Canon 7D MKII -v- 7D MK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 7D MKII -v- 7D MK1

I've had a 7D2 for a short while, so I'll share my thoughts, what I will say, I've had a 7D for 5 years, and it has stood up well for all my wildlife/sports shooting in that time, rarely missed a beat, and produced some excellent images. And I've never ever subscribed to the notion that the 7D ISO capability is crap above ISO400, I regularly shoot at ISO1600 and even push a little further if I can nail the exposure, producing crisp, clean images.

Anyway, the 7D2 is a nice evolutionary upgrade, feeling similar in hand to the original.

Specifically, ISO capability, mainly for my own use (and not to be considered particularly scientific), I compiled a chart looking at the 7D against the 7D2 at different ISO, taken with a 300mm F2.8 lens, shot in RAW, no noise reduction, with 200% crops of a selection of the RAW files.

The original image, the arrow indicating where I took a 200% crop slice from (as it seemed to contain the most noise)

The comparison table at each ISO

From the table, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference between each model, perhaps 1/2 a stop in favour of 7D2 ?, what I have noticed though, is that the 7D2 images 'scrub up' a little better than the 7D images, resulting in a cleaner final image, don't know if this is because of the slightly larger file size?, taken together resulting in perhaps a 1 stop advantage to the 7D2.

In respect of autofocus and tracking, the 7D2 has been an absolute revelation, the 7D autofucus/tracking was very good in decent light, particularly as I always had fast primes attached, which helped, but suffered in low light, the major weakness of the original 7D IMO. While the 7D2 is in a different league, it performs exceptionally well in low light, this morning I took the dogs out walking over the fields, before sunrise, just as it was starting to get light, a friend of mine had a black border collie, chasing a thrown frisbee, the 7D2 locked on and stayed glued to the dog , even while it was running towards me, very, very impressive. This for me, filled the major deficiency in the original 7D.

Like others I had some hesitation in upgrading, I was more than happy with my 7D, but I'm pleased I did, the 7D2 has built on what was a good camera, and added a few useful bells and whistles that I haven't yet got round to trying.

I don't think the 7D2 will be replacing my 1DS3 anytime soon for landscapes/people, but I can't wait to try it out on the Harewood red kites.
    Last edited by Les McLean; 13-01-2015, 18:35.
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Re: Canon 7D MKII -v- 7D MK1

Interesting work and outcome Les and as you say in the examples you have posted there's not a lot in it. I totally agree with what you said about the ISO capability of the original 7D as I often use mine at 800 and 1600 ISO.

Bill.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

An interesting study/experiment Les, thanks for posting it.

I can't honestly say, that I found any shortcomings with my 7D, at least not in the situations that I used it.

I moved up to the 5D3, simply because I wanted to go Full-Frame.

However, I can now say that ignoring the full-frame aspect, the 5D3 has proved to be a significant step-up from the 7D, but in fairness, so was the price!!.

Dave
      Dave

Comment

I remember when I covered the helicopter crash in Glasgow. I used the 7D and 70-200 2.8. Because of the light I had no choice but to ramp it up to 6400. Perfectly usable files and I could never understand why folk hated it for that.
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Great account Les - most impressed with your methodology
          James
          James Boardman Woodend
          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Thanks all, when I bought my 7DII, I also invested in a new SD card, as I realised my old CF &SD cards would be a tad slow, gosh, I didn't realise just how slow they are, or perhaps how far memory cards had progressed!!!

I tested 3 cards in my 7D2, rattled off as many RAW shots in one burst as the camera could manage, then timed how long the buffer took to clear.
            First was my new card -Lexar Pro 600x SDXC 64GB....took 9 seconds to clear the buffer, compared to 29 secs for a Class 10 SDHC 32GB, and 34 seconds for a Kingston 133X CF 16GB.

So roughly 3 times the speed, and at £25 delivered, pretty decent value for money I think, compared to what we used to pay for memory cards a few years ago, it's an absolute steal.
            Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
            Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

That was a good write up Les thanks for posting it. A good price for the card as well, where did you buy it from please?
              Peter

Feel free to browse my
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Hi Peter, from Ebay

And yes, it's genuine

Comment

Thanks Les
                  Peter

Feel free to browse my
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Came across this Memory card speed comparison table for 7D MKII (posted over on Talk Photography), although American, I found useful, particularly as a Yorkshireman, it could stop me wasting money on cards of similar speeds, but around 5 times the difference in price !!!

Comment

A great comparison Les. Well done. I am hoping to lay my hands on a 7dmk2 and trying it out in my sort of interior (church) pictures and see how well it performs against the 6D.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

6D is the low light king of Canon Nat.
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

my lads just sold his 7D2 after a couple of months .still can't figure out entirely why .when you browse through various forums some seem happy with them others disappointed

Comment

That's a brand swap thing though Jeff. And to be fair, regardless of any quality concerns people have, Nikon are eating Canon's lunch at the enthuses FF level where the D750 and D810 seem to be far more attractive propositions than the 5D III...
                            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I have read some reviews stating that Nikon are let down by their lenses. The Canon lenses are supposedly far superior esp in the longer ranges. If this is correct, then it is the lens that ultimately produces that prize winning entry. I am also going back to James (jimphotography) Aura photo which was taken with Canon equipment against world wide competition.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X