7D mk II ISO 3200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D mk II ISO 3200

A female sparrow shot in my back garden today. 7D mk II, 400L and ISO 3200. Processed from raw through DPP to TIFF and them to photoshop. No noise reduction applied at all and I think she looks pretty good for it. OK there's some speckling in the leaves behind her but I don't think it's to the level that it causes offence. And she stands out quite well as the subject.

I'm liking this camera more and more.

3B1A8089 by andymulhearn, on Flickr

And an OOC jpeg of the same processed raw.

3B1A8089-1 by andymulhearn, on Flickr

If you look at the neck of the bird, the feathers seem nowhere near as crisp as in my processing which suggests a selective NR applied to the background would probably be about all it needs...
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Re: 7D mk II ISO 3200

Comment

Is it just me but does the OOC jpeg look less bitty in the back ground?
      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

Very good but there's more to come. I'm up in Northumbria at the moment for a few days birding & photography and have several images of birds up to ISO 16000 with no troublesome noise. I will post a few examples when I get home.

David
        PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

Very nice Andy

Tom

Comment

Cheers everyone. They're just "snaps" of back garden birds here for the ISO not any artistic merit

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
            Is it just me but does the OOC jpeg look less bitty in the back ground?
            I suspect there's some sharpening and noise reduction in the camera jpeg which led to the slight softening of the feathers but the improved noise in the leaves in the background...

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
            Very good but there's more to come. I'm up in Northumbria at the moment for a few days birding & photography and have several images of birds up to ISO 16000 with no troublesome noise. I will post a few examples when I get home.

David
            I look forward to it David
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Redshank taken in very poor light and heavy rain. Some adjustment of levels and cropping in LR plus a tad sharpening in Snapheal but otherwise no NR applied. A little smoothing of detail but this maybe down to in-camera NR applied to jpegs. Only when I can examine RAWs will I be able to tell.

ISO 16,000

591A5701 by dmorison24, on Flickr

David

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

Nice. The others on Flickr are pretty good too

Comment

This is the same shot but the RAW file converted in DPP and processed in Snapheal - still no NR applied.

591A5701 by dmorison24, on Flickr

David

Comment

Against my better judgement I went out latish today in poor conditions to see how the camera coped. The sky was leaden with very poor light so I knew it would be a challenge. First to a local Red Kite hotspot where upwards of six were quartering. Because of the very poor light I had to up my exposure by two and a third stops and at 3200 ISO noise in the shadows was noticeable. A last minute visit to a hide ended up with me shooting a Great Tit in a bush at 16000 ISO and noise, particularly in the OOF areas was very noticeable. However the conditions were such that I wouldn't have attempted anything with the Mk1 so I'm pretty happy that I got something useable from the Kites.

591A6457 by dmorison24, on Flickr

591A6456 by dmorison24, on Flickr

591A6339 by dmorison24, on Flickr

David

Comment

The Great Tit at 16,000 is amazing - I can't wait to upgrade .................... but I will have too

Dave
                      www.trikietowers.com

Comment

Working...
                      X