Slow acting shutter button 50d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow acting shutter button 50d

I am experiencing a slow action to release the shutter on my 50d . The handbook warns about half pressing folled by full pressure can record a momentary delay , but the issue is much worse than that . It is necessary to hold down the button and wait for shutter release. This happens not every time but frequently enough to be more than a problem , so much in fact that today I stopped using the camera completely when out on a shoot, and reverted to my trusty 40d.
    Has anyone experienced similar problems ? if so is it fixable or is the 50d going to end up as skip fodder.

Re: Slow acting shutter button 50d

it sounds like a possible build up of gunge on the shutter button ,electrical contact cleaner (maplins) may cure it if its that bad .but only a small amount .

but you do actually have the option of using your back A/F on button for focus and firing ,so all is not lost .other than that a service by canon is the answer ,probably around £80-to £100

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
      it sounds like a possible build up of gunge on the shutter button ,electrical contact cleaner (maplins) may cure it if its that bad .but only a small amount .

but you do actually have the option of using your back A/F on button for focus and firing ,so all is not lost .other than that a service by canon is the answer ,probably around £80-to £100
      Thanks for response . The Time from pressing the button to the actual firing is the problem . This would make me think of something more than just a matter of initial electrical contact. I have tried a different battery , even though the first one was fully charged, and used a different lens . Both lenses autofocus on the half-way button fine.

Comment

try setting up the back button a/f do a google for the right settings to use ,and see if that makes a difference .if it does its mechanical if not its back to canon

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
          try setting up the back button a/f do a google for the right settings to use ,and see if that makes a difference .if it does its mechanical if not its back to canon
          Thanks . Ok, now I have tried back button focus (never used this function before). Makes no difference to delay in shutter firing. I know what to do now !. The skip probably, unless a chat with Canon and my local repairer, proves to yield an economically viable repair/service.
          Last edited by hectorpaljr; 19-10-2014, 21:01.

Comment

Before you bin it, are you sure it is not looking for focus lock first?
            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
              Before you bin it, are you sure it is not looking for focus lock first?
              Thanks , I'm pretty sure that this is not so; why would it only happen today? I shoot as one-shot and shutter-speed priority.

Comment

Just to be completely sure you could put the lens on AF mode and see if it still happens. That would remove any AF delay from the equation.
                EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                  Just to be completely sure you could put the lens on AF mode and see if it still happens. That would remove any AF delay from the equation.
                  Sorry, that should be "put the lens on MF mode". Apologies for any confusion.
                  EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

i would also put it into AI servo as well ,and also a/v mode .it really does sound like settings related if both triggers are playing up .best to check it out yourself before binning it

Comment

Update
                      Thanks for all suggestions. Have today refitted replacement battery, checked all settings, ie:as advised and a few others. Now reset to my preferred mode.
                      Camera shutter button performed ok under extreme test except that on odd occasion today I had error message ERR30. (shutter related !) - This can be cleared by switching off and on again. Also checked number of actuations 18,000. Spoke to Canon Uk and the agent advised service. Any subsequent repair, if required, would likely be uneconomic in my opinion.
                      Decision is now mine.
                      Last edited by hectorpaljr; 20-10-2014, 12:10.

Comment

Had a similar experience with the 50D - helped for a while by running some cleaner (Isopropyl alcohol - can find how to do it via Google) through the switch but not a permanent cure. Canon advised change of shutter button assembly but the cost was high - didn't think it economic.
                        If you have a remote control you can check if it is the shutter button at fault by using the remote - mine still works perfectly well when triggered that way so it is seeing out it's days on a copying stand being fired by the remote cable plugged into the socket on the side.
                        Other forums indicate that this fault is not uncommon on the 50D.
                        Cheers, Chris.
                        Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Working...
                        X