Error 99 with 350D & 18-55mm kit lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error 99 with 350D & 18-55mm kit lens

Hi all I've started getting this message when trying to take a pic when the lens is set at between 18 and 24 mm. I've cleaned the contacts and this works for a while sometimes. If anyone has had as similar problem I'd be grateful for any advice.

Re: Error 99 with 350D & 18-55mm kit lens

I had this problem with the same lens once and it was caused by the aperture blades sticking. They wouldn't open up again after stopping down to take a photo. I figured out what it was because the viewfinder went dark when I got the error message. I ended up buying a new lens as it wasn't worth trying to get it fixed. That said, Error 99 is a generic error message - any number of things may cause it. But that's what was causing mine.
    Andrew
    www.eos-magazine.com

Comment

Thanks for that Andrew. I don't understand why it should only happen at certain focal lengths though. Was that the same with you?

Comment

It was a while ago that it happened but I don't recall that focal length played a part. You can tell if the aperture blades are sticking if the viewfinder goes dark when you get the error message. It means that less light is coming through the lens because the aperture blades failed to reopen after taking a photo. If your viewfinder isn't going dark, then the cause is probably something else.
        Andrew
        www.eos-magazine.com

Comment

Just checked that.Viewfinder isn't staying dark and the picture isn't actually being taken although it sounds as if it is. But it turns out the DOF preview isn't stopping down at those lengths so that may well be the problem. Once again many thanks.

Comment

Just had a similar problem yesterday with my 20D and 17-85 EFS lens !
            Working allright for a while then showed 'error 99'
            On doing some experimenting with different settings and alternative lens
            I discovered that the problem only occured on the 17 & 24 lens setting.
            It seems that the only solution is to have the lens repaired or junk it if the cost makes it unviable!
            Good job my lens is 5 years old and not an expensive one !

Comment

Working...
            X