70d ef or ef-s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70d ef or ef-s

I`m a little bit confused, in my search for a new camera i`ve looked at the 70d and it says ef/ef-s all my present lens are ef and obviously want to buy something to fit them i assumed it had to by one or the other to fit ???

Re: 70d ef or ef-s

The 70D is a crop sensor, and as such can use either EF-S or EF lenses.
    EF-S lenses tend to be a bit cheaper and will only work on crop sensor Canon DSLR's.
    EF lenses tend to be a bit more expensive and have better optics, these will work on crop or full frame DSLR's.

Dont get me wrong, some EF-S lenses are very good and give superb results.
    Your choices of lens might be defined by whether in the future you felt you'd upgrade to full frame.
    But if buying as new the kit lens choices for a 70D will be EF-S, but will definitely be a good starting point.
    Andy

Comment

Whether you buy the 70D (a crop camera) which will take EF and EF-S lenses or another crop camera like the 60D,650D or 700D, you may like to think of buying EF lenses so that if you ever decide to go full frame, all your EF lenses will nicely FIT without any problem. I followed this route for some time and when I finally bought the 6D a FF camera, all my EF lenses were a good fit.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

All your EF lenses will fit the 70D.
        The 70D has a APS-C sensor as opposed to a full-frame sensor.
        The APS-C cameras are often called crop sensor or crop cameras.
        The APS-C range of cameras (70D, 700D, 1100D etc.) will take EF-S lenses as well as EF lenses, full-frame cameras can only use EF lenses.
        When using an APS-C camera with EF lenses then the reduced sensor camera takes advantage of the sweet spot of the EF lens.
        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

EF-S lenses are smaller as they only cover the sensor area of the smaller crop sensor. There are a few pretty nice ones (10-22, 15-85, 17-55 f2.8).
          You can't use them on a full-frame camera if you ever change to one, you'd have to sell them or trade them in.
          You can use EF lenses on a crop camera, they just light up the area around the sensor that a FF sensor would also cover.
          One issue with using EF lenses on crop cameras is they don't do wide-angle all that well. The lenses are also larger/heavier than they need to be.
          I wouldn't say EF lenses are inherently better than EF-S, a number really aren't, others are.

Comment

Working...
          X