Canon 100D- bit too small

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 100D- bit too small

This might seem a bit strange coming from me. I love the light weight 100D as a second DSLR for mainly wild life pics- saves me cropping too much. The only disadvantage I find is that because it is small, I find it difficult for my standard hands ,to grip it properly. I have tried one of the half cases for the camera sold via Ebay but I find that it was uncomfortable to grip. I am therefore wondering whether I should get one of those "armours" for camera bodies which will give me a wee bit more bulk.

(I might mention that I also have a G15 and I got a camera case for it to give me a better grip. It is now one of my best purchases).

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Thank you.

Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Canon 100D- bit too small

Nat if you are finding the 100d a bit too small why not try a third party battery grip which would increasethe weight a little but should make the camera a bit easier to handle
    Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Thanks Alex. A good idea which I will certainly explore. I shoiuld have mentioned that it is only when I use the longer lens 70-200mm+1.4TC that the grip problem arises.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Nat,

Would something like a Grip-Strap help you stablise your grip on the camera- this one seems to support around the wrist etc

In the video of all their products - it features this about 1 min 10 secs in so you can see how it attaches around.
        Andy
        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
        EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
        [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Thanks Andy. I think what I really require is a case of some sorts that would,in short,make the camera a bit bigger, than what it is at the moment.-like a camera case. The present small size has it's advantages esp when I am just using a standard lens like the 40mm or a short zoom. I can also carry two two camera bodies in my holdall i.e the 6D & the 100D, which says much after all my complaints about weight. But it is only when I am shooting with a longer lens like the 70-200mm +1.4 TC that I wish that the 100D's body was a bit bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
            I can also carry two two camera bodies in my holdall i.e the 6D & the 100D, which says much after all my complaints about weight. But it is only when I am shooting with a longer lens like the 70-200mm +1.4 TC that I wish that the 100D's body was a bit bigger.
            Sorry Nathaniel, I respect your normally well judged and intelligent opinions but I have to take issue with what you're saying about the 100D. I think you're missing the point.

From my perspective the whole reason the 100D was developed was to be small and light. For anyone who wants a good quality carry-everywhere camera, a lightweight travelling companion, or like me a DSLR to carry while hillwalking it's perfect. Plue there is now a good range of STM motor EF-S lenses similarly light & compact to go with it which in my experience work well and balance well. In addition it's a perfect backup or adjunct for a full-frame body.

Adding a grip or artificially making it larger is akin to buying a fast car then filling the boot with bricks because it goes too fast!

I can understand exactly why you want to use a crop sensor camera with your L series lenses but perhaps with 100% hindsight a better choice of body for you would have been a 700D, 70D or even a 7D...

Please don't encourage Canon to make the 100D's successor any larger or heavier.

Any other views on this?

Martin

Comment

Martin, I take your point. However,like some people, who cover their cars,parked on their drive, with a plastic cover when frost is about;they don't drive out with the plastic cover on. I am only looking for a temporary solution when I am using a longer lens on the 100D. I would like to have a better grip on the 100D body when using the 70-200mm lens +1.4 TC. It is similar to my using my compact G15 with a carry case to give me a better grip, but which is removed when I am travelling abroad- when the case is removed and the camera goes inside my jacket/coat pocket. This is a personal thing and that is all. I did consider the 40D,50D ,700D & 70D but I did not want another camera as "large" as my 6D. I am very happy with my choice of 100D- make no mistake about it, but for the one off situation when using a longer lens, I'd personally prefer a better grip- like a case or battery grip which can be removed when not necessary.
              Last edited by Nathaniel; 10-10-2014, 10:38.

Comment

I reckon you are experiencing what I had with the 70-200 2.8 on my 600D at the time. The back of my right hands and right down my wrist suffered from severe torsion stress and fatigue to the point where it was too hard to just hold normally. Pinky was overloaded trying to stabilize the body.

I think in fairness to your self, the camera is too small. I held it in Jessops and it was put down straight away cause that pain just immediately came back in my hand. Don't do long term damage to save a little weight. I don't know what the solution for you is because you do mention weight as a serious concern. These things rarely get lighter with every new release as more stuff gets added. Maybe a monopod would help rest your hands a bit I don't know.
                Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                www.campsie.photography

Comment

As you mention Paul, it is a question of balance with a long lens. Not to worry, as I am sure I will find a solution. I remember a member mentioning( via private e-mail) this "balance" problem with his 100D + long lens. He enjoys walking and leads some members on his "walks"; he finds the 100D invaluable with a medium/small lens.

Weight has been a problem with me for some time after my stroke, and had I continued with all my previous kit, I would have given up photography altogether. However, by careful thought and rationalising,I have slowly changed the kit I had before to what I have now.
                  Last edited by Nathaniel; 10-10-2014, 10:44.

Comment

This is what I found when, after so many here had raved about them, I got my hands on an EOS-M - far too front heavy with anything bigger than a pancake lens attached.

Nat, if you want to regain some balance to the 100D plus large lens you could add weight to it maybe by screwing a lead weight to the tripod mount.

Or, as Paul suggested, use a monopod but with one of these attached to rest the lens on: http://www.7dayshop.com/camera-tripo...lephoto-lenses

To simply enanble a better grip then some fingerless grip-gloves may be the solution.

Cheers,
                    John

Comment

Thanks John. Glad you and Paulstw understand my problem. I have some good alternatives to think about with all these suggestions coming along. As I don't wish to rush into things, what I finally decide on will be with me as the real solution- so I will try out a battery grip,fingerless gloves, monopod etc and then I will know what I want.

Comment

The problem is Nat, as Paul has alluded to, is torque. And before I continue, let me begin by saying I'm NOT a mechanical engineer! :)
                        If you put a long/heavy lens on the front of a lightweight body, and then try and balance that weight by holding it 'at length' by holding the body, it will actually impose a torque force at the fulcrum, i.e. Your hands. That's why it is so uncomfortable to hold and use. Any mechanical engineers out there, feel free to correct me!?
                        That's why, when you use the longer/heavier lens combinations, unless you use a tripod, it is far easier to use these on a heavier body. For example, and counter-intuitively, using my 70-200 feels more natural and more manageable on my 1D than on my 5D.
                        I tend to agree with Martin, that if you use the 70-200/1.4x combo a lot, that you would have been better with a 650/700 with battery grip. Otherwise, use a tripod.
                        1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

Surely using a longer lens you'd have one hand on the camera and one on the lens - particularly if it's a zoom? That would minimise the torque.

My wife uses a 100D with Sigma 18-200 or Canon 70-300 and has no problems that I know of. Is it just the big heavy lenses and technique that cause the problem?
                          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

All my support weight now is on the lens hand and virtually none is used holding the body. Much like the way I play guitar now, none of the weight on the next, all held in place by my body. Whereas at the start I'd grip the camera with a death grip so I didn't drop it. Guitar was held up by my left hand making it hard to play lol
                            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                            www.campsie.photography

Comment

I found that with a longer lens I am stable and my hands don't suffer if I put the heel of my thumb on the base of the body, and extend my fingers to support the lens, resting between the zoom and focus rings. Obviously it would depend on the lens and your hands, but I certainly wouldn't be trying to support a long lens by holding the body.
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X