OK I've decided

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK I've decided

After much deliberation and with some of the comments from others on here I've finally made a decision.

So my shopping list:

5D3 was going to be 6D but like some have said might have wondered what if....
    300L F4
    1.4TC

At the moment think this is good fit for my needs. If ever I need extra reach then the 300 can go on my 60D but plan is really to use the 60D mainly for landscape work and 5D3 for wild like etc.

Run this past my finance officer (SWMBO) and its been approved. So after my trip to Stonehenge next week I'll start looking.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Re: OK I've decided

Sounds good, look forward to seeing images from your new purchase.
    Andy

Comment

Not waiting for the 7dmkii ,it looks imminent ?

Comment

Good point but timing might be wrong and as always there is hefty premium for early adopters.

Need to buy the kit July/end August so I will keep watch just in case.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

"So after my trip", and "next week I'll start looking"?!?! I admire your restraint

Once capital-approval has been granted I have to strike immediately, lest something comes-up which causes a retraction

A good decision though, the 6D is good, but the 5D is better and there's no sense in investing twice unnecessarily.
          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
            Once capital-approval has been granted I have to strike immediately, lest something comes-up which causes a retraction.
            ^^ this made me laugh.

Do it now or you might have a new sofa instead!
            Using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm the same. Once I make up my mind I strike while the iron is hot. Great decision. 6D is perfectly capable with the IQ. 5D3 just feels like a 7D with superb IQ, and once you see all those 61 points dancing about you'll be like a fighter pilot locking onto your subjects. Although I felt the 1D3 AF system just a bit quicker to react.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Yep I think getting use to the AF is going to be one of the big learning steps along with the plethora of options!

Reason for restraint is don't want to be away on holiday when it arrives. Only a couple of weeks delay and got new car to pick up on Saturday so enough excitement for an old so and so.

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
                  "So after my trip", and "next week I'll start looking"?!?! I admire your restraint

Once capital-approval has been granted I have to strike immediately, lest something comes-up which causes a retraction

A good decision though, the 6D is good, but the 5D is better and there's no sense in investing twice unnecessarily.
                  Its a done deal, 1K from better half towards purchase for my 60th and rest from unexpected valuation of my written off car, about 2-2.5K more than I'd expected.

Comment

Free battery grip on the 5D3 at the moment. Get your order in tomorrow! SOLD!

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                      After much deliberation and with some of the comments from others on here I've finally made a decision. So my shopping list:
                      5D3 was going to be 6D but like some have said might have wondered what if....300L F41.4TC
                      At the moment think this is good fit for my needs. If ever I need extra reach then the 300 can go on my 60D but plan is really to use the 60D mainly for landscape work and 5D3 for wild like etc.
                      Not questioning your choices, but your applications look backward to me. It seems like most wildlife shooters I know prefer the crop sensor camera for its 1.6x advantage, while landscapes would benefit from the full frame, low noise of the 5D3. At least that's the way the wildlife and landscape shooter in my house (my wife) does it. She uses her 7D+500mmF4+1.4xII for birds and things, and then she uses her 5D2 and either the 24-105, the 14mm, or sometimes a longer lens for landscapes. Your comment "If ever I need the extra reach..." reminds me of the bird people I hang around with my wife. Fact is, for wildlife and especially birds, you always need a longer lens than you have.

Of course, once you've got the gear, you have choices as to how to use it, don't you? The key is to get the gear!

As to me personally, I'll shoot anything that fits in my SL1/100D "baby rebel" and Tamron 16-300 lens.
                      Last edited by bowserb; 21-06-2014, 01:30.
                      Bill
                      "If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

Comment

I cannot fault with Bowserb's comments. I am thinking on those lines as well.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by bowserb View Post
                          It seems like most wildlife shooters I know prefer the crop sensor camera for its 1.6x advantage, while landscapes would benefit from the full frame, low noise of the 5D3.
                          Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                          I cannot fault with Bowserb's comments. I am thinking on those lines as well.
                          There have been plenty of posts on this. I think the 1.6 crop factor gives a visual advantage, but if you crop the image on a full frame then the consensus seems to be that the end result is the same.
                          For me going from the 70D to the 5D Mark III initially the loss of the crop factor was visually an issue, but the final image results have generally been at least as good if not better.
                          Andy
                          Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

I understand all these comments about crop v full frame but in my experience if you can get nearer to your subject it is better than the next lens up

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                              There have been plenty of posts on this. I think the 1.6 crop factor gives a visual advantage, but if you crop the image on a full frame then the consensus seems to be that the end result is the same.
                              For me going from the 70D to the 5D Mark III initially the loss of the crop factor was visually an issue, but the final image results have generally been at least as good if not better.
                              I tested this using a 5D Mark III and 50D, both with a 70-300mm lens attached. It really isn't an effective focal length, it's simply the same image as would be achieved from a crop.
                              My Camera Bag: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Mark II, Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, Canon 400mm f/5.6L USM
                              My Software: Windows 8.1 Update, Lightroom 5, Photoshop CC, Photomatix Pro

My Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X