Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7D Mark II - Soft Images?

Originally posted by taxboy View Post
    At the moment I think there are a few too many variables to nail down a possible issue. If you still have your old camera I would take some images on a tripod in the garden of static subject with your 400mm. This gives a baseline to work from. I would then change camera and take the same shots. The comparison will provide a starting point of where to go next.
    Sounds like a good approach to me
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by hectorpaljr View Post
      Can you explain the usb hub to an ignorant digital novice? thanks
      the latest sigma lenses in the art/contemporary/sport lines have a dedicated hub fitting whereby you can actually tune your lens to work exactly how you want it to via a computer download .

this is obviously on top of any in camera menu adjustments you make ,suffice to say it actually works and works well .

this has absolutely nothing to do with the original post re the 7d2 its just i picked up on the fact the OP was using a sigma sport

Comment

Originally posted by scarletti View Post
        Shooting Raw and post processing in Lightroom 6. I've left sharpening at the default, and boosted the Clarity and Vibrance instead.
        Thanks Wooley... I'll try re-processing some of the earlier Raw files with increased sharpening.

Having started out with a 300D, I picked up the 50D and got decent results instantly. Obviously, there's quite a learning curve with the 7D MK II.
        Clarity does something else, sharpening makes the biggest difference. It's always the last thing I do - I'm sure I read somewhere that helps to avoid artifacts appearing - so you could possibly just try that with a couple of otherwise processed images to see what it does. You may need to knock the clarity back first.
        Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Well, after a few frustrating days of trying all sorts of solutions, I think I know what the problem was!!

Thanks for the pointer about IS Andy. It would appear that even resting on the frame of a bird hide is enough for the IS to cause the soft images. To compound things, I carried out the microadjustment with the camera on a tripod, with the IS on (doh!).

After a couple of wasted mornings, I tried again in some bright sunshine, and it looked obvious to me in the viewfinder that the focus wasn't correct, so I switched off microadjustment, and the difference was obvious. That, and a dose of sharpening (thanks Woolley) have finally yielded this, which I'm happy with...

BY6A9183 by Ian Scarlett, on Flickr

Hopefully I can now start to learn and use more of the autofocus facilities.

Many thanks to all (not just Andy and Woolley because there's plenty of other good stuff among the replies) who have taken time to provide their tips and wisdom. Without this forum, the camera may have gone back, and I would have egg on my face when it returned with no fault found.

Comment

that looks good

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Looks good to me Better on flickr too...
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

You've nailed it I would say Ian
                Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

I know I'm dredging up an old post of mine, but I'm still not convinced about my 7D Mk ii.

If the image fills the frame, then it seems reasonably sharp, but if I have to do any form of cropping, then images look soft to me. I invested in Reikan Focal to set the micro adjustment to rule that out as the issue.

Can someone have a look at this image please, and let me know if you think it's soft, or if I'm just expecting too much from the camera?

I normally process with Lightroom 6, but this time I processed it with DPP, using no adjustments, other than unsharp mask with strength 7. I can't see a lot of difference between the resulting JPGs from either package.

The image was taken with my Sigma 150-600 Sport and is uncropped from the original Raw file. It was taken at f6.3, 1/2500s, ISO 400, resting on the frame of a bird hide (this was with IS on, but another I took without IS showed no difference in sharpness). Given those settings, I think I can rule out camera shake, and DPP shows the focus point to be slap bang in the middle of the eye.

I get the same issue with other lenses, so I don't suspect a problem with the Sigma.

Comment

My brother in law had same kind of issues. In his case updating to latest FW resolved things.
                    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                      My brother in law had same kind of issues. In his case updating to latest FW resolved things.
                      Thanks antoeknee, but I made sure I kept up to date with the latest releases.

Comment

The image looks sharp to me with plenty of detail, perhaps the eyes slightly soft but only slightly, but at a speed of 2500th you could have reduced it and stopped down a little to enhance sharpness, but on my laptop there seems to be nothing wrong with the sharpess of the image

Comment

Scarletti have you purchased the USB hub for your lens yet ,if not this is where the problem lies ,there are now at least two firmware updates for the lens ,plus it helps if tuned as well .
                          As to your issues with turning the I.s off when using tripod or hide ledge ,I will state that I have had my lens over a year now using it hand held,tripod,monopod ,ledges,and windowsills ,etc and never yet turned off I.s .
                          You have a camera and lens combo costing well over 2K and haven't spent £30 to get it working properly ???

Comment

Thank Gord. So, either I'm expecting too much from the camera, or I need a new monitor!!

Comment

Thanks Mr Fox

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                              Scarletti have you purchased the USB hub for your lens yet ,if not this is where the problem lies ,there are now at least two firmware updates for the lens ,plus it helps if tuned as well .
                              Yes, I have the USB hub, and have updated the firmware. It isn't just this lens, I also have an old 400mm f5.6L, which I also think looks soft on the 7Dii.

As to your issues with turning the I.s off when using tripod or hide ledge ,I will state that I have had my lens over a year now using it hand held,tripod,monopod ,ledges,and windowsills ,etc and never yet turned off I.s .
                              I mentioned the IS because previous posts have suggested this may be a problem. Like you, I haven't seen any differences (when the lens is supported on something) with IS on or off.

You have a camera and lens combo costing well over 2K and haven't spent £30 to get it working properly ???
                              I'm happy to spend whatever it needs to get it working (already purchased the USB hub, and Reikan Focal).

I'm really just trying to find out if the problem is me (technique or unrealistic expectations), or if there is a problem with the camera that I should send off for Canon to look at.

Comment

o.k have you tuned it up via the hub i.e using C1 or C2 on the lens employed main focus point priority and dynamic o.s

if yes the only other answer could be in your p/p i have seen you mention lightroom ,but not photoshop ,these days i use a combo of lightroom and photoshop CC combined with nik efex colour to achieve the end result .

however i will say that since having had to move from a older camera 1D3 10MP to a 80D 24mp the initial RAW files look softer and noisier ,however once processed they exceed anything i achieved before .

its a learning curve ,especially with a big lens like the sport ,it took me quiet a long time to feel at ease with it and theres still times it catches me out ,what you have to remember as well is that with all of us from andy rouse down to someone with there first camera you ONLY see the best images never the also rans ,i probably delete 75% or more pics per session as i,m sure do most others .

Comment

Working...
                                X