Aircraft picture problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aircraft picture problem

Hi all I have a Canon 7d and have a problem with taking pictures of aircraft in flight.At the weekend I went to East Kirkby and took some pictures of a small fly by by the BBMF Lancaster I had the ISO set to 320,F was set to 6.3,spot metering and I was using a Sigma 70-300mm lens focal lenght was 100mm but some of the pictures came out fine but some where foggy with all the sky burned out.Looking at the info on DPP I found the camera had altered the shutter speed from 1/1250(which where fine)to 1/500(which where not fine).I would like to know is there a way to stop it doing this or is it a case to go to M and set them all first.
    My friends call me Woody

Re: Aircraft picture problem

Not an expert on plane pics, but the problem is probably related to the spot metering. If the camera takes a reading from a darker part of the fuselage, then that's what it will expose for and the lighter parts like the sky will be overexposed. Probably be better to use centre weighted or average, that way the exposure will be calculated taking a percentage of a wider part of the frame into account.

Comment

The problem is probably related to the spot metering.
      I go along with that. Using AV mode + spot metering you need to be careful were you meter from, and in the case of moving subjects like planes they can fly into ‘different light’ so even if you picked the ‘right spot’ it could be wrong fractions of secs later as you pan with the plane.

You mentioned using DPP to analyze your results, and you noticed that longer shutter speeds let in more light leading to overexposure. You may be able to take this a stage further by looking at the active focus point – if it’s on a dark area chances are the brighter areas of the scene will be overexposed. The opposite if the active focus in on a light area

There are a few ways to try to mimimise this problem, you could even continue as you are doing – and take loads of pics and hope for a decent percentage of keepers.
      I’ve had fair success with manual of clear blue sky days ( I’ve only been to two airshows). Can you post any pics so we can see what the light was like ?

I’m no expert I’m thinking at those relatively fast shutterpeeds, you won’t get any prop blur on those BBMF planes on a bright day. ?

Millie
      Last edited by Millie; 03-06-2010, 22:36. Reason: typo

Comment

Yes Millie your right about the blur,funny how you avoid it in your pictures but in mine you need it

My friends call me Woody

Comment

Yes Millie your right about the blur,funny how you avoid it in your pictures but in mine you need it
          LOL It’s all part of the fun of photography Zed one !
          I once posted a helicopter pic and some ‘cheeky so and so’ asked me if the engines had failed and it was about to drop out of the sky. :-)

I think you need a nice smooth panning technique with the 'right' slower shutterspeed.
          What that shutter speed is, I don’t remember it’s been a while since I tried, I’m sure someone knows.

It might be easier to use TV for these slower planes with props. That might involve a slower ISO speed and a filter on really bright days. You’ll still have the metering problem, maybe centre weighted is the answer ?

Thanks for posting the images !
          Millie

Comment

ISO 100 when pointing at a bright sky would be a good start (even in summer with clouds) and also high f numbers as this will help in case of the focus being slightly out
            ef-r

Comment

Take a reading off the grass (I find that roughly equals an 18% gray) ... and go into manual mode ... as long as the sun doesn't change that works for me. Dial in a bit of compensation using the histogram if needed.

Comment

For decent prop-blur on something like the Lanc; you need to be looking at c. 1/125...

I've also been heavily critised in the past for shooting 'frozen props', but in the 'heat of the moment' when you're concentrating on getting the shot, the last thing that comes to (my) mind is to reduce the damned shutter-speed; when we're conditioned to keeping the speed up!!!

Anyhow; we're getting into the air-show season now and the BBMF flight will be around the country a lot; so plenty of time to practice! Fortunately we no longer have to worry about huge numbers of 'wasted' rolls of film at least!

Cheers...
                I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Nothing wrong with the metering. On the first it's exposed for a dark aircraft and on the second for a brighter sky. Clearly the problem is what the metering is picking up on. I've limited airshow experience, and the Lanc is quite difficult to blur the props as they're not spinning that quickly. If lighting is consistent, go for manual, if not I use TV with partial metering and try to be careful to hit the aircraft.

Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Firstly and most important is you need control over shutter speed and this will depend on the aircraft you are shooting - some travel slowly with props, others very quickly! The ISO and aperture value are important in determining an appropriate shutter speed - As you arenormally some distance from the aircraft, aperture is not so important so generally I'm shooting wide open. ISO should be used to get the required shutter speed you need. Even wide open, you are generally so far away from the aircraft that you will get most of the aircraft in focus but that is dependant on the lens you use. ISO can be anything from 100-800 depending on the light you have and the SS you require.

The important point though is that when you expose for the sky, it's likely that the aircraft will be under exposed - it's backlit. You don't have any options generally but to add some exposure (obviously the this is weather dependant and the amount will vary)) I'll usually take a few images (spot metering can help) chimp then set in manual when I'm happy with the exposure. This means consistent results unlike the ones I posted taken ay my first airshow :)

Even if you have to overexpose the sky. If you get a nice blue sky, that helps a lot -you still over expose a bit but you can recover it well in post. If you get a bright grey sky, you are likely going to end up having to over expose it to get the aircraft exposed properly (as noted above)

I've been to a few and enjoy shooting at shows. A 300mm+ lens is a big help.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by EOS_Jim; 05-06-2010, 02:18.
                    5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Hi Zed,

Here's what I do for my airshow piccies. Taking pictures of Prop aircraft - TV priority, because you want to control the amount of prop blur - You don't want the aircraft to look like an Airfix model hanging on a cloths line - Speed is usually 1/400th; Favourite ISO - 200. If its a bright, cloudy background you may want to up the EV by + 0.3 or even + 0.7. Another thing to look at with the 7D is the AF Servo Tracking sensitivity in C.FnIII; 1 - You want to de-tune the sensitivity - I have mine set between the mid point & slow. I'm not that keen on spot metering, I prefer the whole evaluation - but I do use a bigger lens & get in very close to the aircraft. As for the AF setting itself - I sometime use all 19 focusing points, but favour assisted centre spot.

As for taking pictures of jets - up the shutter speed - 1/1000 is good for really sharp pictures.

A few of my efforts.

TTFN,
                      Neil
                      Last edited by Neilly; 06-06-2010, 21:15.
                      Neilly's Flickr Page
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
                      Facebook
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Very interesting info Neil, will have to remember it for my visit to RIAT this year :)

Comment

Working...
                        X