EOS1D Mk IV - tips please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS1D Mk IV - tips please

I'm a lucky bunny and being loaned a Mk IV for a week whilst I visit the IoW. Have any owners any tips on setting up the CF's for general purpose use (actually landscapes, ships, tractors, etc ... rather than sport or fast moving object or portraits). I'll have enough to read as it is ... so would really appreciate any tips on using this camera along side my 7D. Just some one put the fear of God in me ... about setting the beast up 'correctly' ...

Thanks in advance.

Re: EOS1D Mk IV - tips please

Who's a lucky boy then?

Thankfully, as you are not doing any fast action stuff, the set-up isn't so critical. First, make a note of any custom functions that you change, so you can change them back before you return the camera.

Here are some suggestions:

C.Fn II 1 - set to 0: Off

C.Fn II 2 - set to 3: Disable

C.Fn II 3 - set to 0: Disable

C.FnII 4 - set to 3: Disable

With all of the above off, or disabled, you should be able to maximise the quality and anything else you need is pretty much commonsense really.

Just relax and enjoy it and think of it as a big brother to your 7D.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin C. I'm dreading taking to the 1D ... and having to explain to SWMBO why I need her to buy me another Camera ;-)

Comment

Tell her it's because you are a brilliant photographer and you need the right tool for the job.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Got camera ... will set up and spent the afternoon getting use to it as its somewhat different from the 7D and 40D.

Comment

Just a little bit.

Try not to drop it, as it will break whatever it lands on!

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Managed 600 snaps. The grip is better (more ergonomic) than the 7D. It's heavier than the 7D. High ISO is better than the 7D. It's straightforward to use (even in Manual). Battery seemed to last and last. Like the ability to write the CF settings to the card (and recall them ... to another Series 1 I guess). Images stunning as you'd expect. Pity I can't justify the £4k :-(

It spent most of the time with the 300 on the front ... but the 24-105 did get some use.

Managed not to land it in cumulus granitus ;-) or drop it overboard ...

Nice camera ... and thanks to my Pro Dealer for the free loan for 8 days ;-) ;-) ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                Pity I can't justify the £4k :-(
                You will. Your pro dealer knew what he was doing. Three months and you'll have one.

The battery is good for 2500 shots minimum. As long as you are not out in freezing temperatures, or you chimp a lot, you can bank on 4000 shots. If you don't chimp at all and do not have IS activated on your lens, you can get 5000 shots in warmer conditions.

Writing CF settings to a card is usefull if you have a loan body, use another 1 series as a second body, or if you fiddle with the settings and things aren't working so well, pop in the card and return to your previous settings that worked.

It is heavy, but that adds to it's stability, especially with L series lenses attached.

High ISO is very good. I often use ISO 1600 as standard without a second thought. 3200 can do with a light noise reduction pass, 6400 a little more ........... I haven't needed to venture higher than that.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Colin - The more I review the 12GB of images ... the more I’m convincing myself that there is substantially more detail in the images than those taken with the 7D. I really should have found time to do a side by side comparison. Would I be able to convince SWMBO to buy me one ... I’ll have to work on that one ;-)

Oh dear I appear to be weakening .....................

Comment

Working...
                  X