Focus lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Focus lock

I am aware of the principles of focus lock i.e to lock the focus on a subject by placing the focus point exactly where you want to and then depress the shutter slightly to hold it steady. But I find that after I use focus lock and try to re-compose the picture,all the time keeping my finger depressed slightly on the shutter,the image is soft; it is never sharp. What am I doing wrong?
    I have read through the instruction manual, and an old EOS camera guide and still don't get it right. Any advice?
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Focus lock

Hmmm, bearing in mind that Sunday is almost upon us and it could be a number of things, how about:
    • Focus on the subjects eyes.
    • Switch lens to manual focus.
    • Re-compose for the group.
    • Take the shot.
    • Switch lens to auto for next shot and repeat steps above.

That is the failsafe plan of last resort, without re-jigging your camera for back button focus. However, try the following:
    • Set up the focus points for centre point only. It is much more sensitive, which is what you want in low light applications.
    • Ensure that your finger is keeping first pressure on the shutter button after you press focus lock - it is so easy to relax pressure slightly in the heat of the moment and as soon as you do, focus lock is lost.
    • If using flash to light the subject, check that focus assist beam is on - check the manual for the right settings.

Good luck and don't worry .......... it'll be fine.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

without re-jigging your camera for back button focus
      I don't know as all Nathaniel has to do is plant his thumb on the back button, watch the centre focus point light up forget about the shutter button, recompose the shot, then hit that shutter button with his finger.
      On Saturday spend a couple of hours just photographing anything that is in sight using the back button function to get used to it.
      Back button is easy... but then again as you say, Sunday is getting close
      David

Comment

Hi!, I wasn't thinking of focus lock for this coming sunday as I am quite sure I can have the subjects in my sights and take the photo all in one go.I have been to the site more than once and even tonight I will be in church for choir practice and I will double check that everything is OK My question was for my future use of focus lock esp as my over seas travel arrangements are coming up -although here I will have good daylight to contend with, apart from th Oberamagama Passion Play which is in the afternoon and night. Also I won't be under any STRESS.

Yes, I am aware of the back button which I will try out after this Sunday.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I'm sure i've read somewhere that focus lock and then recompose can sometimes lead to a slightly out of focus shot if you inadvertantly move the camera forwards or backwards (I assume) whilst recomposing. Is it not beeter to select the autofocus point instead? I have to say it is sometimes a pain and easier to use the centre point.

Comment

Thats exactly the problem I seem to be having. So I will use the centre point for important,once in way, shots and play around with focus lock at mhy leisure.

Comment

One other thing to bear in mind when using AF and focus-lock is that it's rare for most lenses to acquire precise focus at the first attempt!

If I'm using AF, single-shot, I almost always focus twice; once to get the lens in the right general arena; and the second half-press generally locks on precisely. You can always hear the USM on the lens correcting itself on the second focus!
              I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
              Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Hmmm, interesting observation. I must try that.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

I do that too - although usually three times (I saw a pro do that and just followed the same logic CF mentioned).

I use the back button for focus and I've had good results with focus recompose except at larger apertures than f4 - Can be ok at 2.8 depending on distance to subject and focal length but at f2.8 and larger - you need to be precice generally.
                  5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Working...
                  X