Canon 6D discontinued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon 6D discontinued?

Having handled one a couple of months back I can agree it's a cracking bit of kit but for me it's limitations are, well it's limitations.

For me the AF is the killer, only 11 points and none of the expansion/point modes available on the 7D make it unusable for my primary use which is wildlife, though mainly birds. If Canon had stuck the 7D's AF in it and sold it for the same price, it may have been a different matter but with the AF it has, not for me. That doesn't say it's a bad camera, quite the opposite, just not one for me.

As an aside, Nikon seem more able/willing to put a decent AF in all of their cameras - look at he 600/610, 750, 800 etc. and they all have more AF points and what looks to be more high-performance AF modes. Although how on earth they can call the D750 an enthusiasts camera and not have a dedicated button for BBF is beyond me. But back to the 6D, I think Canon dropped the ball on this one in their enthusiasm to avoid eating into sales of the 5D mk III.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Regardless of whether it's real or not. "The Internet" seems to have opened up the wounds on why they thought it was limited in certain ways too. The usual bloggers jumping on it using this one amazing thing as clickbait to get people on their site. There is definitely scope for a markII and all it takes is for parts borrowed from different bodies and it'll be a hit.

If I was Canon, I'd put the xxD line up and 6D in line with each other, and keep the 7D and 5D line on a similar track.
      I only use a camera like I use a toothbrush. It does the job - Don McCullin

Comment

There is nothing wrong with the AF of the 6D as these two pics show. Taken with the 6D + 70-200mm f4L +1.4TC

Conwy RSPB 14th April 2014 013 by nathaniel.ramanaden, on Flickr

Conwy RSPB 14th April 2014 011 by nathaniel.ramanaden, on Flickr
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

To be fair though a flying heron is quite slow and any camera can track it. Try tracking something faster and it won't be long before that centre AF point slips off the target and onto the background. A sophisticated AF has other settings on how it handles subjects when its tracking too. AI SERVO is simple, it's how clever the AF can get when things interrupt the subject, run in front or flies behind a tree.

Take the situation in sports and players all running about in front of the player you are tracking. A simple AF system like the 6D will just target the closest contrasting edge and focus, whereas a 5DmkIII AF will behave in the way the settings dictate dependant on the situation. Stick to the player and disregard obstacles and things like that.

I have to wonder why people buy expensive cameras to shoot bird in flight against clear blue skies. It's when there's birds flying about reeds or buildings. That's when a good AF system comes into it's own. Again it's about what you need it for, and there will be times where it can nail it like above, but that's a collection of the right aperture and shutter speed as much as a good grab of AF.

Comment

I take your point Canonlad but I do have got other BIF shots and there is nothing much wrong with them. I don't wish to bore the members by posting them as I have already posted some on the "nature thread"!
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

You have a good technique then :)

Comment

Originally posted by CanonLad View Post
                You have a good technique then :)
                Canonlad,

Do take a look at my pictures under "Magnificient bird cabaret 12th Aug 2014"- page 9. If you scroll through it you will see all kinds of sea birds.

Having said that the only disadvantage for me with the Canon 6D was that I had to make bigger crops to get the bird to a reasonable size unless they were flying well within the reach of my lens- like the Heron pics. Hence I bought the crop 100D, to use with the same lens combo, to save me cropping my pictures too much as it tended lose it's IQ.

Comment

I've seen all the pics Nat. The lapwings were quite cool.

Comment

Yip, one of the best EOS bodies I've used - and I've had quite a few

I'm using my 6D primarily for landscape so AF isn't so much a problem.
                    I'm using Live View and MF more and more these days.

The GPS is handy for the times I'm in the wilds and difficult to Geo-tag in Flickr etc
                    I normally only take 2 GPS shots as it eats the battery too quickly and I've learned my lesson by disabling it before packing the camera away.

I'd like to see more WiFi features added

After using the 70D & M I really miss not having the touch screen on the 6D

All-In-All one happy bunny

Mike
                    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by CanonLad View Post
                      I've seen all the pics Nat. The lapwings were quite cool.
                      I think you meant the "Oyster catchers"- on 12th August.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                        I think you meant the "Oyster catchers"- on 12th August.
                        No I meant lapwings.

Comment

Well done Canonlad. I did not think that you went to those pics as well. Thanks. Yes they too were taken with the 6D!

Comment

I've seen a lot of stuff on this forum over the last two years. ;)

Comment

Working...
                            X