memory card lies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

memory card lies

a cut and paste of a thread my son did for another forum ,as he is trying to find a fast card for his new 7Dmk2 interesting and worth absorbing .

Thought it would be worth letting you all know my findings while looking for a new memory card for the 7D Mk II Thursday night.With a faster card you can take more images in a sequence especially when shooting Raw as the buffer fills up and clears quickly.

I was drawn to the Lexar 800X card which is about £40 for a 32GB card. Great I thought about £10-15 cheaper than the equivalent Sandisk card. But after looking into it the 800x card only gives you the 800X speed (120MB/s) on the read speed not the write speed. It took a bit of digging and as they don't mention on there site the write speeds, only that there lower than the read speeds. I found on youtube and amazon reviews that it actually writes at 56MB/s. This is quite a difference from the 800x (120MB/s) the card is rated for.

I mashed my head looking at the different cards and sites trying to find one that had a fast write speed but didn't cost the earth. Really for me I know that lexar and Sandisk (my current choice of card) is rated highly and I didn't want to go to a different brand for fear of inferior products. I know that with the SD cards I have some higher rated cards ( again for read speeds) actually give slower write speeds which I have tested in camera ( 70D) and speed that the buffer fills faster and clears slower, as you would expect I guess expect but the difference is about 5 seconds for clear time which is a lot when your out there in the field.

After looking around I found Sandisk seem to be one of the better makers for cards with read and write speeds being close to each other. The Current SD card I use a Sandisk Extreme 32GB is rated at 40MB/s Write and 45MB/s Read and the card says on it 45MB/s. It's close enough to be fair I'd say. After much digging I decided the best value card would be an SD card! A Sandisk extreme Pro 32GB card which is a 95MB/s card, yes for read but thankfully 90MB/s for write. Again only 5MB/s in it. This card is also £40 but much faster than the 800X CF at writing. I didn't want to get another SD card but it seemed like the faster choice for the money, Im just hoping it is as manuals suggest that CF will give the best speeds but I can't see that unless you get a CF card that actually writes faster. Once I get the card I'll let you know how it performs. I really am surprised and a bit shocked that Memory card ratings are based on the faster of the 2 speeds which is almost always the write speed that has no benefit to how quickly images are saved to them in your camera only how fast you can play them back or download them to a computer.

My advice is look into both read and write speeds before buying your card, Make sure your camera supports the standard for the card your getting as the fastest CF cards are UDMA 7 and the fastest SD cards are UHS-I , and if your camera doesn't support those you won't see the benefit.

Re: memory card lies

Very interesting as I, and I suspect am not alone, hadn't realised there was a difference but will make a point of checking in future.

I rarely use a scatter-gun approach but did notice only this week that shooting a sequence of bracketed shots for a multi-image pano I had to wait before previewing so slow cards can even impact the landscape photographer.

Cheers,
    John

Comment

just did my own follow up to this ,and checked up on my memory who are a trusted u.k retailer ,they actually list the read and write speeds for most cards in there adverts ,interestingly enough lexar who are supposed to be a top manufacturer DO NOT list there write speed where as most others do ,the 45mb sandisk cards (new yellow face) seem to come out best with a combined R/W speed of around 45mb sec .very interesting and something i wouldn't have thought of checking till ashley pointed me to it just now when he asked if i had read his post .

Comment

For anyone confused with the number of markings on SD cards -- See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_...d_class_rating as it explains what the 'Class' and 'UHS Speed Class' mean in terms of 'minimum' write speeds. Naturally the SD controller in the camera has to be up to the job and support the appropriate bus.

Comment

When I got my 7D I bought two double packs of 8GB Sandisk Extreme cards from Amazon, UDMA and marked at 60 MB/s. Because they took a while to arrive I also bought a 16GB PNY Card branded as Elite Performance and rated at 100MB/s. Since then I've stuck to the Sandisks but last weekend I took a lot of bursts using the PNY in my mk II and it definitely seemed the buffer took a lot longer to clear than with the Sandisk I'd been using previously.

Having checked the specs, the PNY reads at 100MB/s and writes at 50GB/s where the Sandisk reads and writes at 60MB/s.

Thanks for the heads up Jeff.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Another important point re. write speeds is whether you are writing to both cards or not. At the moment I am writing RAWs to SD and jpegs to CF and this slows down the whole procedure. Normally I only use RAW but as LR doesn't yet have a plugin for this I am having to use jpegs, however I still want to record RAW for future processing.

David
            PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

It does say "up to" 90MB/s for Writes on the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards, I have several and they are a lot slower than that when i tested them, although they may be from previous generations as these things get updated often. I do find them a lot faster than the Extreme (non-Pro) cards though, I get about twice the write speed. (I did some tests as my GH4 can shoot 200Mbps video and has a much higher burst rate - 8 fps with AF each shot or 12 fps with AF only on first shot - than my Canon cameras, so can eat through buffer and get into caring about card performance pretty quickly.)

Comment

I think the way manufacturers market and sell memory cards today borders on deception and mis-selling
                Almost exclusively, the manufacturers quote read speeds ONLY as a way to 'trump' the competition. But read speeds are irrelevant until you download the images using a card-reader, when the faster cards will obviously get your images into the PC quicker.
                The most limiting factor with write speeds is the speed of the camera buffer transfer, and I think camera manufacturers are almost in cahoots with card manufacturers, as it's extremely difficult to find specs on buffer transfer speeds. If these were easily available, we might find that the maximum write speed of the card we need is actually much less than the speed of the latest bit of kit the card manufacturers want to push.
                Sorry for the rant, but I have wasted so much money in the past believing card manufacturers hype, only to find that my camera couldn't use the write speed anyway.
                1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

all this started as my ashley was trying to get the fastest performance out of his new 7dmk2 ,apparently a new 95mb write speed sandisk extreme pro turned up this morning and its twice as fast with more capacity than the other one previously mentioned ,i will probably get one for the 70d as well

Comment

Very interesting Jeff,

I have 2 cards that I've being using over the weekend #1 Lexar x800 CF card/#2 Lexar x400 SD card. and without doubt the x400 SD card is so much faster yet you would think it should be the other way round????.
                    As you and members have pointed out don't be fooled by some of the numbers floating about.

Paul
                    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I'm glad you posted this because I was eyeing up those Lexar 800X cards for my 5D3. Not now. I don't even plug an SD card into the camera anymore it's like tying a brick to your champer while doing the 100mm breast stroke.
                      I only use a camera like I use a toothbrush. It does the job - Don McCullin

Comment

If you are considering using SD cards one other thing to check is which of the go-faster SD options their camera supports, like UHS-II (has extra pins on the card) and UHS Class 3 (30MB/s min writes, which can be combined with UHS-I or II).

I posted the following link in the 7DmkII thread and it's also worth a read:
                        Why Your Memory Card Choice Matters and Rocking to the Sounds of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II — The-Digital-Picture.com
                        Last edited by DrJon; 11-11-2014, 15:45. Reason: Increase instances of the letter "e" in "the" to above zero

Comment

Working...
                        X