassle although I'd agree, it should go off when the camera is turned off. I use an Android phone so would have to how the wifi fares but at least it's there.

Thanks for the input chaps :)
                Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

I have a Panansonic compact with GPS and its a very useful feature but does hurt battery life.

Turning it off does help of course but then when you turn back on it can take time to find location again which can be inconvenient if you want to record location on an image and move on fairly quickly.

As I said 6D would have been my choice if extra funds hadn't been available and as Paul has pointed out the AF performance of the 5D is very good so for some of the photography I like to do (hopefully more of once I retire in a couple of months) its probably a better choice overall.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                    I think it was ColinC (?) who quoted an old Chinese proverb many moons ago. It's the person using the camera that makes more difference than the technologically differences between two competitive cameras.

Anyway enjoy the 5D3 ;-)
                    Indeed, all things being equal the right kit will may help you take better images easier but if you haven't a clue then even the best kit won't help.

Comment

There is a a lot of 6D owners on the POTN forum who have totally debunked the theory that the 6D can't be a wildlife of sports camera showing examples of varying styles. I don't doubt in the right hands any camera is capable of great things coupled with a great lens and bags of experience. However, my whole buying style strays into the "what if" scenario and I just buy what I know I'll wish I had to save me the hassle later lol
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

The 6D's sensor is somewhat better in low light than the 5DmkIII, however it is quite a bit better for pattern noise, so it will appear better when pushing shadows than the numbers strictly show. (The numbers being 13% more electron capacity and 33% less read noise.) It's not a night and day thing, just a little bit better. You also get more dynamic range at higher ISOs with the 6D, which can be handy.

For the curious Roger Clark wrote a good article on the 6D pattern noise (and sensor performance generally):

Ah, he/s also done the 5DmkIII:

Although I didn't use his numbers above but DXO measurements.

Sorry if that's all a bit complicated. I did say "6D a bit better" though...
                        (If you do a lot of low-light stuff it is worth having a 6D IMHO, although the AF and burst rate would put me off for what I'd want to do with a newer FF camera.)

John
                        Last edited by DrJon; 13-06-2014, 10:21.

Comment

Working...
                        X