Thinking about the dark side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about the dark side

Due to me trying to maximise my photographic output against maxing out my credit card or business expenses I have pretty much reserved myself to the fact that I can't afford to buy anymore kit. I can't afford to upgrade my current lenses to 2.8 or sell anything then buy in better and put money towards it.

One person said that his Nikon gear didn't cost him too much and he gets the same results.

I started looking into it, and found on MPB Photographic a D700 for £499 used. Yes you read that right. £499. I quickly did a quick DXo Mark comparison between that and my 5D Mark III and I was astonished to see little difference between the two.

dxo.JPG

I paid £1650 for my 5D3. According to these results, I really haven't paid for much in innovation. Plus the D700 is 8fps.

I don't know, but it's not looking too healthy in my eyes. I could get two D700's with change left over. Just mental.

Anyone else feel robbed?

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Thinking about the dark side

I bought a 5D a couple of months ago and TBH I'm very pleased with my purchase and even if I could return and get a full refund and swap to Nikon I wouldn't as I prefer Canon and the way the camera feels in my hand
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I think this thread should more properly have been entered in here...

Nikonians is the Nikon community with expert forums, articles, galleries, news, contests and more.

All together now....

The other man's grass is always greener!

Comment

Ahem, I noted this "This item is sold as seen for spares or repair. Please read the description in full before purchasing. Spares and repairs items do not come with a warranty but do represent potentially excellent value. All faults or issues are fully described."

This may be representative - used D700 but it's £829 not £499...
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

They have a few others on there starting at £569. I did notice the S-R thing but the used prices between £569 - £900 is not bad.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

I know where you're coming from Paul, when i started to take my photography a little more seriously i looked at all the systems at the time and obviously it came down to Nikon or Canon and what lenses were available and most importantly the price of each system.At that time Canon won hands down cheaper Cameras cheaper lenses and a much bigger second hand selection of goodies to choose from so I've built my needs around that basis to good effect

That is up until 2/3 maybe even 4 years ago when Canon prices have just gone through the roof and the prices they expect us to pay is ridiculous they think they can double or triple the price of lenses just because they stick IS on the packet lets see how much the new 100-400IS f5.6 is when they release it i dread to think.

Pressing the shutter button on your camera whether it says Canon or Nikon won't take a better picture i just feel Canon must think we all have very very deep pockets.

Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

From what I can gather, Canon seem to be a little behind on their innovation for sensor tech. It's widely complained about, however, I didn't realise that comparison would open my eyes to it more.

It's all about learning a new format and all that, but most of the sports and press shooters I've seen recently have been Nikon shooters. I started to wonder why. Don't get me wrong, a new D4S is more expensive than a 1Dx and if I had the money I know what i'd buy.

Better the devil you know and all that. It just makes you wonder what you're actually paying for.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Paul, it is only when the mind wanders that the devil plays his trump card- jump ship. I am quite sure you are using an excellent camera -the 5Dmk3 and if you are after speed and all that consider the new 7Dmk2. I looked at Nikon when I wanted to change from Pentax, my faithful friend for very many years,and decided on Canon and I am quite happy with the models they bring out. It also needs one to look at the amazing photos posted by our James,using Canon equipment, winning international prizes- not just club or national prizes and IMHO one should learn to understand and use the Canon equipment "better"! I mustn't forget also,members like David Stallard, Stan, Les and others. I am sure that David competes with other press photographers for his motor racing pictures.
                Last edited by Nathaniel; 14-10-2014, 14:42.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

From my experience with the news stuff I've got to the point now that I need a two body set up. A full frame body with a wide angle on it, and a faster body with my 70-200 on it.

The faster body with 70-200 will be the workhorse for press and football games. The wide angle body will be there to compliment my faster body at press events and weddings.

I have been contracted to StockPix recently. Signed contract went in this week *claps* and this is a big thing. It's proper sent to paid jobs, and I didn't even think I'd get into it, however, they asked so I couldn't let it go. It's thrown me into a spin though. I know the de-facto standard for a photojourno is the config I explained above, but I can't afford to buy a second body. The 5D3 is too slow for the sports, but perfect for everything else. The 7D2 looks great but it's well above my budget.

I need to upgrade my 70-200 to a 2.8 and really now that the opportunities are landing on my doorstep I feel under equipped.

I know how to use my stuff. I don't have any special relationship with my gear it's just overpriced tools to me. When they don't work for what I'm doing I switch.

I need to write to CF and SD cards to provide a strong backup strategy during the football games. It's in the contract and I lately realised that the fact that I write jpg to sd and RAW to CF in fact slows my camera down and fills the buffer faster. This has a serious effect on how I approach the sports and causes me to miss action. It's a bit of a let down really. I have since changed this to JPG S2 so we'll see how that works this weekend.

I could use faster CF cards but apparently this will always happen. Not such an issue on the 7D2 as the SD card slot is a UHS-1 slot.

Seeing that my sports agency boss uses two D700's one with a 70-200 and the other with a 300 2.8 with TC, I thought, well they can't be that bad.

Just a thought really. Get cheaper kit and have more, or stay with what I have and slug away.
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

Used gear is incredible value, and you can get so much more for your money than paying full RRP for the latest and greatest.
                    I have no experience in this field, but from what I have seen the two-body set up with the 16-35/24-70 on one, and the 70-200 on the other seems pretty standard/requisite.
                    I've heard the D700 is an incredible body. Probably a good time to sell the 5D3 whilst it's still worth something?
                    1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

Being blunt, I can't see how switching to Nikon would be any less expensive than upgrading your Canon kit. I did some second-hand pricing at WEX and was up to the thick end of £5,000 for two D700s, an f2.8 70-200 and a similar wide-angle zoom...
                      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

But as a p.s. how about a 1Ds II? 16MPX, full frame, two slots, only does 4fps but stick your short zoom on it and it may tide you over until you've earned/saved enough to get a second 5D or 7D mk II...

Comment

Andy I think you've offered a very good solution there. You could well have saved me from making a grave mistake.
                          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Excellent. I'd hate to see you over on the dark side

And besides, as Scott Kelby puts it, with a 1D style body you won't get bullied by the other Pros.

Comment

Just be aware that the 1Ds II will feel like a true dinosaur compared to the 5D3.
                              Yes, it's 'fast' and quick to respond just like any other 1D, but it's Achilles Heal is the buffer. You've only got 11 RAW files before you get the 'busy' message, and it seems to take a while to clear them too, no matter how fast your memory card.
                              Also, watch out for the batteries, and make sure you get a genuine Canon Ni-MH (Yep!) with it. Third party ones are absolutely pants, and if you need a new Canon one, they're £130.
                              But you forgive it all when you review the images. The noise at high ISOs is very 'film-like' and it produces beautiful images.
                              For me, it's a keeper :)
                              1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

Working...
                              X