Cheapy upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheapy upgrade

My 50d has arrived, had a quick play and I'm really pleased with it. Low mileage and very clean, Wex do seem to be very conservative with their condition ratings. I've had a 350d since first release and learnt a lot since but felt the need for something faster recently. I'd love a 70d, but other commitments mean I can't justify more than twice the cost for the additional benefits. Hopefully the 50d will be a decent interim purchase for a couple of years at least when I can reevaluate. A few test shots appear to confirm my suspicion that the 350 was the primary cause of focus inaccuracies I was experiencing since moving to a better quality lens. The extra usable iso headroom should help too. Can't wait to try it out properly.
    Paul

Re: Cheapy upgrade

Congrats on you new toy
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

a good choice. Do post your pictures.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

a extremely good camera ,i got some great shots with mine when i had it ,and if anything i personally think the spec exceeds the 60d which superceded it .i got some fab buzzard in flight shots with mine ,just don't push the iso to far around 1600 iso is where the noise becomes noticeable

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
          a good choice. Do post your pictures.
          yeah get some up - congrats on the purchase
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

just don't push the iso to far around 1600 iso is where the noise becomes noticeable
            thats why i only kept mine for less than a year but the noise was unacceptable above ISO 400

Stan
            Last edited by Stan; 07-10-2014, 21:07.
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

I agree with Stan
              I have also found ISO400 to be the practical limit for my 50D to keep noise levels low and I eventually upgraded for wildlife shots
              It's still a great camera for good light conditions, portraits etc
              I hope you enjoy the new toy
              Cheers
              Dave

Comment

I am sure the 50D will do your proud seeing how well Paulr5604 is doing with his 40D. It all boils down to the photographer. Know the limits of your camera and shoot within it's limits.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Hope I'm not disappointed on the noise side then. The practical limit for the 350 was 800 and I was hoping to gain a stop. I think regardless it's a lot of camera for the money though. It feels great in the hand, although I have very big hands so it'll be getting a grip.
                  Paul

Comment

seeing how well Paulr5604 is doing with his 40D
                    I still have one as a back up

Stan
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

I upgraded from a 350 to the 50D so know you'll see an improvement. It has it limits compared to the latest kit but as you said it's down to priorities! Enjoy and post some results.
                      Andrew

Comment

I still have my 50D as back up and use it regularly still for general shots / family etc Chris
                        The ISO400 limit is very safe advice - I have some very nice shots at ISO1000 so explore the boundaries for w hat you shoot and then as Nat says it down to the guy behind the camera
                        Dave

Comment

I think a good camera guide book will help you to get the most out of your camera. It will also tell you/advise you about the maximum ISO to use, without flash.I alway get a guide book esp by David Taylor for the models I have got. Only very recently,in church, I took some pics with the 100D without flash and pushed the ISO to approx 12,000,(although the guide book said something like 6400 as the max ISO to use before resorting to flash) and sure enough the photos were rubbish as it showed so much noise.
                          Last edited by Nathaniel; 07-10-2014, 23:06.

Comment

I think a model specific book is a great idea and will look at what's available. I mainly shoot dog related photos, usually fast moving action. I've always left my kit in the bag unless the light was at least half reasonable but have been pushing myself to find alternative techniques. The addition of a 2.8 lens helped, and I found I could get away with using 800 iso on the 350 but 1600 was awful. We are moving into the winter season with our flyball, which brings another level of complexity as the racing shifts indoors.
                            Paul

Comment

Look forward to seeing some photos soon then.
                              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                              Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X