Repair or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair or replace?

I have my trusty 1d mk2 but the other day i was starting to consider what if it packs up? as it surely must at some point, so i`m thinking what if i just have it repaired as it would (i assume) just be the shutter that fails ,what sort of cost? and any reason you can think of why not, many thanks Harvey

Re: Repair or replace?

As the 1D series is now 3 steps further along than the Mk2 it may not be supported by Canon, so spare parts may be an issue. Suggest you contact one of the main Canon repairers, or Canon at Elstree, to determine the position. You may find then that you don't have an option - hope it is not that bad.

David

Comment

Originally posted by CountDavid View Post
      As the 1D series is now 3 steps further along than the Mk2 it may not be supported by Canon, so spare parts may be an issue. Suggest you contact one of the main Canon repairers, or Canon at Elstree, to determine the position. You may find then that you don't have an option - hope it is not that bad.

David
      Fingers crossed eh Harvey.
      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by wayne2418 View Post
        Fingers crossed eh Harvey.
        I think you may need to pull the finger out rather than cross it. I have just picked up a notice from Canon to its professional users that as from 1st July 2014 the 1D2N will not be supported under their programme.
        This does not necessarily mean they no longer have any spares but the priority service Canon give some of its professional users will exclude the 1D2N.

David

Comment

Is it worthwhile enquiring about a service / sensor replacement now then - would that not then come with an element of warranty afterwards on the sensor for you...or bite the bullet and consider a replacement.
          Andy
          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
          [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies, at the risk of tempting fate it`s acting fine but a replacement would probably be a long term idea what do you recomend? budget around £450.00 so second hand it will be,Harvey

Comment

I too am a Mk II user Harvey, and before I bought mine S/H last year I enquired about a new shutter unit if it failed. I think the current price for a new shutter is about £300. This is now just a little cheaper than buying another used Mk II on flea-bay!
              An amazing camera though, and if mine became uneconomic to repair in the future, I'd buy another one in a heart-beat :)
              1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies, at the risk of tempting fate it`s acting fine but a replacement would probably be a long term idea what do you recomend? budget around £450.00 so second hand it will be,Harvey

Comment

Here's an alternative viewpoint. Stop worrying about something that may or may not happen and enjoy your camera.

If/when it does pack up, worry about it then. Digital cameras are commodities. A bit like your home PC, if its getting on a bit and it packs up, you will probably just dump it and buy a new one. The cost of the item is the price you have to pay for X years of use.

Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Thanks Mightyquin, good point but i`ve been able to up my budget to £600.00 so another camera looks a better option

Comment

Have you forgotten the saying "never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you"?. Enjoy your camera and invest your increased budget until you really have to replace your camera. There are so many 350D's still going strong with many members and members are still reluctant to replace it.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Mightyquin View Post
                        Here's an alternative viewpoint. Stop worrying about something that may or may not happen and enjoy your camera.

If/when it does pack up, worry about it then. Digital cameras are commodities. A bit like your home PC, if its getting on a bit and it packs up, you will probably just dump it and buy a new one. The cost of the item is the price you have to pay for X years of use.

Don't worry, be happy!
                        I agree! :) If you have some money available now, put some aside just in case the old brick gives up the ghost, and buy a new body/repair it when the time comes. Then spend the rest on travel to a new destination to enthuse your photography, or a new piece of glass. Life's too short to worry :)
                        1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

Does anyone know the cost of new shutter?

Comment

I'm sure that I read on other forums replacement shutters are circa £3-500 fitted. Obviously the cost has to take into account the labour in dimantling, fixing, checking the camera and usually includes a basic service and some additional warranty.

Clearly the point is reached where it is uneconomical to repair a digital camera due to shutter failure.
                            Last edited by Mightyquin; 08-07-2014, 12:09.

Comment

Working...
                            X