Jargon or am I thick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jargon or am I thick

This is going to be a long drawn out question so please bear with me, I know my 70D is a crop camera but I'm struggling with some of the technical side of things, this morning I was photographing a roe doe and her fawn but found I couldn't get the close up shot I really want, the only time I could get anything like a close up image was to have the live view LCD switched on and press the + magnifying button but as soon as I took the shot even with my 100-400mm L lens fitted and at full zoom it was still a distant shot, maybe I haven't got far enough into my book to explain this subject, has the jargon got me or am I just plain thick, can someone help me please in easy steps, thanks.

Sean.

Re: Jargon or am I thick

Its unlikely to be the camera that is stopping the reach Sean more the lens, have you set the zoom ring too tight as it can be adjusted and you aren't fully extending the lens as you think

Gordon

Comment

Sean, I think you'll find that all the magnify/zoom on Live View does is zoom into the image showing on the back of the camera. It isn't actually zooming the lens, it is more like when you have taken the image and are reviewing it on the back of the camera you can zoom in to check focus, but this doesn't affect what has already been captured.
      Some 'point and shoot' cameras (like mine) have an 'optical zoom' then a 'digital zoom'. What this means is that you can zoom as far as the optics allow, but then you can apparently keep zooming, but you aren't you are just cropping into the max zoomed image. But your 70D won't do this, the closest you can get is with your 100-400 set at 400.
      In post processing, you can crop in to give a larger image, but you'll steadily lose image quality.
      Hope that helps.
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

as with the above comments ,all creatures have a circle of trust ,you have to learn how to get inside that to get the close up pics that some of us get ,if you posted one of todays shots better advice re what to do to improve it would be forthcoming i'm sure

Comment

Thanks for the advice gents, I'm embarrassed to say I thought I could get closer up images with other settings with the camera, I've just realised how much of a novice I am, I've had very little to do with the processing side of photography as I'm usually happy with my results once loaded onto my pc and haven't found the need to do much in the way of altering anything, I think I need to ask some more questions, and get myself a hide so I can get closer to the animals, thanks again.

Sean.

Comment

A hide is a great idea Sean. Nothing beats getting in closer.
            [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

I'm gonna buy a two person hide from the outdoor photographic gear company, I need a two person hide as my misses may come along sometimes plus I need space to stand up due to a back injure I sustained some years ago, a day in one of the low hides and I'll not be able move for a week lol.

Sean.

Comment

[ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Working...
                X