Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7d2file rendering

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
    i will try to arrange a meet up and trial with a friend that i know has his set up properly and take it from there ,and that is where i suspect ??? that these discrepancies i see creeping in are coming from,i know for a fact there's a small group of friends up here that use them extremely well but keep there settings very much to themselves .
    You're making no sense here Jeff. As far as I can recall you've not publicly asked anyone for any settings we're using on our 7D2s or how we process the resulting raw files. And certainly not me

What does setting up properly mean anyway?
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

probably only to myself andy ,and knowing your in camera set up would be useless to me as i don't own the camera ,lets put it in context i borrowed one for a hour a few weeks ago ,to be perfectly honest it was in a right state already ,the guy had totally no idea what settings he was using and thought you just had to point it and shoot and get a perfect shot .

there are however others i know that have taken the time to delve into the in-camera settings and got them to work and are exclusively wildlife /bird photographers ,this is what i want to use one of those cameras ,as the one i tried gave useless results ,if i am going to invest a grand in a camera i want to be 100% certain its going to improve my results not give me the same as what i already have but in a different body shell .does this now make more sense to you

Comment

daft question Jeff why not hire one for the weekend, you can fiddle and tweak all you like ;o)
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

nope, that bit I can make sense of Jeff
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Jeff, if we lived closer to one another you would be more than welcome to borrow mine for a week or so.

I've not delved that much into the settings as everything I shoot is RAW. Id rather have total control than let the camera take over. Having said that, when I spent the day with Dave Stallard I shot in JPEG as well and he very kindly showed me the settings he uses on his camera, albeit not a 7D2.

Not sure that helps you at all just wanted to comment
            Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Thanks I know the path to tread I hope ,waiting a reply from a friend ,as I initially said I can see a harshness in some shots from some people ,so it's either ,camera ,lens ,or settings/user error ,which is why I need someone's camera that I know has it set right ,even shooting in raw there are various settings that effect the finished shot .

Comment

Jeff, raw files are pretty much unaffected by any camera settings - picture style, white balance, the lot. So what do you mean by camera settings affecting raw files? Other than exposure of course.

Comment

The recovery speed etc Andy ,and picture styles WILL affect RAW files ,they can be changed back I know but there is a subtle difference .i was though refer inning more to the way the a.f system works ,what I really want to check though is clarity at long range ,noise ,and how the files lend themselves to p.p in general ,unless you have processed shots from a 1 series you won't appreciate what I mean ,there is a noticeable difference

Comment

Picture styles do not affect RAW Jeff. That's why their called RAW files, they're the unprocessed sensor data plus the camera settings and a small jpeg which is processed with the camera style etc. you have set.

From here: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...aw_and_jpeg.do

A RAW file is the image data exactly as captured on the sensor. Any settings you apply in white balance, Picture Styles and some other areas are only appended to the image as a small header file.

Comment

Picture styles do not affect RAW Jeff
                      I am quite surprised that Jeff thought they did. As you say and like many of the effects available in camera such a long exposure and high ISO noise reduction, is only applied to jpegs. Which is the reason I leave all these things disabled and if anything needs sorting, do it post processing

Stan
                      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                      flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                        That's why their called RAW files, they're the unprocessed sensor data
                        Its true that RAW files capture more of the original data than a JPEG file but to say that a RAW file is unprocessed sensor data is a myth. The information coming off the sensor is in analogue format and has to be processed into digital format - the processed bit depth may cause some loss of information. Secondly, the ISO settings activates signal amplification processing - all this before the RAW file is recorded.
                        James
                        James Boardman Woodend
                        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
                          Its true that RAW files capture more of the original data than a JPEG file but to say that a RAW file is unprocessed sensor data is a myth. The information coming off the sensor is in analogue format and has to be processed into digital format - the processed bit depth may cause some loss of information. Secondly, the ISO settings activates signal amplification processing - all this before the RAW file is recorded.
                          James
                          All of which is true, but it does not say that any of the camera settings that affect the resulting jpeg output are applied to the file. So as far as the raw image is concerned there is no sharpening, no picture style, no colours applied no nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                            All of which is true, but it does not say that any of the camera settings that affect the resulting jpeg output are applied to the file. So as far as the raw image is concerned there is no sharpening, no picture style, no colours applied no nothing.
                            I totally agree with you Andy.
                            I was just trying to be informative about what actually happens before the RAW file is recoded.
                            Cheers
                            James
                            James Boardman Woodend
                            www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
                              I totally agree with you Andy.
                              I was just trying to be informative about what actually happens before the RAW file is recoded.
                              OK

Comment

I thought this quote from Andy Rouse Blog concerning the 7 D Mk 2 & his prefers settings may be of interest to some.
                                He says -

Now a little about the processing. It was shot with a "Faithful" picture style which applies 0 sharpening. This is a really really important point and you need to understand its significance. If you set the style as " Standard" then sharpening is applied to the whole image. If you leave this untouched then the RAW converter, Canon's DPP in this case, will sharpen the RAW during processing to the same degree and you will get a TIFF that has been sharpened across the whole image. This means all the noisy bits have been sharpened too!!!

James
                                James Boardman Woodend
                                www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Working...
                                X